News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Vaccination nation

Started by downer, December 23, 2020, 07:05:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caracal

Quote from: Ruralguy on March 20, 2021, 11:39:03 AM
My state only checks you at the registration stage with their database, but then the data you give them on vax day has to match the database. I suppose you could trade your information and or someone could steal it and then get a vaccine, but it seems like a lot of effort for something you'd be able to get soon anyway, most likely. At this point, we're only at "mass" vaccination sites, though some of those probably only vaccinated 100 people a day (rural area). I think once we get to kids, there will be bigger vaccination sites.
I doubt we'll get to pharmacies until after the first pass through of the entire population.

The local dynamics are so weird and opaque. Where I am (major metro area in sunbelt) it suddenly became quite easy to get an appointment for people eligible and pharmacies seem to have lots of availability. In the macro sense, its all going very well and lots of people are getting shots, but man is it confusing.

hmaria1609

Maryland will have 6 more mass vaccination sites:
https://wtop.com/maryland/2021/03/maryland-coronavirus-update-march-23/
From WTOP Radio online (3/23/21)

namazu

Got shot #1 today (Pfizer).  Very grateful.  Signed up to participate in a vaccine-related research study with my child.  (But got the vaccine on account of my age, not study participation.)

apl68

Now this is a bit odd.  I was just going over my appointment information for my shot on Friday when I got an e-mail reminder about it.  The e-mail said that my time slot was 15 minutes before the one I had been given in the first place.  What caused the variation?  Who knows!  I'll be sure to get there earlier than planned.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

polly_mer

I have no underlying conditions and I'm well under 60.  I said I'd get the vaccine when my employer offered it as an easy drive-through like they do for flu shots.

Yesterday morning, they sent an email poll regarding getting a jab on Thursday. 

Yesterday evening, the first email was an appointment time for Thursday morning and the second email was my manager approving moving/cancelling any meetings because we should all keep our scheduled appointments on Thursday to be good citizens.

It's looking good here in the hinterlands.

Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

ab_grp

Quote from: apl68 on March 24, 2021, 06:19:38 AM
Now this is a bit odd.  I was just going over my appointment information for my shot on Friday when I got an e-mail reminder about it.  The e-mail said that my time slot was 15 minutes before the one I had been given in the first place.  What caused the variation?  Who knows!  I'll be sure to get there earlier than planned.

My "dose group" has our second appointment 30 minutes later than the first one.  I'm not sure if it's to keep dose 1 people in one set of slots and dose 2 in a different one, or if the slots just worked out that way.  I hope it's better organized at the later time, since our initial slot was the first of the day and not great.  We also got a card with one date for the second shot and a text/email from DOH with a date the day before that but were told to follow what the DOH says.  It would be nice to have more consistent instructions.

clean

My state is in the lower end of the vaccination rates. However, the news last night indicated that starting Monday Any adult (and anyone over 16 for one of the vaccines) are now clear to register. I dont know if that is statewide or just our area of the state because we have a vaccination hub. 

My 2 week period of post vaccine 2 protection ends Saturday, so I should be fully protected soon. 

Hopefully, we have plenty of vaccine available to support the expanded eligibility criteria!  Being permitted to get the shot and being ABLE to schedule to Get the shot are 2 different things!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Morden

QuoteMy state is in the lower end of the vaccination rates. However, the news last night indicated that starting Monday Any adult (and anyone over 16 for one of the vaccines) are now clear to register.

Wow. In my province, we're still in the 65+ range. After that, it's people with particular health conditions.

Vkw10

Texas has decreed that anyone 18 or older (16 for one shot) is eligible for vaccine starting Monday. State health department is encouraging providers to vaccinate people age 80 or over "even if they show up without appointment", which makes me wonder how many 80+ residents haven't been vaccinated. Texas has also said that hubs can't require proof of citizenship or residency.

I suspect Texas decided to quit specifying eligibility because someone got tired of being pressured to make this group or that a priority. Since they were using honor system on eligibility, the eligibility rules weren't being strictly followed anyway. It's still hard to get an appointment, although it's improving.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

polly_mer

Quote from: polly_mer on March 24, 2021, 08:28:20 AM
I have no underlying conditions and I'm well under 60.  I said I'd get the vaccine when my employer offered it as an easy drive-through like they do for flu shots.

Yesterday morning, they sent an email poll regarding getting a jab on Thursday. 

Yesterday evening, the first email was an appointment time for Thursday morning and the second email was my manager approving moving/cancelling any meetings because we should all keep our scheduled appointments on Thursday to be good citizens.

It's looking good here in the hinterlands.

Got the first shot this morning.  It was a really smooth drive-through process.  A couple ibuprofen has fixed my sore arm.  Back to work!
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

mythbuster

Florida has declared everyone 40+ eligible starting Monday. Everyone 18+ is eligible starting April 5.

histchick

My FIL in New Jersey (metropolitan area, near major university), still can't find an appointment within fifty miles of his home.  My BIL has looked, my husband has looked, I've looked.  Not a thing.  They've been available for his age group for at least a month now. 

Ruralguy

That's odd because New Jersey has one of the highest completely vaccinated rates.

My parents in New York had a far off appointment so went into a nearby pharmacy and asked for appointments closer in time and space. They had them. My parents are in their 80's though.

namazu

Quote from: histchick on March 25, 2021, 11:39:10 AM
My FIL in New Jersey (metropolitan area, near major university), still can't find an appointment within fifty miles of his home.  My BIL has looked, my husband has looked, I've looked.  Not a thing.  They've been available for his age group for at least a month now.
That's frustrating and a shame.  :( 
Have you (or spouse, or FIL) joined one of the Facebook groups that reports open slots?  People I know have had luck getting appointments that way when they struck out otherwise.

Cheerful

Quote from: histchick on March 25, 2021, 11:39:10 AM

Sorry to hear that.  Have you looked online for tips and tricks, such as Facebook that namazu notes?  Is he near a Rite Aid?  A month ago, Rite Aid was loading new appointments between 11:30 p.m. and midnight, so you had to be sitting at computer ready to use their site by 11:40 p.m.  Not sure of current situation.

Maybe try notifications like these:  https://twitter.com/nj_vaccine  Not sure if this one is good or not, just a sample.  Sadly, there's a science to securing an appointment in some communities.