News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

They wouldn't take ginko today which is, I think, a rather common type of tree. In fact, I can identify a ginko but not an acacia.

ab_grp

ciao_yall

Quote from: ab_grp on March 27, 2021, 06:14:53 PM
Check the spelling...

Woohoo!

Still just a genius.

Listened to the podcast - it was fun listening to Sam Ezersky. The hosts weren't all that interesting.

Langue_doc

Think of a pig (2 words); think of words for head.

Parasaurolophus

I finally hit genius. That was a toughie!
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Difficult bee today, even though the words so far are all familiar ones. Made it to genius with one pangram. Given the number of points for genius, there's probably another pangram.

LB: mantras/sexploit. Pleonasm?!

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - missed enoki, kook (thought I tried that?), neon, ogee, and ogive. A new word - whaddaya know.

LB - tramp-pixelations. Great 2fer with trampoline-exist, b4ss, alas. And another new word: pleonasm.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Sorry for that really quick post last night, but I was on my phone.  I initially spelled ginkgo wrong too, so I wanted to make sure you didn't miss the points and satisfaction, ciao_yall! Also, I agree with you that Sam was fun to listen to, but the podcast hosts... not so much.  I wouldn't add this to my too-long podcast rotation, though I will keep an eye on it for other helpful episodes.

For LB I got EXPLOIT-TRANSOM.  Different solutions! I got matrix but would never, never have gotten pleonasm.  What!

For bee yesterday, I got to QB, but I knew what the final word started with, so that doesn't really count.  Just got up today but not to genius yet, have to do coffee and crossword first.  It does seem as though there might be another pangram, pointswise.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Quote from: ciao_yall on March 28, 2021, 08:03:27 AM
Morning!

SB - missed enoki, kook (thought I tried that?), neon, ogee, and ogive. A new word - whaddaya know[/b].

LB - tramp-pixelations. Great 2fer with trampoline-exist, b4ss, alas. And another new word: pleonasm.

Happy solving!

O(h) give me a home...

(couldn't resist)

cathwen

Good morning, and congratulations on making QB yesterday, ab_grp!  I got to Beta, finally, but missed eggnog, enoki, and ogive..

Today's SB has 268 points, 65 words, but only one pangram!  I'm at Beta/216, but running out of steam.  As Langue_doc says, the words are familiar so far, but there are just so many of them!  Ugh! 

Yesterday's LB is yielding all kinds of different solutions, so here's mine:  implantations-sexier.

I have a solution for today's LB, but it took a bit of time to find it.  I'm not 100% satisfied with the second word, but LB accepted it, so I won't complain.

ab_grp

I'm also still stuck at Beta now (222).  I had to go back and find some four-letter ones that I had missed, but they are not getting me anywhere quickly.  And only one pangram? Yeek!

Congrats on your 2fer today, cathwen, and on yet another solution to yesterday's!

Parasaurolophus

LB was ample-expirations for me.
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

Just tipped into genius this morning - what a slog! And a messy 2fer, along with a 2fer b4ss so have completed my morning.

ab_grp

Congrats on another different LB solution from yesterday, Parasaurolophus!

And congrats on your 2fer and 2fer b4ss today, ciao_yall!

I got a 2fer that seems pretty normal and actually uses one of my recent contenders, so it's great to be able to capitalize on previous lists.

Still not at Alpha!

ab_grp

Update: got to Alpha (247) and decided to compare hashes.   I was missing two words starting with a particular letter, found one.  He's missing three that I have, and then I think we are both missing the final word.  Whew, what a puzzle.  I am fine with Alpha! Not sure if I will get the remaining ones, but I will work on it later.  Gotta Duolingo and get the new sudokus out of the way when they come out.