News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Good morning!

We are up early for husband's dr appt, so I did not get quite to genius yet.  I do have the pangram! And coffee! Yesterday we had team QB.  I needed help with playlet, phyla, ethyl, payee.

No luck on LB! I had so many contenders and even recruited a helper out of desperation.  Congrats, ciao_yall! And congrats on yours today, cathwen!

Langue_doc, is this the first day of your workshop? Hope it is stimulating!

Ciao_yall, thanks for asking.  It's doing a lot better each day.  I can do most of the very important things again for self care without too much pain, which is something I am very glad for!!! For opening of hand, I can now use a scrunchie but not an elastic band.  For closing or gripping, I can hold my phone or a wine glass but not my 28 oz plastic cup for water (if it has liquid in it), maybe because of width.  I am still using the lesser stabilizer during most of the day and the stronger one at night but am trying to give it some breathing room. And it still hurts a little to touch, but not to the falling on the floor screaming extent.  So I still have no idea what happened to it, but it is doing way better!! My handwriting with my right hand ain't that great either, but I would like my left to at least look reasonable.  My husband is a lefty but was forced to learn to write with his right hand as a child (as too many are, unfortunately), so he can do both pretty well.  I am curious about how you trained yourself to use your left hand more prominently!

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Quote from: ab_grp on July 18, 2022, 06:41:06 AM
I am curious about how you trained yourself to use your left hand more prominently!

I'm not sure. As a kid I liked to be different, so I would do things left-handed just to be like the few odd lefties in my class. I have always done sports naturally left-handed so I might have been switched as a kid.

I had some carpal tunnel in my 20's on my right hand so started dividing the load between hands and still use the mouse with my left hand to this day. I'm sort of conscious of trying to use my left hand when I can just to keep things "even" if that makes sense.

Parasaurolophus

Quick GWP this morning.
I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Finally got a 2fer! Geez louise.

Ciao_yall, there is something to be said for switching it up a bit just to reduce the routine and enforce thinking.  Sometimes muscle memory fails me.  And I am so used to having everything set up for right-hand use (mouse included) that it's been a pain (har har) the past few days.  I have had some strains here and there that make it seem worthwhile to try to be more ambidextrous or at least move things around once in while.

ciao_yall

QB, needed a hint for width of all things.

LB was just 3fers. Got close with comply-yawns-sour, procurals-swampy-yawn, laywoman-croups-sol.

Onward! Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

Got to QB with 2LL hint for the last word:  wedgie.  Today I am at Beta and struggling.

LB:  I had the "official" compulsory-yawn.  I found one today as well.

Ab_grp, good luck with the healing and the attempts to be more ambidextrous!  Ciao_yall, that's interesting that you played sports left-handed.  My husband is the opposite—he is left-handed, but learned to play sports right-handed.  As for me, in spite of the fact that my father was left-handed, I am pretty strongly right-handed.  Handedness is a funny thing!

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Got to genius with pangram but am also struggling.  Yesterday we had team QB, and I needed help with tweeted, teethed, and one more I can't remember that was 5 letters, I think.

For LB, I finally got the schmofficial one as well.  I thought for sure that pulmonary would work.  Congrats on another one today, cathwen!

And thanks for the the additional good wishes! I have been with several lefties through the years, and they all did various things with their right hands.  No one that I know of in my own family (blood-related) is a lefty.  It is interesting, indeed!

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Evening!

Genius, still have to find the pangram. I had a setback because of a NYT tech snafu: the words and points that showed up on the kindle and phone were missing on my computer. I emailed customer care who promptly fixed the problem, so I didn't have to type the words all over again on the computer.

Good workshops and people so far, but I wish the temperatures were lower.

ab_grp

Finally got a 2fer!

Langue_doc, I'm glad they were able to fix it for you.  It would be a pain in the rear to have to retype.  I will wish for cooler weather for you!

I saw a tweet by Sam that makes it sounds as though the Friday bee could bee (hee hee!) a little different.  For those who don't want to click, looks like two of three are true: 5 pangrams; fewer than 40 words; an S.   https://twitter.com/thegridkid/status/1549482624573288448

Parasaurolophus

Blah, today's a bad bee day for me, I'm afraid!
I know it's a genus.

cathwen

Good morning!

Yesterday I had to go to hints (and not just letter hints) to find indica and indicia.  New words for me!  Today I am at Beta with the pangram, which took me a good while to find.  I am now struggling.

LB:  I had the "official" quirks-stabilize, which sounds as though it applies to Langue_doc's situation yesterday with the Bee!  I have a 2fer today as well.

Ab_grp, I also saw Sam's tweet as well about Friday's Bee.  I'm guessing that the S is the one that is not true.  But we'll see!  Fewer than 40 words is plausible, but 5 pangrams seems a stretch.  Still, he has always resisted putting S in the Bee.

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

QBwH, new word indicia. LB quirks-stabilize.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Got to genius with the pangram so far.  Yesterday we were both missing cicada, minyan.  The latter was hard to figure out even with Shunn and then hints from the community until I remembered it, finally! I didn't want to look it up by definition.

I also got the schmofficial 2fer.  Congrats on another today, cathwen!

As for Sam's hint, I was going to guess that it will be 5 pangrams and an S.  Thinking about the possibilities in pairs, I figure it would be less likely to have an S and fewer than 40 words, and it may also be less likely to have 5 pangrams and fewer than 40 words.  I would be surprised at an S, though.  He did offer some bee swag if anyone could actually guess the hive!

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Afternoon!

Pangram and above genius. This is all the puzzling for today.

Happy solving!

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.