News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Vaccination nation

Started by downer, December 23, 2020, 07:05:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaysixteen

Anyone know how someone who is under the current minimum age for normal vax eligibility in one's state, but is supposed to be eligible under health and/or career exceptions, is supposed to verify those statuses, in order to get the vax?   

namazu

Quote from: kaysixteen on March 16, 2021, 09:32:38 PM
Anyone know how someone who is under the current minimum age for normal vax eligibility in one's state, but is supposed to be eligible under health and/or career exceptions, is supposed to verify those statuses, in order to get the vax?
It varies by state and (in some cases) condition and vaccine provider.

My sister qualified in her state on account of obesity, and despite it being plainly visible, she was still "carded" and had to pull up her electronic medical record on her phone to show the formal diagnosis.

In other cases, I've heard of people getting doctor's notes attesting to their qualifying condition(s).

In Massachusetts,
Quote from: mass.govYou do not need a doctor's note or other proof of eligibility. You will not be asked to share any specific health information or medical diagnoses when you book an appointment or when you receive the vaccine. You will only be asked to confirm that you meet the current eligibility criteria. Please honor the eligibility criteria and understand that priority for the currently limited vaccine supply goes to people who are at greatest risk for severe illness from COVID-19.
( Source: https://www.mass.gov/doc/massachusetts-covid-19-vaccine-frequently-asked-questions-for-individuals-ages-65-and-older-and/download )

BourbonRose

In order to get mine through the county, I had to make an appointment online. Before I could get to that page, I had to answer a questionnaire about eligibility criteria. My guess is that anyone answering, "No" to a question gets told to come back later.

It was quick and easy, but I couldn't get an appointment for two weeks and did not get a wide range of appointment times. That was fine--anything would do, really.

The county confirmed my appointment by email and text message, and they used both to send me a reminder a couple of days ahead of time.

AmLitHist

Quote from: BourbonRose on March 17, 2021, 12:14:24 AM
In order to get mine through the county, I had to make an appointment online. Before I could get to that page, I had to answer a questionnaire about eligibility criteria. My guess is that anyone answering, "No" to a question gets told to come back later.

It was quick and easy, but I couldn't get an appointment for two weeks and did not get a wide range of appointment times. That was fine--anything would do, really.

The county confirmed my appointment by email and text message, and they used both to send me a reminder a couple of days ahead of time.

+1 here in Illinois.  The registry finally opened up mid-last week for under-65 with comorbidities, so we signed up with the local health dept.  I was shocked when ALHS and I each got emails late yesterday, telling us there were appointments for today.  We hurried and signed up for a time and now have our first doses--second doses on April 14. 

namazu

Hooray, ALH and BourbonRose!

My state is imminently expanding eligibility to my age group, and spouse and I are hoping we can get appointments quickly.

Antiphon1

Mr. Anti and I are significantly below the 65+ threshold: however, we did qualify based on our profession.  About 10 weeks ago, we enrolled on the county website.  The Friday of the week we enrolled, the county called and asked if we were interested in receiving some of the extra doses.  We were.  As of 2 weeks ago we are both fully vaccinated (2 doses) and past the 3 week waiting period.  We told the Anti boys we were blowing this joint and going walk about.  They can hold down the fort so to speak.  Or at least feed the dog. Life is good. 

Vkw10

Here in Texas, state designated vaccination hubs are not supposed to verify, just ask "do any of the following apply". My brother tells me that in SC, providers are supposed to verify eligibility.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

histchick

Many of the pharmacies don't seem to be checking eligibility, from what I'm hearing from friends.  I've also heard that the mass vaccination sites aren't checking either, but it could just be my state. 

namazu

Spouse and I are scheduled to be vaccinated this coming week.  (Hooray!)  Though the clinic site is about a 20-minute drive away, we opted to stagger our appointment times (one Tuesday, one Friday). That way, if either of us gets miserable side effects after this or the second shot (assuming Moderna or Pfizer, which is what the site has had in the past), one of us will still be able to take care of the baby and not miss class (no class Wednesday).

I also heard about, and hope to join, a study looking at possible transfer of SARS-CoV-2 antibodies through breastmilk after vaccination.  Have to decide if I just want to provide samples, or if I'm also willing to have the baby stuck some number of times.  I'm reluctantly leaning towards the latter, because these are important questions.

Ruralguy

My state only checks you at the registration stage with their database, but then the data you give them on vax day has to match the database. I suppose you could trade your information and or someone could steal it and then get a vaccine, but it seems like a lot of effort for something you'd be able to get soon anyway, most likely. At this point, we're only at "mass" vaccination sites, though some of those probably only vaccinated 100 people a day (rural area). I think once we get to kids, there will be bigger vaccination sites.
I doubt we'll get to pharmacies until after the first pass through of the entire population.

Harlow2

Even people who meet the state eligibility categories are getting October dates here.  N of one, and no of. 2  a couple of ekes ago for august

namazu

Quote from: Harlow2 on March 20, 2021, 08:53:28 PM
Even people who meet the state eligibility categories are getting October dates here.  N of one, and no of. 2  a couple of ekes ago for august
Holy cow, Harlow!  Is this in a US state, or somewhere else?!

PScientist

Student-facing higher education employees became eligible in my state on Friday, and my employer is having an on-site vaccination clinic on Monday.  That must be one of the best things our administration has ever arranged.  I made an early-morning appointment for it, and, of course, there is a winter storm warning out now for a level of snow on Sunday night that would typically lead to a delayed campus opening.  There are times that you really don't want a snow day!

OneMoreYear

SO and I are now eligible in our state due to age. However, we both have had COVID recently. Now, there seems to be a debate here about whether we should get vaccinated. SO's provider does not think he needs to get vaccinated because he had COVID. I am still having residual fatigue and brain fog symptoms, and my provider thinks I should wait to be vaccinated for 90 days after my symptoms remit.

ETA: I just got my COVID test results (I retested so I could return to work (my position is hybrid)), and I'm still testing positive 3 weeks after exposure. Crap. Theoretically, I don't have to quarantine anymore, but I think I need to test negative to return.

PScientist--that is good news for you and your employer! Hope the snow does not mess things up,

Harlow2

Quote from: namazu on March 20, 2021, 09:22:33 PM
Quote from: Harlow2 on March 20, 2021, 08:53:28 PM
Holy cow, Harlow!  Is this in a US state, or somewhere else?!

My state in the mid Atlantic. Surely it will be revised