Honesty Party

Started by marshwiggle, February 17, 2022, 07:28:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: marshwiggle on February 19, 2022, 06:48:17 AM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on February 18, 2022, 06:39:24 PM
Quote from: downer on February 18, 2022, 07:11:11 AM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on February 17, 2022, 11:32:18 AM
The answer is to get rid of political "parties" altogether.

Are there any countries which have done this, apart from China and Russia?

Regardless, political parties in America have simply become liabilities and are threatening democracy.

How would you avoid them? (Honest question) It seems to me that informal coalitions would have to form to pass any legislation...

Of course.

People will always have political leanings and zealotries.  And politicians will always need backing.

And this is 100% hypothetical and, since it will not happen, a somewhat pointless conjecture. But obviously American politics would need to redesign its protocols.

I just think that political parties are now simply divisive.  We tend to root for candidates as if we are rooting for a football team.  And the Republicans' entire agenda is demonizing Democratic politicians, China, and immigrants.  There is tremendous group-think and doublethink going on there.

The system is working, as dismalist says, but it is badly broken.  The Democrat / Republican divide is the rupture in the core.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

mahagonny

Quote from: ciao_yall on February 19, 2022, 09:05:13 AM
Quote from: mahagonny on February 19, 2022, 06:56:51 AM
I'm pretty sure mahoganny is a Russian troll sent here to recruit unhappy adjuncts to the MAGA world by convincing them that the academic world is their enemy. And that their only true friend is the same party that is trying to shut down public education. Not sure how that will work out for the unhappy adjuncts but hey...

Long as you brought it up, ciao_yall: I'm sincerely interested. what in your estimate are the current prevailing, commonest attitudes toward the academic world among adjunct faculty?

I'm sure the ones who would like a full-time job are more focused on trying to grow higher education to create opportunities for themselves. Or deciding it isn't going to work out for them and putting their skills and education to work in ways that will meet their personal and professional goals.

Those who don't wish to make a career in higher education are probably focused on their main careers or other factors outside of their lives, and getting whatever personal benefit they get out of teaching.

Anyone who works in an environment and comes in full of resentment like you, mahagonny tends to drown in their own miserable bitter stew before long.

That's why I don't think you are for real.

My pet theory is that you are getting paid by some Russian troll farm to get in character and fool around on this board before you go home to a shot of vodka and watch RT to see if you are going to get drafted to invade Ukraine or play on the ROC curling team.

If I read you correctly, you think a Russian who's up to no good could think there is a case to be made that the USA academic world is largely anti-American, and I agree. That's just a matter of paying attention.

But you're wrong about who is paying me. Use your imagination. Think of someone really white-supremacist, who hates hip hop, and has lots of free time, and  is in a bad mood. You guessed it -- Bill Cosby!
Can you help Black Lives Matter? They're just so misunderstood...

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: mahagonny on February 19, 2022, 11:10:06 AM
Quote from: ciao_yall on February 19, 2022, 09:05:13 AM
Quote from: mahagonny on February 19, 2022, 06:56:51 AM
I'm pretty sure mahoganny is a Russian troll sent here to recruit unhappy adjuncts to the MAGA world by convincing them that the academic world is their enemy. And that their only true friend is the same party that is trying to shut down public education. Not sure how that will work out for the unhappy adjuncts but hey...

Long as you brought it up, ciao_yall: I'm sincerely interested. what in your estimate are the current prevailing, commonest attitudes toward the academic world among adjunct faculty?

I'm sure the ones who would like a full-time job are more focused on trying to grow higher education to create opportunities for themselves. Or deciding it isn't going to work out for them and putting their skills and education to work in ways that will meet their personal and professional goals.

Those who don't wish to make a career in higher education are probably focused on their main careers or other factors outside of their lives, and getting whatever personal benefit they get out of teaching.

Anyone who works in an environment and comes in full of resentment like you, mahagonny tends to drown in their own miserable bitter stew before long.

That's why I don't think you are for real.

My pet theory is that you are getting paid by some Russian troll farm to get in character and fool around on this board before you go home to a shot of vodka and watch RT to see if you are going to get drafted to invade Ukraine or play on the ROC curling team.

If I read you correctly, you think a Russian who's up to no good could think there is a case to be made that the USA academic world is largely anti-American, and I agree. That's just a matter of paying attention.

But you're wrong about who is paying me. Use your imagination. Think of someone really white-supremacist, who hates hip hop, and has lots of free time, and  is in a bad mood. You guessed it -- Bill Cosby!
Can you help Black Lives Matter? They're just so misunderstood...

I work for the Illuminati. 
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.