News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Vaccination nation

Started by downer, December 23, 2020, 07:05:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hmaria1609

Yesterday, Gov. Hogan spoke about efforts to get Marylanders vaccinated:
https://wtop.com/maryland/2021/04/maryland-gov-larry-hogan-pledges-no-arm-left-behind-in-covid-19-vaccine-effort/

Also, Costco will do vaccinations by appointment at its warehouses:
https://wtop.com/coronavirus/2021/04/costco-pharmacies-to-administer-covid-19-vaccines/

Posted on WTOP Radio online.

apl68

Quote from: Puget on April 21, 2021, 10:06:54 AM
Quote from: Puget on April 20, 2021, 05:58:25 PM
Quote from: AvidReader on April 20, 2021, 03:47:44 PM
Quote from: Puget on April 20, 2021, 06:57:08 AM
My state finally opened up for everyone yesterday, but of course no appointments to be had. The university got some doses, but is prioritizing students in dorms (which makes sense). I signed up for text alerts, and one came at 4:15 AM but of course by the time I was awake there were no appointments.  So I may have to wait a few weeks, or set an alarm for 4 AM.

My university had a list of university members who would be willing to sprint to campus to take extra doses if people didn't show up for appointments. This might be just a Pfizer thing, but might also be worth enquiring about.

They did get another batch of doses and opened it to all students regardless of where they are living. I kind of feel like they should have included faculty and staff working on campus first over some of the students who are 100% remote still, but I can see how adjudicating that was too complicated. They did say they would let faculty and staff know tomorrow if there were any extra doses.

They did have extra doses! Checked email during the mid-class break this morning and they had just opened it up to faculty and staff, so I was able to nap a slot Friday. Very happy because there are otherwise zero appointments available in the whole state.

It really does seem like it's time for states using <70% of their allocations or so to give some up for the states that are using >85%. Call it a loan if that makes it politically more palatable. Hey Alabama, we see your freezers are getting really full-- how about we take some of those off your hands, and we'll totally give you some back later if your citizens come to their senses and decide they want them.

Some states are now doing that, including ours.  Although vaccination has hardly stopped here, stockpiles have been accumulating and the Governor has requested less to give them a chance to draw down.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Caracal

Quote from: apl68 on April 23, 2021, 01:07:16 PM
Quote from: Puget on April 21, 2021, 10:06:54 AM
Quote from: Puget on April 20, 2021, 05:58:25 PM
Quote from: AvidReader on April 20, 2021, 03:47:44 PM
Quote from: Puget on April 20, 2021, 06:57:08 AM
My state finally opened up for everyone yesterday, but of course no appointments to be had. The university got some doses, but is prioritizing students in dorms (which makes sense). I signed up for text alerts, and one came at 4:15 AM but of course by the time I was awake there were no appointments.  So I may have to wait a few weeks, or set an alarm for 4 AM.

My university had a list of university members who would be willing to sprint to campus to take extra doses if people didn't show up for appointments. This might be just a Pfizer thing, but might also be worth enquiring about.

They did get another batch of doses and opened it to all students regardless of where they are living. I kind of feel like they should have included faculty and staff working on campus first over some of the students who are 100% remote still, but I can see how adjudicating that was too complicated. They did say they would let faculty and staff know tomorrow if there were any extra doses.

They did have extra doses! Checked email during the mid-class break this morning and they had just opened it up to faculty and staff, so I was able to nap a slot Friday. Very happy because there are otherwise zero appointments available in the whole state.

It really does seem like it's time for states using <70% of their allocations or so to give some up for the states that are using >85%. Call it a loan if that makes it politically more palatable. Hey Alabama, we see your freezers are getting really full-- how about we take some of those off your hands, and we'll totally give you some back later if your citizens come to their senses and decide they want them.

Some states are now doing that, including ours.  Although vaccination has hardly stopped here, stockpiles have been accumulating and the Governor has requested less to give them a chance to draw down.

I also really hope there is soon going to be a move towards no appointment vaccinations offered at convenient places.

Economizer

Some 6 weeks after my 2nd shot, I began to experience a soreness and a "catch" when I bend or extend my right hand "ringfinger". It does not hamper most of my tasks; however, it does seem to bother me a bit as try to fully utilize the next finger to the left, the index finger, in a means of expression.
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

Liquidambar

Quote from: Economizer on April 24, 2021, 02:01:04 PM
Some 6 weeks after my 2nd shot, I began to experience a soreness and a "catch" when I bend or extend my right hand "ringfinger". It does not hamper most of my tasks; however, it does seem to bother me a bit as try to fully utilize the next finger to the left, the index finger, in a means of expression.

