hmaria1609

Quote from: mamselle on January 12, 2022, 12:45:31 AM
7 degrees F last night.

Water dripping in faucets.

Raised the thermostat a bit.

Then back to bed.

Warm there.

M.
I saw the temps in my alma mater town for the week on my iPhone last night.  Here's a virtual hot chocolate!  :)

mamselle

Merci bien!!!

I had one for breakfast, but that's definitely the right idea for lunch as well.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

paultuttle

Freezing rain, ice, and/or snow are forecast for north central NC this Sunday--but possibly starting Saturday and extending into Monday morning--to a depth of 5 to 8 inches. Or at least that's what weather.com says at the moment.

I fully expect area grocery store shelves to be emptied of milk, eggs, bread, cheese, and butter in the next few days.

(Roughly paraphrasing a comedian whose name I cannot remember: "What do they expect to make, when they're out of power? French toast?" Yep, peanut butter and crackers would be a much better choice. But hey, what do you expect from people who don't see much frozen precipitation their entire lives?)

apl68

High of 70 today, after a chilly morning.  Supposed to drop back to a sort of normal level in the next few days.  Just as well that I've finished my big batch of chili.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

mamselle

Odd what a month's habituation will do.

It's warmer now...as in....

...We're 5 degrees above freezing...

Whee!!

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

glendower

Quote from: paultuttle on January 13, 2022, 04:53:47 AM

(Roughly paraphrasing a comedian whose name I cannot remember: "What do they expect to make, when they're out of power? French toast?" Yep, peanut butter and crackers would be a much better choice. But hey, what do you expect from people who don't see much frozen precipitation their entire lives?)
If they have gas stoves and matches, anything they like. This is why I won't live in an all-electric house. Some people are pretty good with a barbecue, too.

apl68

Quote from: glendower on January 13, 2022, 10:09:51 AM
Quote from: paultuttle on January 13, 2022, 04:53:47 AM

If they have gas stoves and matches, anything they like. This is why I won't live in an all-electric house. Some people are pretty good with a barbecue, too.

Just because some of us live in places where snow and ice are rare doesn't mean we're complete idiots about it when it happens.

hmaria1609

Got some snowfall here in the metro DC area this afternoon:
https://wtop.com/weather-news/2022/01/dc-area-expecting-snow-storms-ice-sunday-afternoon/
Scroll past ad breaks to read full article.

It was slow going on my way home from the library--we closed early. I pulled off to the side of the interstate to clear off my windshield a few times.
I've already shoveled the driveway and sidewalks. I heard snowblowers further down the street. Now it's raining.

mamselle

Windy. Very windy....

Going to sleep, last night, I was several times re-awakened just as I was about to drop off by a garbage can banging against the neighbor's porch, or something scudding along the street, or heavy rain for a few moments, then silence.

Should have recorded all the sounds, it would have made a great thriller intro sound track.

M.

hmaria1609

Light snow forecasted for tomorrow's morning commute:
https://wtop.com/weather-news/2022/01/snow-could-impact-dc-regions-thursday-morning-commute/
I'm not working tomorrow so I'll be sleeping when it happens.  :)

Harlow2

Our weather forecasts these past 3 weeks have looked like sine waves of seasonable temps followed by cold/rain/snow then really cold-for-us, then seasonable with everything melting, and on and on. Currently waiting for the next installment of 1-3 inches of snow. Hiked in local bogs with 13* temps and gorgeous grey winter light on red cranberry plants and ice the other day (nothing like the lows Mamselle reports though).

hmaria1609

Seeing light snow outside at the moment. (We had snow showers start in the early afternoon) Although there's a winter weather advisory for the region, it's a state of emergency for MD and VA:
https://wtop.com/weather-news/2022/01/winter-weather-advisories-start-friday-afternoon-across-dc-area/
To our forum members further to the north, stay safe and warm!

apl68

After a week or two of chilly days, we are rocketing back up into the 70s.  Fortunately the extended forecast calls for more normal seasonal temperatures by the latter part of this week.  Maybe we can manage not to have to start mowing before the end of February.

hmaria1609

I went through the car wash at a local gas station on the way home. I wanted to get my car and undercarriage clean from all the salt treatment on the roads!

To those further up north, hope you made it through this weekend's nor'easter all right! My cousin in MA texted me pix--quite a dumping! And thankful not to lose power.

mamselle

Still have the faucets dripping, since we've been below freezing for the past week (I do collect the water).

This afternoon it might get up to 34 degrees!

Trying to decide if that's warm enough to turn off the drips for a bit...at least until nightfall...

M.