News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Do your friends, family or colleagues read your work?

Started by Myword, August 19, 2022, 02:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

They're the only ones who ever have read any of my work, since none of it has ever been published.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

onehappyunicorn

As I am a visual artist my situation is obviously a little different. I have family who come to my shows sometimes, my parents drove up for an opening I had a few weeks back.
Sometimes we even have good discussions about what I am doing, though it's usually pretty surface level. That's perfectly fine by me, I don't expect anyone to be as interested in my weird little areas of exploration as I am...

waterboy

Honestly, often it pains me to read my own work. I would never foist it on family and friends.
"I know you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that what you heard was not what I meant."

Wahoo Redux

We once had a colleague suggest a unique local restaurant.  She'd heard it was good.  I then emailed her back my review of said restaurant, which was very surprising to her.  Guess she didn't read my stuff...

My mom always wanted copies of everything I wrote----and then never read it.  My mother-in-law tried to read an academic article I had published and told my wife, "Don't tell Wahoo, but I couldn't understand it."  So there was that.

I never foist stuff on people, even my wife.  I figure they've got better things to do.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

apl68

Quote from: waterboy on August 22, 2022, 10:09:54 AM
Honestly, often it pains me to read my own work. I would never foist it on family and friends.

I've read some novelists who could have made the world a happier place if they'd taken that attitude.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Myword

other reasons are  the fear they won't like it and I will ask them about it.  I have a Ph.D. friend who always says he will read my work and never does. He pretends to appreciate other things I do, Its patronizing politeness.. My family is unsupportive and unintellectual in all ways. If they watch PBS, that's enough.

People will forget the whole thing in a minute, out of mind and have no clue how much time you spent. But then, many people are not readers of nonfiction or anything. Even a poem. Well, they would read a recipe or a joke.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on August 22, 2022, 10:15:34 AM
I never foist stuff on people, even my wife.  I figure they've got better things to do.

My wife saw this post while I was rubbing her neck, and so I am here to rectify the situation: my wife does read my stuff willingly, with good humor, whenever I ask here to.  This is true.

Thanks, honey.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.