News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathwen

Congratulations on QB, ab_grp!

I'm at genius on SB, but no solution for LB yet.  So close, though!  I got my grandson involved in LB for a while this morning, and he really got into it—together we got a 3-fer! 

Yesterday I had boxcar, but did not figure out ragequit.  When I exclaimed over it this morning, my son-in-law—who is really into gaming—said that ragequit is a real word for players who are on the verge of losing but quit before they get there.  They then get banned if the game is a serious one.  I am not into gaming myself, so this was a revelation.

Langue_doc, I saw that NYT article!  Ha!

Have fun, everyone!  Not sure whether I'll get back to the puzzles or not.  Now I'm off to make some ricotta cheese for our lasagna tonight

ab_grp

Thanks, and enjoy that homemade ricotta and lasagna, cathwen! Sounds quite delicious.

I couldn't recall what exactly ragequit meant, and neither could husband, so thanks for the explanation.  I have no idea about gaming.  We just thought recalled it having been a crossword somewhat recently. 

That's funny about the NYT food email! Although I am wondering how he does on the bee given that take.  I've been deleting those emails recently without reading them due to the volume I get, but maybe I should start reading them more carefully!

Langue_doc

I have no idea how riffing one's way to dinner with a no-recipe recipe is the equivalent of SB.

Two-fer, but with a stranded l.

ab_grp

Quote from: Langue_doc on April 21, 2021, 03:08:30 PM
I have no idea how riffing one's way to dinner with a no-recipe recipe is the equivalent of SB.

Two-fer, but with a stranded l.

That's what I thought, Langue_doc! Like, does he just randomly guess letters, or start with a word in mind whether or not the letters are in the puzzle and just see where he gets from there? I wonder if he got any emails about that from bee lovers.

Good luck with getting a 2fer! I finally let go of my favorite contender for now and am trying to get some others, but I still feel like I want that one to work.  Grrr.

Parasaurolophus

Made it to genius and one pangram today. Phew.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Stuck at almost genius, no pangram yet.

But surprise, surprise, got a two-fer.

Happy solving, all.

ab_grp

Good morning!

Wow, never would have gotten the LB solution yesterday.  I was sure flashlight might work, and then I thought lungfish would also be a possibility.  Congrats on your 2fer today, Langue_doc!

Just got up and around, so not much progress on the bee yet.  I did find a pangram.  First some coffee and a Thursday crossword.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Huh. Yesterday I had a 2fer b4ss which was jihadi-insightful. One of my 3fers was haji-insightful-lad and I wasin't even sure what a haji was but since it usually takes haj I figured I would try it.

Did any of us get the 2fer yesterday?

Okay, starting this morning's puzzles. Will report back.

cathwen

Good morning!

No, I didn't get the 2fer yesterday, either.  It was a toughie! 

I have a solution today, though. 

As for SB, I did make genius yesterday, but didn't get much beyond that.  Today I'm at genius, but no pangram. 

My daughter & family just left for home—so now I am behind in my work, and must spend the day catching up.  It was worth it to see them, though!  I'll peek in on SB from time to time—but I have a feeling this is not going to be a QB day, and maybe not even a Beta day. 

ab_grp

Got to QB! There were a couple I missed in previous puzzles that I remembered this time, but I don't recall any really obscure words.  Good luck!

Ciao_yall, you were so close yesterday! I hope you have better luck today. 

Cathwen, glad to see you! I hope your visit was great and that catching up on work goes smoothly.  Congrats on your 2fer!

Langue_doc

Congrats on your QB, ab_grp. I made it to genius and above, but haven't found the pangram.

Yesterday, I found a couple of words with one dangling letter. Then I found adjusting/ghastful. Needless to say, the latter wasn't accepted by LB, but I overrode their decision and decided that I had found a twofer. This morning, after seeing the "solution" I decided that my "word" was much better as it was more intuitive than that of the NYT. So, in response to ciao_yall, I did get a twofer.

cathwen, glad that you had a good visit with your family. Like you, I'm behind at work, but unlike you, don't have any excuses, good or otherwise. I'll probably not get to QB today.

ab_grp

I support your 2fer yesterday, Langue_doc! There are plenty of words they don't seem to accept in LB.  I think ghastful is a good "word".  Congrats! As far as the pangram goes, let me know if you need or want a hint.

I forgot that I have a long conference call this afternoon, but I will be trying to work on LB during it.  A couple contenders so far.

Langue_doc

I'll send you a PM after 8 if I'm still stuck, ab_grp. I can also send you a hint for LB if you haven't found a solution by then.

ab_grp

Thanks! I might have to send a preemptive PM for you not to look at unless you want to, because I am generally not around my computer that late unless it's trivia season.  I will hold off until I log off, though! It's just hard for me to see the web interface on my phone well enough to type stuff correctly (but is not as bad to read).  I usually head off around 7:30 (sometimes closer to 7:45) your time.  The conference call ended up being a lot more interesting than I had planned for, so I didn't get a chance to look at LB during it but will give it some time now.

ciao_yall

Genius no pangram.

3fers, ships and plugs abound, but no 2fer.

Sign me up for the hints!