News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBwG to remember ilium, olio. LB chose-equatorial and a 2fer today.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Looks like I've got 4 words left.  Pangram was my first word, but I don't think husband found it yet.  We had the reverse yesterday.  Also yesterday we needed bee buddy for two words: ilium, moonlit.

For LB I had cliche-equators.  Congrats on yours, ciao_yall, and another today!

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Afternoon!

QB--all words we've encountered in previous bees--just found the last couple of words. Last word was moonlit, which I remembered from earlier puzzles. I recall missing it at least a couple of times.

chose/equatorial, historic/calque

When I completed Connections soon after midnight, after six attempts, the entries on the last row were described as irregular past tenses, despite the two present tense verbs will and may in that list. When I reviewed the puzzle in the morning, the puzzle appeared to have been reuploaded, with the verbs described correctly as "irregular". I had to complete the puzzle all over again, which is unusual for Connections, hence my suspicion that there might have been complaints by other solvers.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

QB yesterday with moonlit as my last word. Today I am at genius with the pangram and have a way to go.

LB: I had quilt-thoraces (plural of thorax; a wild guess) and also chose-equatorial. No 2fer yet today.

As for Connections yesterday: I let out a cry of dismay when the grouping (this may not be the exact set, but it illustrates the point) Baron Karen Sharon Aaron was described as "names that rhyme." They do NOT rhyme in my dialect! Baron and Karen rhyme, as do Sharon and Aaron, but Baron/Karen do NOT rhyme with Sharon/Aaron. In Brooklyn, yes they would, though. (Probably elsewhere, too...but not where I grew up in the Mid-Atlantic region.)

Long drive over the Rockies today. Just so beautiful with the yellow aspens against the dark green conifers! And the rock formations! To top it off, I saw a bald eagle sitting in a tree by the side of the road.

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Above genius, but no pangram yet. Last words were tantra, tantara.

cathwen, that sounds like a lovely trip. I remember driving through the Rockies years ago, probably in September, so the yellow aspen sounds familiar.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got the pangram and to genius so far.  Yesterday we needed bee buddy for tantara.  Been a while, I guess.

For LB I finally got the schmofficial bishop-privatize after having the latter word most of the day.  That's a good 2fer, cathwen!

And it sounds as though you are enjoying some amazing scenery!! Do you pronounce it like an a like cave for baron and Karen and an a like bad for Sharon and Aaron? I thought that set might be a bone of contention since all of them can be pronounced slightly differently.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBwH for tantra, tantara. LB bishop-privatize.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon/evening!

QB with lots of help yesterday; last word ribbit, which I've missed before because I never think of it as a word. I also knew that I needed tantara, but couldn't remember the spelling! I had to look that up. Today I am at genius with the pangram, and will surely need help to finish.

LB: I also had bishop-privatize. No 2fer today so far.

Ab_grp, as for the pronunciations: for me, the first syllable of Sharon and Aaron rhyme with share and air. Baron/Karen rhyme with barren.

We continued our drive through the Rocky Mountains today, heading south towards Mesa Verde, which we will tour tomorrow. Every time I thought that the views couldn't get more magnificent...they did! I took zillions of pictures.

Happy puzzling! 

Langue_doc

Good morning!

QB and a twofer. Last word yesterday was nightlight.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to genius with pangram so far.  Yesterday husband got to QBABH again! I needed help with thinning.

No luck on LB!

Cathwen, I think that is the opposite of the pronunciation I guessed, but every time I say the names I say them a different way.  Weirdness.  Hope you continue to enjoy what must really be a beautiful trip! I'm glad you are taking so many pictures! It's so majestically awesome in the true sense of the word.  I don't think I've been in the specific areas you are in, but coming from the east coast and seeing this general region was really a shock.    So much space, and such incredible views!

Congrats on QB and a 2fer already, Langue_doc!

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBwSBB to remind me I forgot to enter highlight. LB hydrocarbon-nifty, fifth-hydrocarbon. Happy solving!

cathwen

Good evening!

QB yesterday with help to find thinning and tiling. QB today.

LB: No 2fer yesterday! But I have one today.

We are continuing to enjoy our trip, but at Mesa Verde the altitude was beginning to affect my husband, so although we had signed up for a tour of the pueblos, we had to back out. It would have been too strenuous for him. We still had a good visit, though.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

On the way to genius, but I do have the pangram.  We had team QB yesterday.  I needed help with bonbon, llano, and I usually get those!

No luck on LB again.

Sorry to hear about the altitude issues, cathwen.  I think altitude gets to everyone but some more than others, and it can be really surprising.  I'm glad the trip is still going well!

This morning is the mobile tire installation! Will report back.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and above genius. It's like pulling teeth today. Last word was boron.

creamed/debunking

cathwen, glad to hear that you're enjoying the trip despite the altitude snafus. ab_grp, keeping fingers crossed for the tire installation!

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QBABM yesterday! Last word anon. LB cambered-ducking. Strange 2fer today but I'm keeping it.

Happy solving!