This sounds like trigger finger.  It can be treated.  Liquidspouse eventually had his surgically corrected since it was bothering him a lot.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

Economizer

Quote from: Liquidambar on April 25, 2021, 07:16:09 AM
Quote from: Economizer on April 24, 2021, 02:01:04 PM

This sounds like trigger finger.  It can be treated.  Liquidspouse eventually had his surgically corrected since it was bothering him a lot.
Ok, tks. Looked up Trigger Finger and found a lot of information: 1. Good News: Often it heals on its own!
                       2. bad news: sometimes it don't.

But, could it have been related to my Covid vaccinations or is it, perhaps, "just coincidence"?
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

Hegemony

I am not a doctor, but it's my understanding that side effects will develop, if they do, a lot more quickly than six weeks out. The one time I had side effects from a vaccination, they happened within a couple of hours. I would guess it's just coincidence.

mamselle

Sometimes bananas or other potassium sources help to get things back in balance.

Musicians get it sometimes--as often from lifting an instrument case as from playing a tricky fingering--and it's more common with age.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

downer

The California public universities are requiring students to get a COVID vaccine. Rutgers, U Mass Amherst, U Michigan, U Maryland are other public universities that are requiring them. Mostly it seems private colleges are requiring it though.

Only a few places are requiring employees to get the vaccine.

This is the best list I've found so far.
https://www.chronicle.com/blogs/live-coronavirus-updates/heres-a-list-of-colleges-that-will-require-students-to-be-vaccinated-against-covid-19?cid=gen_sign_in

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

downer

Millions are skipping their second dose of vaccine. Doctors say they are worried. But they have no idea what the effects are of skipping the second dose, they say, just speculation. They don't know how long the vaccine will be effective for. In Europe, it has been standard policy to wait 3 months between doses, but why not 6 months? It's not exactly evidence-based practice.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/25/business/covid-vaccines-second-doses.html
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Ruralguy

It would boost your immunity by *some* amount regardless of when you get the second dose. That's sort of the point of boosters. But the question is when would it be most effective or at least not leave patient with too low of an immunity level for too long. It's partly evidence based because we are starting to get data from larger groups of people who have been immunized for over 6 months and with differing delays of second dose.

Puget

Quote from: downer on April 25, 2021, 02:23:55 PM
The California public universities are requiring students to get a COVID vaccine. Rutgers, U Mass Amherst, U Michigan, U Maryland are other public universities that are requiring them. Mostly it seems private colleges are requiring it though.

Only a few places are requiring employees to get the vaccine.

This is the best list I've found so far.
https://www.chronicle.com/blogs/live-coronavirus-updates/heres-a-list-of-colleges-that-will-require-students-to-be-vaccinated-against-covid-19?cid=gen_sign_in

As of yesterday my university has joined the list. It was funny because I was just talking with one of the students in my lab about whether we would, and said that based on the fact all our "aspirational peers" in the area were doing it you could bet we would shortly follow- sure enough. I think we would have had good voluntary compliance anyway but I'm glad they formalized it.

An issue I hadn't thought about but that the announcement raised as something they are seeking expert consultation on, is what to do about students who got vaccines outside the US that aren't FDA approved here (which will apply to quite a few Chinese students who spent the year remote from China). My guess is they will be required to get a booster with an FDA approved vaccine when they arrive next fall, but hopefully the CDC will provide some best practices guidance on that.

"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Caracal

Quote from: downer on April 27, 2021, 04:52:05 AM
Millions are skipping their second dose of vaccine. Doctors say they are worried. But they have no idea what the effects are of skipping the second dose, they say, just speculation. They don't know how long the vaccine will be effective for. In Europe, it has been standard policy to wait 3 months between doses, but why not 6 months? It's not exactly evidence-based practice.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/25/business/covid-vaccines-second-doses.html

I put that in the category of not particularly surprising and also not really all that worrying. If you get over 90 percent of people to come back and do something in a month, you're doing pretty well. There's also a fair amount of data that even one dose gives a pretty decent amount of protection. Seems like its low on the list of things to worry about.

ab_grp

Youngest got her first dose last week but was not scheduled for a second.  She called the DOH yesterday and was told to wait until the second dose was closer to coming due to schedule it.  I don't think that kind of rigamarole helps bring people back (though she will be pursuing it further, not giving up on the second dose).