News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Thanks to ab_grp I learned about a new word that is a compound, and Langue_doc for tipping me over the edge. I was piled up in plugs.

Parasaurolophus

Today was a no-go for me. Marking fried my brain, I think.
I know it's a genus.

cathwen

Good morning!

Congratulations on QB, ab_grp!  I got to Beta.  If I had sat here from now until Doomsday, I would never have found bootee or eyebolt. 

My LB solution yesterday was weird (again).  I had halfsies-strown, an archaic version of strewn.  I had meant to go back and find a better 2fer, but just didn't have time.  LB is so strange—sometimes it accepts archaic words, other times not. 

Today:  SB is at amazing with the pangram, and I have a 2fer for LB that involves normal words.

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Didn't get to complete the bee as I was distracted by the crosswords. Haven't looked at the solutions yet. Thanks, ab_grp, for the hints.

Today, genius and a pangram.

LB: airflows/shorten

Happy solving, all!

ciao_yall

Morning! I did get eyebolt yesterday but not much more after genius.

cathwen I think you win at the coolest LB finds: emoji, halfsies, etc. Meanwhile I'm trying to find matches for horniest.

Had to restart the gizmo so haven't started puzzles yet. Will check in throughout the day.

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got a 2fer thanks to Langue_doc! I have no idea what the official solution word hawthorn is so will look that up.  Congrats to cathwen on a totally different 2fer (agreed, more interesting than the schmofficial one)! I was not really on track for any of the three solutions we've seen.  I was pretty close with wharfs and sentinel bur had an O out of place.  I think I had ships with finales and throw but couldn't connect them.

Got to near Alpha today (187), but I am struggling.  I barely got to genius and then got stuck for a while and got some more words, so I hope another flow of words comes at some point.  Some old "favorites" in there today.

Yesterday's did have some dumb words in it like bootee, which I remembered because I didn't like it in the past.  I guessed eyebolt.  I think my final one was poppet.  Oh yeah, I think two days ago my final one was abbacy, which I also didn't know was a word.

Happy solving!

ETA: Meant to say congrats on the 2fer today, cathwen!

Langue_doc

Quote from: ab_grp on April 23, 2021, 09:02:46 AM
Good morning!

I have no idea what the official solution word hawthorn is so will look that up.

It's a bush or shrub that appears frequently in British literature. I've always associated it with Shakespeare and was therefore pleasantly surprised when the trip leader on one of the hikes or bird trips a few years ago drew our attention to hawthorn bushes along the paths in one of the state parks. Until then, I didn't realize that the plant could be found in the US

ab_grp

Thanks for the explanation, Langue_doc! I had looked it up and had seen what sort of entity it was, but I didn't know there was a Shakespeare connection.  And I think today is the anniversary of his death, so almost perfectly timely. 

I edged just into Alpha (197) but still have three reasonably long words left.  And another call this afternoon.  A couple LB contenders, but not much going on there, yet.

ciao_yall

TFW...

You're at amazing. You find the pangram. And you are still at amazing.

ciao_yall

Langue_doc

Plenty of difficult words today. I remembered some unfamiliar ones from previous puzzles. There's the long word with only c's and l's for consonants.

Got a twofer!

I have a crack-of-dawn drive to an outing tomorrow, so won't be spending much time on the puzzles today or tomorrow. The outing won't be strenuous, but I have to budget two hours on the way out and probably 2-3 for the return trip.

Have fun with your dinner, ciao_yall. I'll send you and ab_grp the LB hints later tonight, just in case you're still looking for a twofer.

ab_grp

Did you get QB then, Langue_doc? If so, congrats! I got an impure one, had to narrow down the final two words.  Oh well.  Sadly, I got the harder words from previous puzzles and missed two I probably should  have found.

Have fun on your outing! Strenuous or not, that kind of travel time and a drive at that time can take it out of you.  I hope you get to come back and relax.  And thanks for hints! I will post if I do get it at some point, but I am always happy to get the PM.  Congrats on your 2fer!

Still have to finish hard sudoku and do Duolingos, but call is done and lunch has been eaten.

Langue_doc

Nowhere near QB, alas!

ciao_yall

Hints for LB welcome... soooooo close!

Parasaurolophus

I don't think I have it in me today to slog through the finish for SB today.
I know it's a genus.