Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Vaccination nation

Started by downer, December 23, 2020, 07:05:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larimar

Quote from: nebo113 on December 18, 2021, 05:57:09 AM
Thanks to newprofwife....

I'd rather be a lab rat than a plague rat.

That's a good line.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Jesus.... I just found out that my brother and his family are not vaccinated. And they want us to come over there for Xmas. My mother is insisting that we all go over there. Good Lord. I just can't deal with the stupidity.

lightning

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on December 18, 2021, 11:32:33 AM
Jesus.... I just found out that my brother and his family are not vaccinated. And they want us to come over there for Xmas. My mother is insisting that we all go over there. Good Lord. I just can't deal with the stupidity.

Don't go. If it's their right not to get vaccinated, it's your right to refuse to visit them.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: lightning on December 18, 2021, 11:42:01 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on December 18, 2021, 11:32:33 AM

Don't go. If it's their right not to get vaccinated, it's your right to refuse to visit them.

Did I mention that they're all crazy? My brother and his wife got Covid last year and have 'natural immunity.'

clean

If they DID have COVID, then why wouldnt they have natural immunity and be just as safe as the rest of us with 'un natural immunity'?

I replied to the Venting post to fake a car problem, but IF they have acquired 'natural immunity' what is the issue? 

there are a lot of reasons not to go, but if they did have COVID, the vaccination seems to be a lower level reason.

"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Puget

Quote from: clean on December 18, 2021, 03:20:56 PM
If they DID have COVID, then why wouldnt they have natural immunity and be just as safe as the rest of us with 'un natural immunity'?

I replied to the Venting post to fake a car problem, but IF they have acquired 'natural immunity' what is the issue? 

there are a lot of reasons not to go, but if they did have COVID, the vaccination seems to be a lower level reason.

Not remotely true-- "natural immunity" does't provide anything close to the same level of protections as vaccination.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

dismalist

Quote from: Puget on December 18, 2021, 03:32:01 PM

Not remotely true-- "natural immunity" does't provide anything close to the same level of protections as vaccination.

Natural immunity may well be stronger immunity.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02795-x

Sources differ. My Bayesian prior, determined by, at this stage, necessarily noisy information, is that natural and artificial immunity are equal.

No reason to panic.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

ciao_yall

Quote from: dismalist on December 18, 2021, 03:48:07 PM

Sources differ. My Bayesian prior, determined by, at this stage, necessarily noisy information, is that natural and artificial immunity are equal.

No reason to panic.

Assuming you didn't die first.

Natural immunity didn't work so well for the Black Plague, Spanish Flu, Polio...

dismalist

Quote from: ciao_yall on December 18, 2021, 05:43:47 PM
Quote from: dismalist on December 18, 2021, 03:48:07 PM

No reason to panic.

Assuming you didn't die first.

Natural immunity didn't work so well for the Black Plague, Spanish Flu, Polio...

What one must understand is that not everyone who catches Covid, vaccinated, unvaccinated, or previously infected, will suffer or die from it. Natural vs. vaccinated immunity to Covid is like putting you into two different gambling joints, each with different odds. Plague, 1918 Flu, and obviously polio, and all the rest are different gambling joints -- they have different propagation and morbidity and mortality properties. My guess, from the noisy data coming in, is the odds for Covid are the same in the natural and vaccinated joints. Others may have different guesses.

Guarantees there are not. Get used to it.

I am here to convey, not to convince. :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mahagonny

Quote from: Puget on December 16, 2021, 10:41:53 AM
Quote from: aside on December 16, 2021, 08:51:28 AM
Quote from: pgher on December 16, 2021, 06:40:05 AM
My son's college has instituted a requirement that all faculty, staff, and students receive a booster by a certain date in January. Students also have to provide a negative test in order to resume studies in the spring.

Meanwhile, my college was originally going to comply with the executive order requiring federal contractors to have their employees vaccinated (only employees, not students) but stopped when a judge issued an injunction.

Mine did this as well.

Here as well.

Mine too. Just announced. This helps Joe Biden politically, which all of our college presidents want. Which isn't a good reason not to get the booster shot, but it is something to notice.

downer

What's the given rationale for colleges requiring people to get boosters. Is there evidence that people who get boosters are less likely to infect others? Or are colleges aiming to reduce the burden on hospitals?
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Puget

Quote from: downer on December 19, 2021, 08:10:17 AM
What's the given rationale for colleges requiring people to get boosters. Is there evidence that people who get boosters are less likely to infect others? Or are colleges aiming to reduce the burden on hospitals?

Boosters reduce infections, so yes, that reduces transmission. Two doses is not enough with omicron-- the data on that is pretty clear now.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."

clean

QuoteNatural immunity didn't work so well for the Black Plague, Spanish Flu, Polio...

Im not sure what you are saying.   Generally speaking immunity means that you can not get the same illness twice. It does not mean that you can not get sick in the first instance! So someone that gets and survives the Black Plague or polio would not be able to get it again.  That does not mean that they were protected in the first place!

I am not aware of any cases of people getting any of those illnesses listed twice. 

However, I will concede that viruses mutate, so it is possible that one could catch a variant of the disease once it sufficiently mutates. However, that would be true o the COVID vaccine and perhaps the Omicron variant, or whatever comes next.  After all, we get an annual flu shot. 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Puget

Quote from: clean on December 19, 2021, 08:35:58 AM
QuoteNatural immunity didn't work so well for the Black Plague, Spanish Flu, Polio...

Im not sure what you are saying.   Generally speaking immunity means that you can not get the same illness twice. It does not mean that you can not get sick in the first instance! So someone that gets and survives the Black Plague or polio would not be able to get it again.  That does not mean that they were protected in the first place!

I am not aware of any cases of people getting any of those illnesses listed twice. 

However, I will concede that viruses mutate, so it is possible that one could catch a variant of the disease once it sufficiently mutates. However, that would be true o the COVID vaccine and perhaps the Omicron variant, or whatever comes next.  After all, we get an annual flu shot.

There are pathogens where infection confers life-long immunity, but unfortunately covid isn't one of them.  There is pretty good evidence that (a) natural immunity from covid declines fairly quickly (within months), and (b) infection with prior variants seems to confer limited protection against omicron. So you really don't want to be counting on "natural immunity" alone. Now, there is evidence that "hybrid immunity" (vax followed by breakthrough infection) is really good, better than either alone. But you want it in that order, not risking infection without vaccine first.

Caracal

Quote from: clean on December 19, 2021, 08:35:58 AM

Interesting article on this.
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2021/09/sterilizing-immunity-myth-covid-19-vaccines/620023/

Basically, it isn't really clear that immunity ever provides some sort of complete protection from infection.