News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Fat Tuesday (Mardi Gras) Plans??

Started by clean, February 28, 2022, 08:52:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clean

March 1 (2022) is Fat Tuesday (Mardi Gras)!  Lent Starts on Wednesday! 

(It is also election day in my neighborhood).

What are YOUR Plans?

AS it is the first, it is also payday!  I am giving an exam today, so Tuesday will be a grading day too.

With the start of the Lent, do you have any plans? Will you be giving up anything?
Id really like to give up faculty meetings, especially the ones with Teams!  (Zoom is bad enough, but Teams meetings are worse.  Somehow even if I am NOT in the meeting, I get pinged by messages from the Teams program!

Anyway, I wish everyone a Great Mardi Gras! 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

RatGuy

I always try a barrage of King Cakes during Carnival season, but easily the best is Duong Phong Bakery's. I might have king cake for all three meals tomorrow.

mamselle

The King Cakes thing is so WRONG for Lent!!!!

<<Gallettes des Rois>> are for Epiphany, when the Wise Ones visited.

And what's this I'm hearing from my friends in the South about all kinds of other fillings!?

It's almond, people. Frangipane with an almond paste inside.

All this other stuff is just beyond the pale.

Commercial spread.

Humph!

M.

P.S., And here I am, mourning the fact that I can't do crepes, and have to settle for plain old pancakes.

At least I know what I should be having.... Hur-upmph again!!!

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

cathwen

Pancakes or crêpes tomorrow!  Breakfast for dinner.

Thursday we will begin to play Lent Madness, as we have done for the last five years or so.  (www.lentmadness.org) 

mamselle

Hmm....not sure I get the game set-up.

But I just glanced at it, have to teach now.

As to what one gives up, I don't know yet. A friend usually gives up alcohol, but she's just gotten through CA surgery so that might not be on the diet anyway (or if it is, she may not want to give it up right yet...)

Pondering...

M.

Larimar

mamselle

mamselle

Sorry for the double post.

I realized during prayers this AM that what I may best give up for Lent is unnecessary distraction.

Not the distractions that help ease the mind after the pressures of teaching, writing, or researching, but the more mindless ones that become draining rather than refreshing.

Discerning the difference may be part of the discipline.

M.

secundem_artem

Same as every year.  I'm giving up Brussels Sprouts and Eggplant for Lent.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

Harlow2

Quote from: Larimar on February 28, 2022, 04:43:58 PM
For any that might be interested,

Ash Wednesday by T.S. Eliot:

http://famouspoetsandpoems.com/poets/t__s__eliot/poems/15133

Wonderful poem.

Thank you Larimar. It's been decades since I read this.

AmLitHist

Quote from: Larimar on February 28, 2022, 04:43:58 PM
For any that might be interested,

Ash Wednesday by T.S. Eliot:

http://famouspoetsandpoems.com/poets/t__s__eliot/poems/15133

Wonderful poem.
Thanks for this, Larimar.  I try to listen to this every year but nearly forgot, with other things going on.

I need to give up so many things for Lent, it would probably be easier to list the ones I don't. (Not to say that I will give up anything.)

Larimar

You're welcome. It's my little tradition to read it every year.

dr_evil

Damn! I forgot and missed paczki day. :(