News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Got to QBABM! Husband has one word left.  Good luck! My final words were rattly, loblolly.  Both of us were missing the latter, and it finally came to me later on, though we had needed help with that one.

No luck on LB, so congrats, cathwen! And again for today's!

Happy solving!

cathwen

Yippee!  Congratulations, ab_grp!  I just got to QBABM, too.  I almost caved on the last word, but then all of a sudden I saw it. 

ab_grp

Congrats, cathwen! It's hard not to give up near the end sometimes! Glad you figured it out!

I forgot to mention that Sam tweeted a day or two ago that there may be a puzzle "next week" that has the most pangrams ever.  Should be interesting, hopefully!

Parasaurolophus

GW2P and one rejected word.

And a 2fer.
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Got a nicely parsimonious 2fer!

Congrats, Parasaurolophus!

cathwen

Congratulations, Parasaurolophus and ab_grp!  I'm looking forward to comparing 2fers tomorrow.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and genius so far. Not sure if I'll have the time to chase down the remaining words.

Last words yesterday were cell and celled. Celled!? I was surprised to see it accepted as I've seen only the derived forms of this word in compounds such as unicellular. The vagaries of the bee!!!

brothel/lunacy; I prefer my solution to that of the NYT.

Happy solving, all!

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - GwP. Then a friend told me yesterday there was a second P.

LB - blunt-theocracy. Langue_doc's is the winner so far.

cathwen

Good morning!

Another day with a good bit of LB variation!  I had The NY Times solution, betrayal-luncheon.  Congratulations, Langue_doc and ciao_yall, on finding something different!

As for SB, my last word yesterday was cellule.  Today I am at Beta with five words to go.   As for today's LB, I have a 2fer.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

I'm also at Beta with 5 words left! It is a little tough today, but I hope to wake up more and have some success.  Yesterday, I finally got educe(d), deduce(d).

I had the same 2fer as Langue_doc.  It was nice to find brothel and then basically have lunacy stand out pretty obviously and just have one overlapping letter! Congrats on all the solutions! And congrats again today, cathwen!

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

For today, GwP and 2fer. Okay, back to grading...

ab_grp

We finally gave up on the last three words each and looked to Shunn for help.  Our final group of words was just about the same.

But I did finally get a 2fer!

Parasaurolophus

Blah, I'm twenty short of GWP, and nothing's presenting itself. I think that's it for today.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Pangram and well above genius. I'm glad I didn't spend time chasing down the remaining words yesterday as there were at least a couple that I wouldn't have found.

formalize/exemplary. Think of the lunacy of a brothel trying to formalize the exemplary services they provide by writing them out in detail!

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning!

Beta with two pangrams this morning.  Yesterday I gave up and looked at hints to find toboggan, boogaloo, and bologna.  Not unfamiliar words, of course—they just did not jump out at me. 

LB:  I also had formalize-exemplary.  I also have a 2fer today, but I'm not happy with the second word.  If I have time (which I probably won't), I may try for a better pair.

Happy puzzling!