News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

First world problems! Share them here!

Started by ciao_yall, April 05, 2021, 09:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polly_mer

We were without power for ten whole minutes today as the city upgraded our electric meter to the new fancy one that the whole city is getting.

We didn't know it was coming today and I had to leave the telecon early.

I expect have been assigned tasks for next week because I wasn't there to say nope.  I may or may not do those tasks depending on how tomorrow's second dose goes.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

ergative

I have a nice fountain pen that smells like old socks. This is a recurring problem, and last time I think a soapy soap plus air-drying fixed the problem, but that hasn't fixed it this time. Now I'm soaking it in vinegar solution in the hopes that this will fix it, but I'm annoyed. I like this fountain pen. (It's a TSBI 580).

Oh, well. Back to my Pilot Metros.

Also: Tomoe River Paper has been redesigned and is now worse, apparently. I don't learn this until after it's too late to stock up on my Nanami Seven Seas notebooks. Argh.

My stationery life is rough.

Wahoo Redux

The hydraulic adjuster thingee on my Ikea office chair will sometimes deflate without warning.  Sometimes I have to turn the chair over on the floor and adjust it that way.  I hate to be surprised by that sinking feeling.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

ciao_yall

The yoga studio closest to my place only has hot yoga at times that are convenient for me.

I'm trying but it's just a misery - who wants to have an hour-long hot flash?

My skin does look rather detoxed this morning. So there's that.

the_geneticist

A bird ate the one cherry on my cherry tree.

There go my plans for a tiny cake topped with one tiny cherry.

wareagle

Last year some creature ate the one lone wild strawberry I had in the yard.  It was the size of a large pea, and perfectly formed.  I had visions of floating it in a flute of champagne during brunch.  Alas.
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

apl68

Quote from: the_geneticist on May 12, 2021, 11:52:19 AM

That WAS a disappointment, wasn't it?
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I had to wrestle with password updates and other bullshit while filing my taxes, but I did it!

smallcleanrat

Can you still have the tiny cake? Or is it just not worth it without the tiny cherry?

Anselm

Amazon is no longer showing me other books bought by the people who purchased the current book I am looking at now.   Instead they show me suggested books based on my previous searches and purchases.  Then they have a row of "sponsored items" related to the book I am looking at.  It was nice to see what is being read by people with similar interests to my own.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

Cheerful

Quote from: smallcleanrat on May 12, 2021, 02:39:15 PM

Can you still have the tiny cake? Or is it just not worth it without the tiny cherry?

Alternatively, the best course of action may be to make plans for a large cake with plentiful other toppings -- and to follow through with said plans.  (Being that the excuse for tiny has now gone away.)

Vkw10

Quote from: Anselm on May 12, 2021, 06:24:24 PM
Amazon is no longer showing me other books bought by the people who purchased the current book I am looking at now.   Instead they show me suggested books based on my previous searches and purchases.  Then they have a row of "sponsored items" related to the book I am looking at.  It was nice to see what is being read by people with similar interests to my own.

It's getting difficult to find a specific item on Amazon. Drives me nuts to enter a title and author/singer/actor, only to see several items with three of the seven words I entered appear before the item I wanted, which matches all of my search terms.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

dismalist

Two weeks ago our electricity went off twice, for nearly three hours each time.

This is clearly a problem unique to the world's most advanced developing country.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

the_geneticist

Quote from: smallcleanrat on May 12, 2021, 02:39:15 PM

I can still have a tiny cake. I'll just have to contemplate other tiny toppings. I have lots of strawberries

apl68

I've been hit with a little blitz of online surveys and forms from various sources.  Work-related, so I can't just ignore them.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.