News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Vaccination nation

Started by downer, December 23, 2020, 07:05:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AvidReader

Quote from: Puget on April 20, 2021, 06:57:08 AM
My state finally opened up for everyone yesterday, but of course no appointments to be had. The university got some doses, but is prioritizing students in dorms (which makes sense). I signed up for text alerts, and one came at 4:15 AM but of course by the time I was awake there were no appointments.  So I may have to wait a few weeks, or set an alarm for 4 AM.

My university had a list of university members who would be willing to sprint to campus to take extra doses if people didn't show up for appointments. This might be just a Pfizer thing, but might also be worth enquiring about.

Puget

Quote from: AvidReader on April 20, 2021, 03:47:44 PM
My state finally opened up for everyone yesterday, but of course no appointments to be had. The university got some doses, but is prioritizing students in dorms (which makes sense). I signed up for text alerts, and one came at 4:15 AM but of course by the time I was awake there were no appointments.  So I may have to wait a few weeks, or set an alarm for 4 AM.

My university had a list of university members who would be willing to sprint to campus to take extra doses if people didn't show up for appointments. This might be just a Pfizer thing, but might also be worth enquiring about.

They did get another batch of doses and opened it to all students regardless of where they are living. I kind of feel like they should have included faculty and staff working on campus first over some of the students who are 100% remote still, but I can see how adjudicating that was too complicated. They did say they would let faculty and staff know tomorrow if there were any extra doses.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

lightning

Quote from: darkstarrynight on March 27, 2021, 09:55:08 PM
I would not laminate the card. It has lines below the second shot for other boosters, which we may have to get in less than a year. Just get a slip cover for it like for a baseball card to protect it.

I just found a great use for my old plastic conference badge holders. I can stick my CDC vaccine card in there. It provides protection for the card, but at the same time I can always pull it out of the holder for scrutiny if it ever becomes necessary. And, it still has the lanyard so I can wear the card, if that ever becomes necessary. I have probably 4 or 5 of these badge holders, probably more if I looked for them.

smallcleanrat

*sigh*

Parents are asking me to visit sometime soon ("it's been so long!"), but don't seem to be planning on getting vaccinated because of potential side effects. They've always been deeply mistrustful of mainstream medicine, the FDA, and 'Big Pharma'.

I can sense this is going to be an argument.

Caracal

Quote from: smallcleanrat on April 20, 2021, 10:52:48 PM
*sigh*
Parents are asking me to visit sometime soon ("it's been so long!"), but don't seem to be planning on getting vaccinated because of potential side effects. They've always been deeply mistrustful of mainstream medicine, the FDA, and 'Big Pharma'.

Are you vaccinated yet?

From what you've written about your parents, it seems like it might best to just use the easily available excuse to avoid going to see them?

clean

QuoteParents are asking me to visit sometime soon ("it's been so long!"), but don't seem to be planning on getting vaccinated because of potential side effects. They've always been deeply mistrustful of mainstream medicine, the FDA, and 'Big Pharma'.

"Mom.  Dad.  I love you very much but I just can not risk catching something and bringing it home to my  hubby who has several comorbidities.  Until you both  get vaccinated, and wait the required 2 weeks, I can not risk visiting you and taking the risk of catching anything from the travels (not to mention the airlines)."
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Puget

Quote from: Puget on April 20, 2021, 05:58:25 PM
Quote from: AvidReader on April 20, 2021, 03:47:44 PM

They did get another batch of doses and opened it to all students regardless of where they are living. I kind of feel like they should have included faculty and staff working on campus first over some of the students who are 100% remote still, but I can see how adjudicating that was too complicated. They did say they would let faculty and staff know tomorrow if there were any extra doses.

They did have extra doses! Checked email during the mid-class break this morning and they had just opened it up to faculty and staff, so I was able to nap a slot Friday. Very happy because there are otherwise zero appointments available in the whole state.

It really does seem like it's time for states using <70% of their allocations or so to give some up for the states that are using >85%. Call it a loan if that makes it politically more palatable. Hey Alabama, we see your freezers are getting really full-- how about we take some of those off your hands, and we'll totally give you some back later if your citizens come to their senses and decide they want them.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."

smallcleanrat

Quote from: Caracal on April 21, 2021, 06:34:11 AM
*sigh*

Are you vaccinated yet?

From what you've written about your parents, it seems like it might best to just use the easily available excuse to avoid going to see them?

I'll be able to get vaccinated next month. I'm more worried about transmitting than catching, given their senior citizen status.

My Dad gets most of his 'news' from Fox News commentators. I don't think he even bothers listening to the news reports, just the most opinionated talking heads. He thinks the dangers of COVID are mostly hype from foaming-at-the-mouth liberals trying to make Trump look bad. I don't know what to say to him.

Quote from: clean on April 21, 2021, 09:38:32 AM
QuoteParents are asking me to visit sometime soon ("it's been so long!"), but don't seem to be planning on getting vaccinated because of potential side effects. They've always been deeply mistrustful of mainstream medicine, the FDA, and 'Big Pharma'.

"Mom.  Dad.  I love you very much but I just can not risk catching something and bringing it home to my  hubby who has several comorbidities.  Until you both  get vaccinated, and wait the required 2 weeks, I can not risk visiting you and taking the risk of catching anything from the travels (not to mention the airlines)."

That sounds pretty good. I'll probably go with something like this.

Depending on their mood, they may simply roll their eyes and indulge what they perceive as my ridiculous concerns ("ok, fine; I guess a visit can wait a bit longer") or they'll take it personally and get insulting ("so I guess we're idiots for not getting vaccinated?" or "typical millennial, completely brainwashed by the liberal media and university system; wake up and think for yourself!" or "well don't say we didn't warn you when those vaccines damage you beyond repair.")

Eh...whichever way they go on this, they can do it over the phone.

I'm not an M.D. or a virologist, but out of the three of us I have, by far, the most knowledge and experience related to biomedical research. They like to brag to their friends about my degrees, but apparently don't put much stock in their worth?

My mom: "I don't care how many degrees you get or how many papers you publish, I will always be older and wiser than you are."

*sigh*

Parasaurolophus

I've registered for my first vaccination (registration opened up yesterday). No word on scheduling, however. I'll be surprised if they make it to me any time before the fall.
I know it's a genus.

Caracal

Quote from: smallcleanrat on April 21, 2021, 02:42:13 PM
Quote from: Caracal on April 21, 2021, 06:34:11 AM
*sigh*

Are you vaccinated yet?

I'll be able to get vaccinated next month. I'm more worried about transmitting than catching, given their senior citizen status.

My Dad gets most of his 'news' from Fox News commentators. I don't think he even bothers listening to the news reports, just the most opinionated talking heads. He thinks the dangers of COVID are mostly hype from foaming-at-the-mouth liberals trying to make Trump look bad. I don't know what to say to him.

Quote from: clean on April 21, 2021, 09:38:32 AM

That sounds pretty good. I'll probably go with something like this.

Depending on their mood, they may simply roll their eyes and indulge what they perceive as my ridiculous concerns ("ok, fine; I guess a visit can wait a bit longer") or they'll take it personally and get insulting ("so I guess we're idiots for not getting vaccinated?" or "typical millennial, completely brainwashed by the liberal media and university system; wake up and think for yourself!" or "well don't say we didn't warn you when those vaccines damage you beyond repair.")

Eh...whichever way they go on this, they can do it over the phone.

I'm not an M.D. or a virologist, but out of the three of us I have, by far, the most knowledge and experience related to biomedical research. They like to brag to their friends about my degrees, but apparently don't put much stock in their worth?

My mom: "I don't care how many degrees you get or how many papers you publish, I will always be older and wiser than you are."

*sigh*

Yeah, just tell them you'd feel terrible if you caught the virus traveling and that you aren't going to feel comfortable with it until you're vaccinated. You can't make their choices about vaccination, but you can certainly make your own choices about the level of risk you're willing to pose to them and others.

apl68

One of our staff members has a relative with schizophrenia.  She told me that this person's condition seems to have improved since being vaccinated.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Puget

Quote from: apl68 on April 22, 2021, 07:14:27 AM
One of our staff members has a relative with schizophrenia.  She told me that this person's condition seems to have improved since being vaccinated.

Probably a coincidence, but there are interesting immune-brain links. In fact there is a whole subfield called psychoneuroimmunology. Neuroinflammatory processes have certainly been implicated in schizophrenia.

It's not clear how the vaccine might affect inflammatory processes. They should be upregulated transiently during the acute immune response, but it is possible they then help "reset"  the immune system in some ways. This has been one of the speculated mechanisms about why some people with long-covid report significant improvements in symptoms post-vaccination (other theories are that they have residual virus or viral fragments that get cleared).

smallcleanrat

Quote from: Puget on April 22, 2021, 07:52:52 AM

Probably a coincidence, but there are interesting immune-brain links. In fact there is a whole subfield called psychoneuroimmunology. Neuroinflammatory processes have certainly been implicated in schizophrenia.

It's not clear how the vaccine might affect inflammatory processes. They should be upregulated transiently during the acute immune response, but it is possible they then help "reset"  the immune system in some ways. This has been one of the speculated mechanisms about why some people with long-covid report significant improvements in symptoms post-vaccination (other theories are that they have residual virus or viral fragments that get cleared).

+1

I was about to post the same thing. It's really interesting.

apl68

Quote from: Puget on April 22, 2021, 07:52:52 AM

Like you said, probably just coincidence.  But wouldn't it be something if some schizophrenics' reactions to vaccines put researchers onto the trail of an actual treatment for some of them?

In the midst of people trying to blame their vaccines for any problems that they experience afterward, it's interesting to see somebody going the other way.  Wonder if anybody else out there has had, or at least thinks they've had, any post-vaccine benefits?
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

fleabite

Quote from: apl68 on April 22, 2021, 09:34:09 AM
In the midst of people trying to blame their vaccines for any problems that they experience afterward, it's interesting to see somebody going the other way.  Wonder if anybody else out there has had, or at least thinks they've had, any post-vaccine benefits?

In fact, there have been a number of reports of people with long-haul Covid-19 whose symptoms improved considerably after vaccination. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be a cure for everyone with the extended version of the illness, but at least some are being helped