News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Vaccination nation

Started by downer, December 23, 2020, 07:05:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaysixteen

Reminds me of the excellent critique of the US that Solzhenitsyn offered to the Harvard campus soon after coming here, namely that Americans are all about rights, and ignore responsibilities.

nebo113

Quote from: secundem_artem on December 06, 2021, 07:39:06 PM
I was in a meeting this morning to discuss vaccine issues here in the State of Artem.  One person on the call is a public health nurse in one of our southern tier counties.  It's where the stupid starts in our state until you cross the border and enter a state where the real crazy begins.

Said nurse mentioned that in her community, the locals will talk endlessly about their rights - right to carry a gun, right to refuse to wear a mask, right to refuse a vaccine, rights rights rights morning till night.  Cause is says so in the Constitution.  Never a mention of any attendant responsibilities such FREEEEEEDOM types keep rabbiting on about.

Having grown up outside these here Excited States this simply confirms my bias that the US Constitution is primarily a fetish object to fuel the masturbatory fantasies of a bunch of wooly hatted mouth breathers.

Once upon a time, every American thought they were a constitutional scholar.  Now, they're all epidemiologists too.

We must live in the same area.  My little blood red county had 60 new cases last week.....just as Christmas parades and events are underway.  Unmasked, of course.

Hibush

Quote from: kaysixteen on December 06, 2021, 09:54:37 PM
Reminds me of the excellent critique of the US that Solzhenitsyn offered to the Harvard campus soon after coming here, namely that Americans are all about rights, and ignore responsibilities.
I think a lot of Americans were taken aback by Solzhenitsyn's critiques. Exposing Soviet abuses did not make him gauge the US by those measures alone.

Caracal

Quote from: nebo113 on December 07, 2021, 05:43:34 AM
I was in a meeting this morning to discuss vaccine issues here in the State of Artem.  One person on the call is a public health nurse in one of our southern tier counties.  It's where the stupid starts in our state until you cross the border and enter a state where the real crazy begins.

Said nurse mentioned that in her community, the locals will talk endlessly about their rights - right to carry a gun, right to refuse to wear a mask, right to refuse a vaccine, rights rights rights morning till night.  Cause is says so in the Constitution.  Never a mention of any attendant responsibilities such FREEEEEEDOM types keep rabbiting on about.

Having grown up outside these here Excited States this simply confirms my bias that the US Constitution is primarily a fetish object to fuel the masturbatory fantasies of a bunch of wooly hatted mouth breathers.

Once upon a time, every American thought they were a constitutional scholar.  Now, they're all epidemiologists too.

We must live in the same area.  My little blood red county had 60 new cases last week.....just as Christmas parades and events are underway.  Unmasked, of course.

Really not worth worrying about anything outside, that's not the risk.

Hibush

BMJ (Formerly the British Medical Journal) has a nice interactive for checking the effect of various scenarios on transmission.
https://sandpit.bmj.com/graphics/2021/transEmbed/index.html

Singing is crazy transmissive...unless you wear an N95 mask. That sounds like a difficult combination to pull off. 

mamselle

I've seen a couple church services using them.

A good singer can support their sound well enough to be heard.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

pgher

Quote from: mamselle on December 07, 2021, 11:42:01 AM

M.

Our church and community choirs (same director) use special singing masks. Extra thick fabric but structure that gets it away from your mouth. I use mine for teaching also. The biggest problem is hearing the people around you because we space out, too.

aside

Quote from: pgher on December 07, 2021, 03:25:10 PM

M.

Our church and community choirs (same director) use special singing masks. Extra thick fabric but structure that gets it away from your mouth. I use mine for teaching also. The biggest problem is hearing the people around you because we space out, too.

My university's choirs wear these as well.  I also wear one while teaching (because masking is required in the classroom), and it does a much better job of not fogging up my glasses.

pgher

Quote from: aside on December 08, 2021, 07:51:04 AM

M.

My university's choirs wear these as well.  I also wear one while teaching (because masking is required in the classroom), and it does a much better job of not fogging up my glasses.

I just saw these on TV last night: https://vocaleasemask.com/. Pricey but I might get one anyway.

aside

Quote from: pgher on December 08, 2021, 09:49:04 AM
Quote from: aside on December 08, 2021, 07:51:04 AM

M.

I just saw these on TV last night: https://vocaleasemask.com/. Pricey but I might get one anyway.

Thanks for the link.  These look even larger (and less duck-bill-like) than the ones I have now, so I might look into one also.

smallcleanrat

Quote from: Caracal on December 07, 2021, 06:50:41 AM
Quote from: nebo113 on December 07, 2021, 05:43:34 AM

Really not worth worrying about anything outside, that's not the risk.

Is outside still considered low risk in a closely packed crowd? Consider a crowd that's turned out to watch a parade. Isn't it pretty common for people to be standing shoulder-to-shoulder (talking, shouting, and cheering) for an hour or more?

mahagonny

A student told me yesterday she got a fever from the (3rd) booster. And that's a 20-year-old. I've had the two, spouse wants be to get the third. But I may not. Do you think they'll be pressuring us to get a fourth shot later on? Enough already.

Puget

Quote from: mahagonny on December 14, 2021, 11:27:10 AM
A student told me yesterday she got a fever from the (3rd) booster. And that's a 20-year-old. I've had the two, spouse wants be to get the third. But I may not. Do you think they'll be pressuring us to get a fourth shot later on? Enough already.

A fever is just a sign that your immune system is responding to the vaccine as it should, it isn't anything to worry about.

Preliminary evidence is that boosters double efficacy against omicron compared to 2 doses. They don't just re-up antibodies, they help you develop broader antibodies, that are more protective against multiple variants (immune systems are cool that way!).

And so what if you need a fourth shot later on? Do you have the same attitude toward the flu shot, which you need every year?

Look, you've been offered a freaking miracle of science that can literarily save your life. For free. At your local pharmacy. If you don't want it because you're afraid of some minor side effects or just can't be bothered, I guess nothing I can say is going to change that.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Hibush

Quote from: mahagonny on December 14, 2021, 11:27:10 AM

By "they" you mean the sars-cov variants. The answer is yes.

apl68

Most people I know personally have been vaccinated.  But I do know or know of several families who've suffered losses due to vaccine refusal.  One man has left a widow and two children with no means of support.  The other losses were older people who died after protracted attempts to save their lives.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.