News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathwen

Good morning!

Tomtit was my last word on yesterday's SB.  I got tilth just by playing around; I would never have found it otherwise. 

Today I'm at genius with the pangram.  Langue_doc, nytbee says there is only one (whew!).

LB:  Yesterday I got benefactor-rheum, but wow, was that ever a hard one.  I had thumb, but didn't put it together with benefactor!   Today I found a 2fer with much less effort. 

Ciao_yall, I am in awe of your hostessing skills!  Enjoy your dinner party!  And good luck with the grading.  My semester ended last week, so I am mercifully free of all that until fall.

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to 146 today so far, but we have to go do some errands.  Yay on getting tomtit, ciao_yall.  That one takes me a while to remember.  I thought tilth was a tough one.  I forget what my final words were.  Congrats, Parasaurolophus!

Husband helped me finish off a LB contender, adding the first word: abutment-thenceforth.  I then came up with benefactor-rhumba.  My ships were behemoth-furnace, and I was trying to make something work there because the former is the name of a ship in a book we're reading.  Oh well.  Congrats on your 2fer today, cathwen! And yay on multiple solutions again.

And now a wrench in the plans has arisen: Toyota did not get the recall part in that was needed for the truck.  So, sounds like we are not dropping it off and will not be doing a donut/bagel/burrito run.  Guess I will have more time to get back to the bee! And sudokus. 

Hope your dinner party planning goes well, ciao_yall.  Let us know what you prepare this time!

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Got to QB with some help from Shunn for the final two words.  Husband got there a while ago.  I really should have found my final two words given others I had! Argh.

Couple LB contenders, but no luck yet.

Langue_doc

Just got home all bleary-eyed from a visit to the eye doctor. cathwen, I found several more familiar words for the bee soon after I had posted about the possibility of a second pangram, so realized that there was just one. Got a twofer.

I have an early morning tomorrow and might also be gone on Sunday, so if I don't post here, it would be a combination of being out and not having my computer with me.

Sorry to hear about having to cancel the food run, ab_grp. Enjoy your dinner, ciao_yall.

ab_grp

Congrats on the 2fer, Langue_doc! Hope your eyes clear up and you enjoy your outings! The food run was mostly a bribe to myself, but we decided to use the extra time to get groceries that we meant to get last weekend.  We will try to do the fun food run when the truck does go in. 

Still no real luck on LB, but I haven't put too much time in yet and will work on it this evening.

ciao_yall

SB - At QB -2, according to shunn I need one MA word. Did get some aided recall to note some familiar words.

LB - tight 3fer, but 2fer has not emerged. Well, with my luck I'll get it as soon as I click off.

ab_grp

Good luck, ciao_yall!

Got a 2fer, finally.  Time for an unhealthy dinner and funny television.

ciao_yall

Went to the solver site and ouch, my tight 3fer was soooooooooooooooooooooooooo close.

cathwen

Good morning! 

Congratulations on the successes yesterday—QBs and 2fers.  I also got to QB!

Today:  I am at Alpha on SB and have a 2fer for LB.  Yes, I was up before dawn, as my husband had to get to commencement early.  I cannot stay in bed while he's milling around! 

LB:  I got the "official" answer, mockup-pluralize.  I was expecting mockup to be rejected as a hyphenated word (and in fact, autocorrect keeps inserting a hyphen).

Langue_doc, enjoy your outings!  And ciao_yall, we're all looking forward to hearing about that dinner party! 

ciao_yall

Gah.

Missed mamma on the SB yesterday. GAAAAAAHHHHH.

My 3fer was lam-mockup-prize so very close to the official solution. Yay I solved within 6 which was the target. Meh.

Oh well. Grading, potching and looking forward to a nice evening.

Happy solving!

ETA: Quick genius and 3fer today.

ab_grp

Good morning!

I also got the schmofficial solution and was surprised (and happy) that mockup was accepted.  Congrats on your 2fer already today and your QB yesterday, cathwen!

For the bee, I "just" have two words to go to QB.  Of course, those won't be as easy as the earlier ones, I guess.  It's nice that it's kind of a do-over puzzle.  Cathwen, you are almost there! And I totally understand not being able to stay in bed while milling around is occurring.  Hope commencement goes well.  It must be a different experience.

Sounds like you are also well on your way, ciao_yall.  I am sure the dinner party will be great!

We have to do some cleaning but will try to take it pretty easy.  Luckily, husband managed through the night for the first time horizontally and in bed.  He is doing quite a heck of a lot better.  But, I will take any excuse not to have to put too much on the agenda. ;-)

Happy solving!

cathwen

With a bit of help from Shunn for my last two words, I got to QB.  My last word was one I thought I'd tried twice—but I was at my wits' end, tried it again...and voilà.  You'll undoubtedly get there, ab_grp.  And I'm glad to hear that your husband is doing so much better! 

ab_grp

Thanks, cathwen! I did get to QB, with some help from Shunn.  Kind of ironic which word I was missing.  Congrats on your QB.  I'm glad you were able to figure it out! It often helps me to try to run through words of whatever length again just in case.  Thanks for the kind thoughts! He is pretty much off the painkillers now and just has a few days of the antibiotic left. 

Still have to get back to LB but am tuckered out from cleaning and need some lunch first.

Parasaurolophus

Made short work of today's Bee, am now closing slowly on QB.
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Yeah, Parasaurolophus! Sending good bee juju your way!