News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Vaccination nation

Started by downer, December 23, 2020, 07:05:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dismalist

Quote from: spork on January 26, 2021, 03:38:21 PM
Would you prefer "at most"? It's the same thing. Especially if it's MDs who are calculating the statistic. Though at least half would probably fuck it up.

That's correct. Medical Schools are highly selective. They select for ambition [I wanna make a lot of money], work minimization [I wanna have all that money with as little work as possible], risk aversion [keep testing until even the tests get sick of it], ruthlessness [wreck your neighbors chem lab experiment in your pre-med program]. Let us all select the bottom holders of these qualities.

The source of the problem lies in the restriction of supply by the Council on Graduate Medical Education, consisting of representative of the AMA and existing medical schools, which keeps wages high. I call it "the Cartel". [The high wage doesn't exclusively reward long hours; it selects, including those who don't wish to put in the hours.]

Some years ago I overheard a conversation between two young men, one of whom stated he was going to Wall Street rather than become an MD on account the money was better! Thank god, I thought.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

ciao_yall

Quote from: dismalist on January 26, 2021, 03:53:28 PM
Quote from: spork on January 26, 2021, 03:38:21 PM
Would you prefer "at most"? It's the same thing. Especially if it's MDs who are calculating the statistic. Though at least half would probably fuck it up.

That's correct. Medical Schools are highly selective. They select for ambition [I wanna make a lot of money], work minimization [I wanna have all that money with as little work as possible], risk aversion [keep testing until even the tests get sick of it], ruthlessness [wreck your neighbors chem lab experiment in your pre-med program]. Let us all select the bottom holders of these qualities.

The source of the problem lies in the restriction of supply by the Council on Graduate Medical Education, consisting of representative of the AMA and existing medical schools, which keeps wages high. I call it "the Cartel". [The high wage doesn't exclusively reward long hours; it selects, including those who don't wish to put in the hours.]

Some years ago I overheard a conversation between two young men, one of whom stated he was going to Wall Street rather than become an MD on account the money was better! Thank god, I thought.

There are many easier, less tiring, less stressful and less gross ways to make money than being a doctor.

Yes, it would be nice if PAs, NPs and other skilled professionals were licensed to provide a lot of routine care that is done by MD's. Raging debate about whether the extra training MD's have is necessary for routine checkups and exams.

apl68

Quote from: spork on January 26, 2021, 01:29:28 PM
Quote from: Ruralguy on January 25, 2021, 02:56:00 PM
And it was an MD who made those remarks...

At least half of MDs were below average in medical school.

Not at the University of Lake Wobegon School of Medicine.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

pgher

apl68

I've heard a rumor that city staff might get vaccinated early this coming month.

Cheerful

Quote from: pgher on January 27, 2021, 08:34:38 AM
Mismanaged vaccination in Philadelphia

Who thought this was a good idea?

"Speaking to "Today," Doroshin said that his lack of a traditional public health background allowed him to "think a little differently" and speed up the vaccination process. In another interview, he expressed hopes of setting up a McDonald's-like franchise and suggested that best practices for administering vaccines "can go out the window."

Yeah, these youngins know so much more than experts with decades of experience and knowledge.

Economizer

Harking back to my military days, during basic training my platoon was marched to a medical station and vaccinated (inoculated?,got shots?) in rapid fashion by medics (techs?) using air gun type apparatus. I did not see much more of that in use. Was its use discontinued due to its being ineffective or unsafe? Has it reappeared elsewhere in use or in improved form?  While its application was sometimes not pretty, as a matter of fact bloody, it did seem to be a very good way to very rapidly administer doses of whatever to work groups in the field, prisoners, factory workers, crew members, etc.

As is treatment, prevention is worldwide concern. No telling what locations or circumstances would allow better, quicker, or cheaper ways of vaccination. Well, that's my two bits!
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

FishProf

I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

secundem_artem

Quote from: apl68 on January 27, 2021, 06:31:00 AM

What do you call the person who graduated last in their medical school class?

Doctor.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

FishProf

Quote from: secundem_artem on January 29, 2021, 10:27:48 AM

Doctor.

Proctologist?
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

secundem_artem

Quote from: FishProf on January 29, 2021, 02:06:03 PM
Quote from: secundem_artem on January 29, 2021, 10:27:48 AM

Doctor.

Proctologist?

How do you hide $100 from a proctologist?

Tape it to your forehead.

How do you hide $100 from .......

Surgeon - tape it to a stethoscope

Orthopedist -- put it in a textbook

Neurosurgeon - tape it to his kids

Plastic surgeon -- can't be done.

Family medicine -- what's $100

Internist - put it under a dressing

Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

apl68

University of Arkansas has classified most of its employees as "essential."  They've vaccinated 5,600 employees so far.  Only 24,000 to go!

Vkw10

University was supposed to get vaccine, but state decided to prioritize vaccine hubs so is now urging employees who are in priority groups to go to hubs instead of waiting. Every hub has its own process for signup, some with waitlists and some not. One colleague received first dose last week, two counties south of UniversityTown. I have appointment for tomorrow, one county to the north. I know people who are on every waitlist within 150 miles. Many people are also checking hubs that don't have wait lists, looking for announcements that they're opening appointment signups. I have a colleague on multiple waitlists who is also showing up at hubs near end of day, hoping they'll have leftover doses because of no-shows.

I'm encouraging vaccination, but also reminding department that masks are required even if vaccinated. Mask up until we get enough people vaccinated. The news of new strains may help there, as people who have be conscientious about masking are listening for news about how effective vaccines are against new strains.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

namazu

My MIL (late 70s) got her first dose this morning.  Hoping my parents (early 70s) will be able to get theirs soon.  I don't expect to reach the front of the line for months.

spork

I have contacted a company that is doing a SARS-CoV-2 vaccine trial to see if I can enroll. It seems to be the quickest possible way to get vaccinated in my state. People 75 years of age and older *might* start getting vaccinated in maybe a few weeks. But who knows if that will happen.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.