News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Portable printer

Started by nebo113, December 01, 2021, 10:29:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nebo113

for MacBook Air.  Would something like this work??   Pantum P2500W Wireless Monochrome Laser Printer

mamselle

Very long ago, I got a portable printer for my first lengthy *(several months') research stay in France (PC, not MAC, though).

It worked for quite awhile, and it wasn't even too hard to find ink cartridges for it.

But when it crumped, it crumped, and no-one knew how to fix it...so if this is for research travel, you might do best to buy something from the place you're going to, to be sure service and parts will be available. Even US stuff that says, "international" may have counterparts elsewhere that are easier to get.

Also, as it turned out, the printers in the libraries and commercial printing places were fine, even in the smaller towns I was working in, so it ended up being less necessary than I'd expected; I never brought it with me again after that first trip.

I realize that's two questions ahead of what you asked, but just in case....

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

hmaria1609

I remember a patron who brought her own portable printer when she came to the library. She had a collapsible cart with her too.

nebo113

Quote from: hmaria1609 on December 01, 2021, 12:10:27 PM
I remember a patron who brought her own portable printer when she came to the library. She had a collapsible cart with her too.

Reminds me of my first computer, bought in 1985 for my dissertation, a CPM machine that weighed about 40 pounds.  The keyboard could be latched onto the monitor, and it had a handle for "portability."

jerseyjay

I am curious what you need a portable printer for.

I ask because I have never felt the need to have one. Rarely do I need to print anything while I am on a research (or other trip), but if I do, I usually can print one out at the hotel, the library, or a copy-shop. Of course, if you had to print out hundreds of pages, this probably wouldn't work--but if you had to print out hundreds of pages, I doubt a portable printer would help either.

At the same time, as people may remember, I don't even have a printer at home, and have made use of my work printer for large jobs, and the local library or copy shop for smaller jobs that cannot wait till the next time I am on campus. So perhaps people who print more than I do might need something else.

nebo113

Quote from: jerseyjay on December 02, 2021, 08:06:49 PM
I am curious what you need a portable printer for.

I ask because I have never felt the need to have one. Rarely do I need to print anything while I am on a research (or other trip), but if I do, I usually can print one out at the hotel, the library, or a copy-shop. Of course, if you had to print out hundreds of pages, this probably wouldn't work--but if you had to print out hundreds of pages, I doubt a portable printer would help either.

At the same time, as people may remember, I don't even have a printer at home, and have made use of my work printer for large jobs, and the local library or copy shop for smaller jobs that cannot wait till the next time I am on campus. So perhaps people who print more than I do might need something else.

I have an "ordinary" printer at home, but want a lighter one that it easier to move when I re-locate to winter quarters.  Will probably get another "ordinary" one and leave it here (family place).