News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Winter Thread

Started by hmaria1609, December 15, 2020, 07:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hmaria1609

Round #2 for the metro DC area:
https://wtop.com/weather-news/2022/01/after-record-snowstorm-dc-region-deals-with-slick-road-conditions-power-outages/
Posted on WTOP Radio 1/4/22
Update to my earlier post: I-95 in VA has cleared out and reopened again.

I appreciated the later opening time at the library today. Light commuting traffic on the way home. I stopped off at a local gas station to clear off the salt treatment on the glass.

Parasaurolophus

The rain and freezing rain melted most of the snow, but we have 20-30cm on the way overnight.

I don't think this area has ever seen so much snow--that's, like, 50-60cm over two weeks.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Notes to self:

1. OK, fine, it's cold out. You can do lots of energetic things inside. Do 'em.

2. Wanting 'comfort food' is no excuse: it's not about eating your way through the day.

3. Unlike Eric Carle's 'Hungry Little Caterpillar,' humans who keep eating don't get to spin cocoons and turn into butterflies. If we eat through all the pages in the book , we just get fat.

All analogies, even one as gorgeously illustrated as that, do break down, sometime.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

smallcleanrat

Quote from: mamselle on January 05, 2022, 10:23:11 AM
Notes to self:

1. OK, fine, it's cold out. You can do lots of energetic things inside. Do 'em.

2. Wanting 'comfort food' is no excuse: it's not about eating your way through the day.

3. Unlike Eric Carle's 'Hungry Little Caterpillar,' humans who keep eating don't get to spin cocoons and turn into butterflies. If we eat through all the pages in the book , we just get fat.

All analogies, even one as gorgeously illustrated as that, do break down, sometime.

M.

Thanks for the chuckle, mamselle.

mamselle

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

OT, but...

Quote from: mamselle on January 05, 2022, 10:23:11 AM

I've been reading that story a lot, lately. I have to say it:

• It eats through the salami, not a slice of salami.
  • If it builds a cocoon, it becomes a moth; if it becomes a butterfly, it builds a chrysalis.
  • Most importantly: the butterfly's wings are upside down, which bodes poorly for its future.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Ah, I can guess what the hatchling is listening to!

Points well taken.

;--}

M.

Harlow2

Snow, second time this week! And finally cold-ish.

Langue_doc

Snow, but I don't have to go anywhere, or even move the car because street cleaning is suspended today. I can hear windshields being cleared. Some of the colleges are closed but schools are open.

mamselle

I looked out at 5 AM, shivered and went back to sleep.

It was pretty, soft, steady, big flakes wafting down like feathers.

I looked out a few hours later, awake.

Smaller flakes, still steady, but more purposeful, business-like.

'We have to get this done," they said to each other. "Just a little more time to cover the earth, before the snow plows come..."

M.

Puget

First snow of any note this winter, which is unusual. Always a nice neighborly occasion-- My next door neighbors got my drive and the sidewalk with their big snow blower. I did their walk and steps and mine, and dug out the curb cut which had been plowed in, and the storm drain. Then saw that the elderly sisters across the street hadn't been dug out and went and did their steps-- they poked their heads out and we had a nice little chat. Now having some hot chocolate before staring actual work. Probably one more round of shoveling this afternoon.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

apl68

High of 39 yesterday, with overnight lows in the mid-20s.  What was once fairly ordinary winter temperatures here.  Tomorrow and Sunday the highs are supposed to spike into the upper 60s, with thunderstorms.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

hmaria1609

Woke up to snow this morning:
https://wtop.com/local/2022/01/light-fluffy-snow-kicks-off-frigid-friday-in-dc-area/
I was happy we had a delayed opening this morning.

hmaria1609

Cold, cold! The Cold Emergency Alert is on for DC.

mamselle

7 degrees F last night.

Water dripping in faucets.

Raised the thermostat a bit.

Then back to bed.

Warm there.

M.