News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Made it to genius with three or four pangrams (I don't recall, exactly, but I think four).
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

Well into genius, and 2fer b4ss so I continue to underachieve.

ciao_yall

Okay, I gave up.

SB - still a few words I can't figure out from the Wordplay blog, so yay, new words.

LB - hit the solver site and there weren't too many ways to use the Z. I did have plenty of 3fers and "ships" and got pretty close to the few Z options, but alas.

Did button up one class though so yay. 3 more to go!

Langue_doc

Morning!

QB; horizontals/scam

Pangram and genius so far.

ciao_yall, if you could get a dermatologist and a laser car wash engineer to collaborate on your idea, you would be set for life.

Happy solving, all!

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - missed a new word codon. Is that a new one for the bee?

LB - The solver site didn't have many uses for the Z. Langue_doc, the solver site didn't even find horizontals! I had gotten really close to the official solution - it took schnoz and I remembered thinking "oh, if there was a u I would have schmutz.

Notable close-but-no-cigar 3fers sit-almanac-chorizos, clamors-schnoz-zit, morals-sac-chintz, trichinosis-slam-matzo, slim-matzohs-scorn and a 2fer b4ss alarmists-schnoz.

Langue_doc

I think I've seen codon before. I found the word because I mistyped. As for LB, I found horizon first, and then decided on the plural, then horizontal, and finally tried horizontals, which I didn't think was a word.

ciao_yall

Genius with pangram on SB; and a 3fer. So I have my participation trophy and "hardest tryer" sticker for the day.

Langue_doc, I had zonal at one point. It wouldn't take trizonal or zonals. So close, but yet so far.

ab_grp

Good morning!

I had horizontal-macintosh, which worked but was not as elegant as Langue_doc's solution! Definitely would not have found the schmofficial solution.  I had a bunch of other reasonable contenders that didn't work out, including chorizos and matzohs, like ciao_yall.

Only two more words to QB today, but I'm not at Alpha because it's such a short puzzle and I am missing the relatively longer words, I guess.  I think I stumbled on codon yesterday just trying stuff.

More sessions today, so I have to get to that now and hopefully puzzling here and there.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

I got the "official" solution for LB yesterday—schmaltz-zircon.  Lots of good words in that puzzle!   

I have a 2fer today, too.

I'm at Alpha this morning on SB, but the last two words are eluding me.  I'm determined to hold off on Shunn for a while! Thanks to nytbee, I do know that one word is 4 letters, and the other is 7. 

Yesterday I got codon thanks to an online course on genetics that I took a few years ago, just for fun. I stumbled on udon and remembered that I had some udon noodles in the pantry, bought eons ago for some dish that I never made.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good luck, cathwen, and congrats on Alpha! My final two are a 6 and a 7.  Maybe the same 7? Hope you find them! And congrats on your 2fer! I've been looking at it while listening to presenters but haven't had too much luck yet.

cathwen

Thanks for the good vibes, ab_grp, and they must have worked, because I just made QB without Shunn this time!  The two remaining words weren't difficult or strange—I just didn't see them.

Good luck on LB—I had a hard time with it. 

ab_grp

Yay, hooray, cathwen! Congrats on the Shunnless QB! I found the final two with Shunn's help.   The 7-letter was not difficult, but the 6... yeek.  Never heard of it, as far as I can tell.  I ended up just guessing letters.  It was also husband's final word.

I have a couple more contenders now for LB (some of which I think are pretty good!), so hopefully in the upcoming session I can work a little more on that.  Thanks for the good luck wishes! I definitely need them.

ab_grp

Well, still haven't found a LB solution.  I have found ships, and I have found a word that seems like it should be accepted and would have made for a mate for a good contender but is not accepted.  Back to the drawing board!

ciao_yall

QB! With help from Wordplay definitions. Shunn told me I was missing 2 words and when I read the wordplay definitions there was one word I would not have thought of, and one I should have gotten. So a bit anticlimactic but woohoo!

Found a 2fer using compound, prefix, and suffix. All the word tricks.

Langue_doc

Easy QB, but clunky twofer. Both words are legit, but several letters had to be reused.