News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Vaccination nation

Started by downer, December 23, 2020, 07:05:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hegemony

That seems like a reasonable decision, rather than something undertaken maliciously, i.e. just out of a desire for spite. I would actually encourage faculty to allow this option generally during present conditions. (Our ICU is full and patients have died in the waiting room waiting for a bed. Not the time to go taking risks, in my opinion, though not in the opinion of our administration.)

evil_physics_witchcraft

We can't ask students about vaccination status (which makes sense) or make anyone wear a mask. We can only encourage mask-wearing and getting a vaccine.

One third of my class was maskless today.

secundem_artem

I spent a while today helping out with Covid testing so students could get their dorm keys (for those who have not send in their vax confirmation). For the un-vaxed, we tell them where the clinic is and advise them to get over there pronto. The staff member running the  process told me he mentioned this to one fresh-peep.  What which point peep's father shot a dirty look and said, "Back off."
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

Puget

Everyone here (students, faculty and staff) is required to be fully vaccinated (or in the case of international students who need US approved vaccines, be scheduled for the first dose) or be approved for an exemption (which I think they are giving very few of) by the first day of classes Thursday. So far the dashboard reports 95% for faculty/staff and 93% for students. Some percentage of the remainder just haven't uploaded their cards yet.

So far so good-- 5000+ tests so far in the past week (required of all students twice a week and faculty/staff once a week) and only 9 positives (0.17%).

With near 100% vaccination, testing, tracing, and continued indoor masking I expect campus to be just about the safest place around this fall.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

lightning

Quote from: secundem_artem on August 24, 2021, 03:20:31 PM
I spent a while today helping out with Covid testing so students could get their dorm keys (for those who have not send in their vax confirmation). For the un-vaxed, we tell them where the clinic is and advise them to get over there pronto. The staff member running the  process told me he mentioned this to one fresh-peep.  What which point peep's father shot a dirty look and said, "Back off."

They should have waited to give the advice, after the idiot father left.

mamselle

Probably.

But so often, idiots forget to put on the tags they're supposed to wear, identifying them as idiots, and one makes the simple error of mistaking them for normal people.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ciao_yall

clean

QuoteWe can't ask students about vaccination status (which makes sense) or make anyone wear a mask. We can only encourage mask-wearing and getting a vaccine.

One third of my class was maskless today.

we are in the same boat, but I think that my first day experience was the opposite - only about 1/3 wore a mask.  I will count again today.

I know that last week at our college meetings, only about 1/3 of the faculty (and NO chairs) wore masks!
We are not going to be Leading By Example! 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Caracal

Quote from: secundem_artem on August 24, 2021, 03:20:31 PM

I think an appropriate response would have been to tell this guy that this is a university protocol, the kid is an adult, and if the father is going to behave in an inappropriate and confrontational way with staff doing their job, he'll have to leave.

clean

Yesterday I saw a chair yesterday walking to the bathroom WEARING A MASK!!

Later in the day, I got a report from a coworker that the dean had tested positive! 

Maybe it will help to inspire mask wearing, but it seems that yesterday had only 1/3 or so of the students masked.

waterboy

We have the option of gently asking them to leave if maskless, then we can call campus police and/or cancel class. I won't call the cops on anyone for that, but hopefully canceling class puts a lot of peer pressure on a person. 1st class was 100% masked. Hoping that continues.
"I know you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that what you heard was not what I meant."

the_geneticist

We have not been told anything about if we can ask students to put on masks, ask them to leave, etc.  I'm most worried about the graduate TAs who do a lot of the teaching in our labs & discussions.  They are going to want to know if they can require students to put on masks (or if they will personally be in trouble if they DON'T require students to put on masks).  It's honestly a lose-lose situation unless we have 100% mask compliance.

clean

QuoteWe have the option of gently asking them to leave if maskless, then we can call campus police and/or cancel class. I won't call the cops on anyone for that, but hopefully canceling class puts a lot of peer pressure on a person. 1st class was 100% masked. Hoping that continues.

Our options are far more limited.  We can ask once, and offer a mask, but if the student refuses, we are directed to move on- nothing more.
We CAN use a seating chart, but the provost explicitly noted that we can not discriminate by mask choice (like move the massless to the back of the room.) 

From what I understand, we can not even keep maskless people out of our offices!  Im not too worried that anyone will visit my office, either with or without a mask!  but IF I do feel uncomfortable with a maskless person, I will just announce that Im not feeling well and have to go to the bathroom.  Once I return, I will announce that I am going home.  That is my thinking anyway.  I have plenty of sick leave and I will certainly document it so that I am more protected from retaliation. 

mamselle

Quote from: clean on August 26, 2021, 10:55:25 AM
Yesterday I saw a chair yesterday walking to the bathroom WEARING A MASK!!

Later in the day, I got a report from a coworker that the dean had tested positive! 

Maybe it will help to inspire mask wearing, but it seems that yesterday had only 1/3 or so of the students masked.

Sorry, but this visually-motivated individual read your first line as the description of a four-legged piece of furniture walking with a mask somewhere on its upper regions.

A burst of guffaws ensued when my double-take was over and I'd re-read it properly, in context.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

clean

QuoteSorry, but this visually-motivated individual read your first line as the description of a four-legged piece of furniture walking with a mask somewhere on its upper regions.

Well, they are often wooden faced, inflexible, and only marginally of benefit to faculty.