News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Happy New Year 2021/2022 !! Whatchya gonna do?

Started by clean, December 31, 2021, 11:03:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clean

We arrived from my parents' house (1300 miles) yesterday.  Today is laundry and restocking the groceries and other housekeeping issues.

I did the grocery shopping. It was a mad house!  It took at least an hour!  The traffic was backed up getting to the store and it was worse when I left.  I even had a car wait for me while I unloaded my groceries from the cart to the car!  And there were 3 more cars waiting behind that one! 
Fortunately, the store must have expected the rush as most of the lanes were running, though they were 2 or 3 deep in the aisle waiting to get checked out!! 

So it looks like a LOT of people are using the lunch hour to get ready for the weekend.

We have no particular plans for tonight.  As I have shopped I can say that we have the option to have either a steak on the grill, some broccoli and new potatoes or we can make chili and rice, or lasagna.  After the trip, I am still pretty sleepy so an early to sleep night would be fine with me IF the neighbors dont have any illegal fireworks planned for the area.

Sometime this weekend I need to get my blackboard shells inspected and make sure that the classes are ready to go.

So what are YOUR plans for New Year's Eve?   

Will you get a Power Ball Ticket as the jackpot is at 1/2 a Billion Dollars? 

Anyway, i hope that you all have a great night and a wonderful 2022.  I hope that COVID becomes at least more manageable and that the politics of the nation calm down so that we are not such a divided body.  (though being united via some conflict would not be helpful either! )

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

mamselle

I'm feeding a neighboring student/friend's cats again tonight, then home, then Zooming with a friend; I doubt if we stay up very late.

Tomorrow, dunno. Probably take a walk in the AM after feeding the cats, come back, putter, get stuff done, rest, enjoy, putter, feed the cats, come back, etc.

The siblings decided to put off another Zoom until the end of the month (when three of us have birthdays) so I'll just be Zooming with another friend tomorrow night.

I'm looking forward to peaceable.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

clean

What tradition will you partake in tonight and tomorrow? 

Will you eat grapes, black eyed peas, greens or something else?

Will you kiss someone at midnight (hopefully safely)?

Will you sing a song?

Watch the NY ball drop show?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

mamselle

Actually, having for years either played for, performed in groups that played for, danced in, or attended dances for the New Year, I'm enjoying the hiatus.

One of the folk dances I might have attended in person in some other year has cancelled but is not going online as previously announced; a swing dance group, based in a different school, has gone on lockdown and won't be doing a Zoom version, either...but that's OK, too.

We'll have folk dance on Tuesday as usual.

I don't any longer consume whole plates of sauerkraut as one did at the German restaurant I used to play for in Columbus, OH; I didn't think to get the makings of a King Cake (galette du roi but those take awhile and then you have a whole cake left to eat, whether or not you find the charm (and it's really for Jan 6 although my Belgian cousin usually does it when she has guests on New Years so she doesn't have to eat the whole thing herself, either).

I'd consider a buche de noel or jelly roll with custard (as my British cousins make, with strawberry jam filling), but again, making it and then eating the whole thing would be a huge dent in my diet...

So again, this year is different but I'm OK with that...there's a chapel service I may watch if they're broadcasting, it was up in the air (sorry, bad pun!) last I heard, so I'm still checking it out.

Quiet is nice.

M.   
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ab_grp

That is quite a drive to recover from, clean!

We started off the day with banana pancakes, and I made pizza dough and sauce for tonight.  We had planned to try to fit in two movies (at home), but now my husband is hooked on Downton Abbey, so we will at least watch the season 1 finale as part of our festivities.  Hopefully we can stay up until midnight for a New Year's kiss, though it's so rainy and dreary today that we are dragging.  Midnight is also kind of anticlimactic here since the east coast is the big deal, and there's not much going on at midnight our time.  Hopefully the rain will prevent or mitigate any neighborhood fireworks action.

My (Pennsylvania) family's tradition for New Year's Day is pork and sauerkraut, but for just the two of us it's too much, and we get tired of it after a few days.  So I decided this year to substitute a hot dog with sauerkraut for lunch tomorrow.  We are planning to have some eggnog french toast in the morning. 

Wishing everyone a very happy and healthy New Year! Fingers crossed.

Sun_Worshiper

It has been a relaxing day at home. Tonight we'll eat tamales, drink a little Champaign, have tarts for desert and maybe some hot cocoa. We'll try to make it to midnight. No plans tomorrow, although at some point this weekend I will be put to work in the yard.

We're coming off a lot of Christmas travel (multiple long trips), so a low key NYE/NY is in order.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I earned my nerd star today by prepping a template for next year's household budget (in spreadsheet form). I think I included all potential regular and irregular bills, as well as a comparison from the past two years. Data crunching is fun. :D

We plan to watch Netflix/Hulu, eat tiny appetizers and listen to our neighbors shoot guns (hopefully outside).

sinenomine

I just had cocktails with a friend (and her cats) and am curling up with football and snacks for the rest of the evening.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

Harlow2

Vampire in the woods with friends. We declared 10 to be midnight and did our long drive home

Thursday's_Child

I was tired from travel, so went to bed early and even managed to sleep through the neighborhood fireworks.  I'm sure they were as excellent as usual - the early ones sounded quite promising!

Today is nothing exciting - some shopping & puttering in and around the house.

Happy New Year, All!

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on December 31, 2021, 03:15:51 PM
It has been a relaxing day at home. Tonight we'll eat tamales, drink a little Champaign, have tarts for desert and maybe some hot cocoa. We'll try to make it to midnight. No plans tomorrow, although at some point this weekend I will be put to work in the yard.

We're coming off a lot of Christmas travel (multiple long trips), so a low key NYE/NY is in order.

Made it to midnight, but never got around to cracking open the champagne.

secundem_artem

Netflix and chill last night.  Having spent a lifetime in the academy, I've always felt that the New Year started on September 1, not January 1.

Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

Harlow2

Quote from: Harlow2 on January 01, 2022, 09:36:05 AM
Vampire in the woods with friends. We declared 10 to be midnight and did our long drive home

That should have been campfire, not vampire. We were all calm and well behaved.

ab_grp

Harlow2, I was wondering about that! I thought maybe Vampire was some sort of game.

Well, I'm off to a good start in the new year.  My clever substitution of hot dog with sauerkraut for roast pork and sauerkraut would have been a lot more clever if I had bought pork hot dogs, not beef.  Luckily, I redeemed myself somewhat with a new idea.  We had some breakfast sausage leftover from pizza last night and each placed a small piece in with our hot dogs.  Hopefully that still counts.  I'm not taking any chances.

evil_physics_witchcraft