News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Vaccination nation

Started by downer, December 23, 2020, 07:05:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ergative

My parents have their vaccination appointments scheduled for this week. I'm simultaneously thrilled and outraged at how hard it was for them. My mother is perfectly internet-savvy, but she was unable to get an appointment whenever they opened up, and in the end had to give her information to her brother-in-law, because he had a really good system with multiple monitors etc. to make sure he could nab a slot before they were all gone. It shouldn't be this hard. You shouldn't have to outsource your sign-up process to someone with elaborate home office technical equipment to get an appointment.

Harlow2

Quote from: ergative on February 04, 2021, 04:42:19 AM
My parents have their vaccination appointments scheduled for this week. I'm simultaneously thrilled and outraged at how hard it was for them. My mother is perfectly internet-savvy, but she was unable to get an appointment whenever they opened up, and in the end had to give her information to her brother-in-law, because he had a really good system with multiple monitors etc. to make sure he could nab a slot before they were all gone. It shouldn't be this hard. You shouldn't have to outsource your sign-up process to someone with elaborate home office technical equipment to get an appointment.

I finally was able to guess the 5-minute period when appointments would be loaded in one site and had all info ready to copy and paste. Even then it took attempts on 2 separate days.

jimbogumbo

It is really easy in Indiana. Signed up Monday. Couldn't get in until March in my county, but got into an adjacent county no problem. Drove 30 miles there this morning, in and out in half an hour.

Best wishes and hopes for everyone where it is tougher sledding!

OneMoreYear

My parents got appointments for their first vaccination this week. I'm very relieved, as my mother has serious health conditions and COVID would be definitively life-threatening.  They are doing serious social distancing.
One brother-in-law (a physician) got his pretty early. The surprise was that my other brother-in-law was apparently at the head of the line in his state and has already had his first dose b/c he's on a ski patrol.

secundem_artem

I got my 2nd dose today.  I'm planning on taking tomorrow as a day off to suffer the effects and will be happy to do so.

Now, I just gotta get Mrs. Artem into this byzantine system somehow.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

evil_physics_witchcraft

My parents got their first dose today. I was surprised considering how uncoordinated our state is.

kaysixteen

secundem_artem, do you mind my asking what effects of the vax are motivating you to take a day off tomorrow?   Of course, almost any reasonable side effects would be irrelevant and not at all a reason not to vax....

BTW, why do you use 'secundem' artem, not 'secundam artem'?

dismalist

secundum?

I don't know Latin, but I can wing it! :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

kaysixteen

'ars,-tis', is a feminine noun, requiring 'secundAm' with this 1/2 decl adj.   I have long wondered why secundem uses this word, which IMO is bad Latin.

secundem_artem

Quote from: kaysixteen on February 04, 2021, 06:55:31 PM
'ars,-tis', is a feminine noun, requiring 'secundAm' with this 1/2 decl adj.   I have long wondered why secundem uses this word, which IMO is bad Latin.

Wayne & Shuster were a couple of Canadian comedians back in the day.  They used to have a joke about ancient Rome.

A centurion walks into a bar and tells the barkeep "I'd like a martinus."

Barman says, "Don't you mean a martini?"

Replies the centurion, "No.  I mean a martinus.  What's the matter with you?   Can't you speak plain Latin?"

As to the moniker --  It's a term from my professional training meaning "according to the art".  I just forgot how to spell it when I chose it as a screen name.  Mrs. Hayes (my high school Latin teacher) would be appalled.  Apologies to all.

As to the day off.  My conversations with those in the know tell me that about 2/3 of those who get the 2nd dose have a pretty rough day the day after.  Fever, swelling, myalgias etc.  I'm just anticipating a rough day - which is good news since that means I have had a vigorous immune response.

Any other questions??
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

kaysixteen

How many side effects did you experience the day after your first shot?

Vkw10

Quote from: kaysixteen on February 04, 2021, 08:25:25 PM

I haven't had any side effects from first shot, but from what I'm reading the second shot is more likely to have side effects. Like secundem_artem, I've scheduled a very light workload for day after second shot, just in case.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

dismalist

Quote from: Vkw10 on February 04, 2021, 10:07:21 PM

I haven't had any side effects from first shot, but from what I'm reading the second shot is more likely to have side effects. Like secundem_artem, I've scheduled a very light workload for day after second shot, just in case.

My wife, the doctor, already had her second shot some time ago. Neither shot caused anything beyond soreness of the arm for two or three days.

People, take heart! Or better, do your cost-benefit analysis!
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Caracal

Quote from: dismalist on February 04, 2021, 10:25:16 PM
Quote from: Vkw10 on February 04, 2021, 10:07:21 PM

My wife, the doctor, already had her second shot some time ago. Neither shot caused anything beyond soreness of the arm for two or three days.

People, take heart! Or better, do your cost-benefit analysis!

Yeah, one parent had nothing from second shot. Other had a fever and felt like crap for a day, but it went away quickly. Better than getting Covid either way.

Langue_doc

According to the video posted by NYS, the mRNA vaccines (Pfizer and Moderna) do not affect your own genetic material or DNA in any way, do not contain the actual COVID-19 virus, and cannot give you COVID.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lssxP974YXg&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=GovernorAndrewM.Cuomo

In case you're wondering, the video is about the vaccine--the gov doesn't make an appearance.