News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Vaccination nation

Started by downer, December 23, 2020, 07:05:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hegemony

Of course being in a trial means you might get the placebo.

ergative

Quote from: namazu on January 31, 2021, 02:04:14 PM
My MIL (late 70s) got her first dose this morning.  Hoping my parents (early 70s) will be able to get theirs soon.  I don't expect to reach the front of the line for months.

My MIL (late 60s) got hers last week, and my FIL has an appointment for his this month. My parents have not been able to get an appointment, because sign-up slots disappear too fast, but my uncle has a system with multiple monitors & refreshes and so on, and so my parents gave him their information and he's going to try to get them a slot next time sign-ups open this week. Apparently he's gotten appointments for himself, my aunt, and some of their friends, so he seems to have a record of success.

Caracal

Quote from: spork on January 31, 2021, 04:51:24 PM
I have contacted a company that is doing a SARS-CoV-2 vaccine trial to see if I can enroll. It seems to be the quickest possible way to get vaccinated in my state. People 75 years of age and older *might* start getting vaccinated in maybe a few weeks. But who knows if that will happen.

Various things have been less than ideal with vaccine rollout, but despite all that almost 8 percent of the population of the US has already gotten at least one shot. I don't think any state is below 5 percent. With actual federal coordination, I wouldn't despair yet.

apl68

I have contacted a company that is doing a SARS-CoV-2 vaccine trial to see if I can enroll. It seems to be the quickest possible way to get vaccinated in my state. People 75 years of age and older *might* start getting vaccinated in maybe a few weeks. But who knows if that will happen.

My goodness that's slow!  The older people are getting it here, but the limited supply makes for long waiting lists.

I'm making preparations to try to persuade reluctant staff members to get vaccinated when city employees get the chance.  Still no date set.  I just want to be ready to nudge everybody through the window of opportunity when it opens.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Cheerful

Quote from: Caracal on February 01, 2021, 07:13:09 AM
Various things have been less than ideal with vaccine rollout, but despite all that almost 8 percent of the population of the US has already gotten at least one shot. I don't think any state is below 5 percent. With actual federal coordination, I wouldn't despair yet.

Thanks for sharing these statistics and optimism, much-needed.

I need to remember that, despite my frustration and anxiety about senior-age, high-risk loved ones still lacking access and other things, we're fortunate to have several approved or soon-to-be-approved vaccines at the start of February.

pink_

I've tried to enroll in two trials, and I've also tried signing up to volunteer at one of the clinics in the next town over. Word on the street is that volunteers can get vaccinated if supplies are available and at least one person I know got their first shot this way.

But my parents, who are both 80, have to yet been able to get appointments in their state. I think I am more worked up about this than they are.

kaysixteen

Anyone here work anywhere that will restrict unvaccinated persons from continuing to work once vax availability occurs, and they refuse to get it, or at least limit where and what and when such people could do?

pgher

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/02/01/wisconsin-pharmacist-vaccine-flatearth/

Who knew there were anti vaxxer PHARMACISTS whose vaccine opinions are far from their craziest beliefs?

Economizer

NEW WORD?  VACCINOTOURISM!
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

bacardiandlime

Quote from: pgher on February 01, 2021, 04:59:09 PM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/02/01/wisconsin-pharmacist-vaccine-flatearth/

Who knew there were anti vaxxer PHARMACISTS whose vaccine opinions are far from their craziest beliefs?

Probably the same pharmacists who refuse to dispense plan B

spork

Quote from: apl68 on February 01, 2021, 08:05:44 AM

My goodness that's slow!  The older people are getting it here, but the limited supply makes for long waiting lists.

I'm making preparations to try to persuade reluctant staff members to get vaccinated when city employees get the chance.  Still no date set.  I just want to be ready to nudge everybody through the window of opportunity when it opens.

Obviously you are not employed at Hillsdale College:

https://www.insidehighered.com/quicktakes/2021/02/02/hillsdale-faculty-staff-jumped-head-vaccine-line.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Caracal

Quote from: spork on February 02, 2021, 06:06:12 AM
Quote from: apl68 on February 01, 2021, 08:05:44 AM

Obviously you are not employed at Hillsdale College:

https://www.insidehighered.com/quicktakes/2021/02/02/hillsdale-faculty-staff-jumped-head-vaccine-line.

While its tempting to be angry about people jumping in line, it is usually wrongheaded and counterproductive. The worst case scenario is not that some people who weren't prioritized get the vaccine. The worst case scenario is nobody gets the vaccine and it expires. If you're a small hospital and you have several hundred doses to get rid of within a couple of days, you may not have the resources to do anything but just send some emails to institutions nearby inviting employees to come get doses. Hopefully, they offered it to local K-12 educators and childcare workers too.

The last thing you want is these sorts of stories to make vaccine providers afraid of getting backlash for giving out leftover doses.

spork

I'm guessing you're not familiar with Hillsdale.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Caracal

Quote from: spork on February 02, 2021, 12:14:07 PM
I'm guessing you're not familiar with Hillsdale.

Sound like an unpleasant institution, but I'd still sooner their faculty get the vaccine than it goes to waste.

dismalist

Quote from: Caracal on February 02, 2021, 11:02:36 AM

While its tempting to be angry about people jumping in line, it is usually wrongheaded and counterproductive. The worst case scenario is not that some people who weren't prioritized get the vaccine. The worst case scenario is nobody gets the vaccine and it expires. If you're a small hospital and you have several hundred doses to get rid of within a couple of days, you may not have the resources to do anything but just send some emails to institutions nearby inviting employees to come get doses. Hopefully, they offered it to local K-12 educators and childcare workers too.

The last thing you want is these sorts of stories to make vaccine providers afraid of getting backlash for giving out leftover doses.

Precisely! No one is made worse off.

And this should further not be considered queue jumping because if you are protected by the vaccine, I am protected a little by your vaccination.

Amazing how markets emerge spontaneously even  without money!

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli