News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Vaccination nation

Started by downer, December 23, 2020, 07:05:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahagonny

QuoteA fever is just a sign that your immune system is responding to the vaccine as it should, it isn't anything to worry about.

Amazing the things you can learn by hanging out with real academics!

Quote from: Hibush on December 14, 2021, 05:06:35 PM
Quote from: mahagonny on December 14, 2021, 11:27:10 AM
A student told me yesterday she got a fever from the (3rd) booster. And that's a 20-year-old. I've had the two, spouse wants be to get the third. But I may not. Do you think they'll be pressuring us to get a fourth shot later on? Enough already.

By "they" you mean the sars-cov variants. The answer is yes.

Personification gets you an additional three points. Well done.

Quote from: apl68 on December 15, 2021, 06:20:34 AM
Most people I know personally have been vaccinated.  But I do know or know of several families who've suffered losses due to vaccine refusal.  One man has left a widow and two children with no means of support.  The other losses were older people who died after protracted attempts to save their lives.

I've got that one solved. If I die, nobody will have to live without me who doesn't deserve to.

lightning

Most people I know personally have been vaccinated.  But I do know or know of several families who've suffered losses due to vaccine refusal.  One man has left a widow and two children with no means of support. The other losses were older people who died after protracted attempts to save their lives.

Was that guy anti-life-insurance, too?

One would think that guy would at least have just enough brain power to get a cheap term life insurance policy, before playing anti-vax roulette. Also, since anti-vaxers tend to also subscribe to obsolete notions of male gender roles, with the man of the house being the supporter of the traditional family unit, one might think that he would at least have life insurance to cover his family, in case God didn't protect him and he loses a round of anti-vax-roulette.

mahagonny

Quote from: lightning on December 15, 2021, 10:38:57 AM
Most people I know personally have been vaccinated.  But I do know or know of several families who've suffered losses due to vaccine refusal.  One man has left a widow and two children with no means of support. The other losses were older people who died after protracted attempts to save their lives.

One would think that guy would at least have just enough brain power to get a cheap term life insurance policy, before playing anti-vax roulette. Also, since anti-vaxers tend to also subscribe to obsolete notions of male gender roles, with the man of the house being the supporter of the traditional family unit, one might think that he would at least have life insurance to cover his family, in case God didn't protect him and he loses a round of anti-vax-roulette.

or maybe, applying woke wisdom to his situation, he reasoned that for the head of the male household to buy life insurance in the event of untimely death is just more toxic male patriarchy.

Hegemony

I wouldn't expect an anti-vaxxer would buy life insurance due to Covid. The ones I've known believe that their manly immune systems are enough to fight off this minor virus that is "no worse than the flu." And I always remember the precept: "Many people fail because they conclude that fundamentals simply do not apply in their case." Life insurance and vulnerability to death being among those fundamentals.

lightning

Quote from: mahagonny on December 15, 2021, 10:59:15 AM

or maybe, applying woke wisdom to his situation, he reasoned that for the head of the male household to buy life insurance in the event of untimely death is just more toxic male patriarchy.

Woke wisdom does not apply in this situation. If he was "woke," he would have most likely been vaccinated.

Still swinging and missing. Hey, you are entertaining again!

lightning

Quote from: Hegemony on December 15, 2021, 12:26:52 PM
I wouldn't expect an anti-vaxxer would buy life insurance due to Covid. The ones I've known believe that their manly immune systems are enough to fight off this minor virus that is "no worse than the flu." And I always remember the precept: "Many people fail because they conclude that fundamentals simply do not apply in their case." Life insurance and vulnerability to death being among those fundamentals.

I'm stealing that. That's an erudite way of explaining why some people say and do stupid things.

mahagonny

so you're sorting people into two categories, the smart people and the anti-vaxxers. love that nuance.

lightning

Quote from: mahagonny on December 15, 2021, 12:37:49 PM

so you're sorting people into two categories, the smart people and the anti-vaxxers. love that nuance.

Give it up, clown. Putting words in my mouth won't help your cause, and proceeding further only dooms you to being a living example of the quote in question. Hey, have you taken my suggestion from last summer, yet, and pulled yourself up by your bootstraps and doubled down on your efforts to get on the tenure track and get tenured, so you can stand up to all of your left-wing woke enemies at those "woke" training sessions?

mahagonny

Quote from: lightning on December 15, 2021, 12:28:19 PM

Woke wisdom does not apply in this situation. If he was "woke," he would have most likely been vaccinated.

So he could hang around for another twenty years, to further oppress women, gays and racial minorities? Hardly seems worth it.

Kron3007

I dont know abotu that.  I know some pretty woke folk who are quite anti-vax.  They will just yoga their way through it.

lightning

Quote from: Kron3007 on December 15, 2021, 02:37:44 PM

I dont know abotu that.  I know some pretty woke folk who are quite anti-vax.  They will just yoga their way through it.

Let 'em. There are always exceptions (that's why I used "most likely").

lightning

Quote from: mahagonny on December 15, 2021, 12:53:55 PM

So he could hang around for another twenty years, to further oppress women, gays and racial minorities? Hardly seems worth it.

Sounds like a dream job for you. I say follow your passions and go for it.

Liquidambar

At the risk of sounding like mahagonny, I am also not thrilled about the idea of getting a booster.  I felt sick enough after the second shot that I couldn't manage to find the thermometer or take a fever-reducing medicine.  Yes, it was "only" a fever, but I was miserable.

Still, I'll probably get a booster over the break when I can plan for two consecutive days with no responsibilities.

Quote from: Kron3007 on December 15, 2021, 02:37:44 PM

I read about a study of how people change (or don't change) their strongly held opinions when presented with evidence.  I don't remember the exact punchline of the study, but the method was cool.  They studied anti-vaxxers because they wanted something that wasn't associated with a particular political viewpoint but was similarly strongly held.  They could find anti-vaxxers from both extremes of the political spectrum.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

mahagonny

Quote from: Liquidambar on December 15, 2021, 06:00:29 PM

I read about a study of how people change (or don't change) their strongly held opinions when presented with evidence.  I don't remember the exact punchline of the study, but the method was cool.  They studied anti-vaxxers because they wanted something that wasn't associated with a particular political viewpoint but was similarly strongly held.  They could find anti-vaxxers from both extremes of the political spectrum.

I'm not an anti-vaxxer. I've had two but I may stop there. I'm a libertarian. People can get one or not. Have a blast. Try not to make a religion out of it. That's called living in a free society.
Saying 'we are running out of patience with people who won't vaccinate' is an extreme position, coming from a leader of a free society, but is not generally commented on, except by 'extremists' like Tucker Carlson.
As for the COVID vaccine being a miracle, I think it falls a bit short of things like penicillin, coronary bypass surgery. It's more like the flu vaccine. Maybe a little more efficacious than the flu vaccine. I got the flu vaccine two years ago then got whacked. Temperature was 103. I still get them. I have asthma.
I just subbed yesterday for a colleague who is home with a breakthrough bout of COVID. He was fully vaccinated and caught it anyway.

Liquidambar

Quote from: mahagonny on December 16, 2021, 04:51:04 AM
Quote from: Liquidambar on December 15, 2021, 06:00:29 PM

I'm not an anti-vaxxer. I've had two but I may stop there. I'm a libertarian. People can get one or not. Have a blast. Try not to make a religion out of it. That's called living in a free society.
Saying 'we are running out of patience with people who won't vaccinate' is an extreme position, coming from a leader of a free society, but is not generally commented on, except by 'extremists' like Tucker Carlson.
As for the COVID vaccine being a miracle, I think it falls a bit short of things like penicillin, coronary bypass surgery. It's more like the flu vaccine. Maybe a little more efficacious than the flu vaccine. I got the flu vaccine two years ago then got whacked. Temperature was 103. I still get them. I have asthma.
I just subbed yesterday for a colleague who is home with a breakthrough bout of COVID. He was fully vaccinated and caught it anyway.

Oh my goodness.  I don't know where you got any of that from what I actually wrote.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently