News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Thanks, Langue_doc! I actually ended up getting to QBABM, but those words were my final two non-4s, so you were spot on.  That pangram was tricky and ended up being husband's final word.  In retrospect, I should have gotten it sooner.  I got one of the anatomy words to finally get to GN4L (almost gave up before that!), got the 4s, and then figured out the other one.  Whew!! Did you get to QB?

And thanks, ciao_yall! Good luck with it!

ciao_yall

Finally, with definitions and guessing hit QB. One word I thought was hyphenated, the other is completely new to me. And a few reminders...

Langue_doc

Pangram and above 200. That's it for today--seems like too much effort for another slew of words.

QB yesterday; found the anatomical words because I was trying to diagnose and treat a muscle spasm.

warmth/hovering. Tried all day to find a mate for growth and a few other words that seemed promising.

Happy solving, all!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QB - Always thought multilevel was hyphenated, and I did try many combinations of multi. And now I know what an ileum is. 2 pangrams and Amazing N4L, helps that I am starting to remember those odd bee specials.

LB - whomever-rationing. Haven't looked at it yet today.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning! 

QB yesterday, but with a bit of help.  I had ilium, but not ileum!  And in spite of knowing French, I missed milieu and lieu (which I've gotten before).  Wordplay hints helped put me over the finish line.

Today's SB stands at Beta with both pangrams.  This is surely going to be a Shunn day, but I'll hang in there a bit longer.  I know that I get impatient and give in too soon.

LB:  Yesterday I had overgrowth-hitman.  And I have found two 2fers today!  (The second one is a variation on the first.).

Happy puzzling, everyone!

ciao_yall

GN4L and 2 pangrams. Yeah, I think I will need Shunn and Wordplay but holding off.

4fers but not even a 3fer yet!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

I got to QBABM, so try to hold off and good luck! Made it to GN4L as well.  Definitely an easier one for that than yesterday.  Those ilium, ileum words took a while.  Sorry to hear for the reason they came to mind, Langue_doc!

For LB, I got amino-overgrowth.  Lots of solutions here, and none the schmofficial one?  And wow... congrats on two 2fers today, cathwen!

I meant to ask if anyone still looks at nytbee.com before Shunn? Yesterday I swear it wasn't loading the new puzzle info, so we used the top of Shunn for the total words, pangrams, points.  Seems to be working today, though.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Quote from: ab_grp on August 13, 2021, 10:27:04 AM

I meant to ask if anyone still looks at nytbee.com before Shunn? Yesterday I swear it wasn't loading the new puzzle info, so we used the top of Shunn for the total words, pangrams, points.  Seems to be working today, though.

I look at nytbee after getting to genius to see how many more words I need and the word-length information. I've never looked at Shunn.

They are now asking for donations. Until yesterday, when they first asked for donations I had assumed that this was a NYT site.

ab_grp

That makes sense, Langue_doc.  We usually look at it when we start the bee in earnest to see what we should be aiming for.  Now it helps so I can tell if it is mathematically possible to get to GN4L (and how hard that might be to do).  Thanks for pointing out the donate button! And I see they mention that the site is occasionally down when they are not home to fix issues.  So that might explain yesterday.  Shunn also asks for donations.  And I think you must be the QB of all the QBs having never looked at Shunn! That is an impressive accomplishment.

I got a 2fer on my first try!

ciao_yall

Finally QB. Was at QB-5 and hit the definitions for a few reminders and a new word.

Also got a 2fer. Never did get a 3fer, but plenty of 5fers and 4fers.

cathwen

Good morning!

Congratulations on the QBs and 2fers!

I reached QB yesterday with help from Wordplay for two final hints.  Biennia was my last word, which I only got after the hint to remove a final letter from one of the BI-8 words.  Otherwise, it would never have occurred to me.

Today I have reached genius with one of the three pangrams.  It's a sloggy one today (342 maximum)! 

As for LB, I had the "official" vulcanized-dock, but I also had vulcanize-evoked.  I found a 2fer today as well.

Langue_doc, you certainly are the QB Queen if you have never looked at Shunn!  That is truly impressive. 

I usually get to genius on my own, then look at nytbee.com to see what the maximum points are, and the number of pangrams.  The list of common words is sometimes helpful, but the list of excluded words sometimes more so, as they sometimes list variant spellings of words I haven't thought of yet, but are possible.  After that, when I get impatient, I look at Shunn or Wordplay (which has Shunn info at the top).  I look at Wordplay hints only after getting very frustrated, which sometimes does not take long.

Happy puzzling! 

ciao_yall

Morning!

QB with hints, also got hung up on biennia and needed a few other reminders: inalienable, biennial, plus a few headsmakers linen, innie. Langue_doc, you hit QB without Shunn? Wow.

LB - vulcanized-dock. Do people even use that word any more? Especially since now most rubber is synthetic... Oh well.

Not started yet on today's puzzles but will check in later.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Didn't make much progress yesterday on any of the puzzles yesterday, including today's crossword.

Shunn sounds like a lot of work. I do have to check to make sure that I have the requisite number of 4, 5, 6, 7 (and so on) words which takes up considerable time. Once you remember the bee words the rest isn't too difficult. The kindle misses words that I've typed, so invariably I find one or two when I go over the words on the computer. I think working from home and the long summer helped get to QB. Things are going to be quite different all too soon.

Stuck at amazing. My eyes are having problems, so I'm not going to be spending much time on electronic devices until I see the eye surgeon.

Happy solving, all!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Managed to get to GN4L and just made it to Alpha with the three pangrams, but still 5 words left to QB and no ideas at the moment.  We might compare our first letter totals next break.  The crossword seemed to take a while despite folks in the blog saying it was a quick one for them!

I had the schmofficial solution as well yesterday.  Congrats on already getting a 2fer today, cathwen, and for your additional solution!

Langue_doc, I hope your eyes are okay and good that you rest them.  Hope you can talk to or see your eye surgeon soon about it.

We're trying to get groceries while avoiding the seemingly nonstop rain.  Yuck.  We need it, but it still makes some things a little less appealing.  Gotta get the sudokus done by 4.

Happy solving!

Parasaurolophus

Have found all three pangrams but am 5 points short of genius.
I know it's a genus.