Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

Hurrah, Parasaurolophus!!

We haven't gotten back to the bee yet, and no luck on LB (though a bunch of contenders).  And still stuck on hard sudoku.  Eek.

ab_grp

Well, we each got down to the same word based on points.  He ran his program and gave me a hint, so technically a very, very impure QB for me.  I don't know that we would have gotten it, though.  Even though I do know that word but think there's another one in there I don't know the definition of that might have been in there before.  Good luck!

Still no LB luck despite some good contenders.  Will keep at it.

ciao_yall

GN4L and only one pangram so far. Grid isn't much help.

LB - sounds like I'm in good company - contenders and 3fers but no 2fer yet.

I would like to check the Wordplay blog but I don't want to trip over the 2fer solution.

ETA Okay I caved. Hit the dictionary for help with the Wordplay definitions and learned 2 new words, plus a few more I had overlooked. Then hit the Letterboxed solver for a nudge and solved it.

Now I can drink wine and do the WSJ crossword puzzle, which I put off to do a hike around the City. My life is so exciting.

ab_grp

Finally got a 2fer!

Enjoy your wine and crossword, ciao_yall!

ciao_yall

Morning!

QB - new words were dace, dodecagon. Plus a few I had overlooked. Today, GN4L and pangram. Schlepping to QB.

LB - With a nudge from the solver site got polygamists-. Had plenty of good 3fers polyglots-swarm-mist, plagiarism-misty-yow, swamp-pog-gristly. Today, already have a 3fer.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

I have three more words to QB, still not at Alpha, but did make it to GN4L.  Husband got QBABH.  I am at a loss but hope sudokus can help.

For LB yesterday, I finally came up with warp-polygamist.  Felt pretty dumb after having polygamy all day and trying -ism with it but not -ist until much later.  Congrats on already getting a 2fer today, ciao_yall!

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Quote from: ab_grp on August 15, 2021, 10:24:47 AM
Good morning/afternoon!

I have three more words to QB, still not at Alpha, but did make it to GN4L.  Husband got QBABH.  I am at a loss but hope sudokus can help.

For LB yesterday, I finally came up with warp-polygamist.  Felt pretty dumb after having polygamy all day and trying -ism with it but not -ist until much later.  Congrats on already getting a 2fer today, ciao_yall!

Happy solving!

Just a 3fer so far... but enjoying your confidence in me!

ETA:
And 2fer b4ss

ab_grp

Oops, sorry! I guess the coffee hadn't really kicked in or... something! I am seeing the future, I'm sure.  You will earn that early congrats!

I finally decided to get some first letter totals from husband and managed to get all but the final word.  Argh! And I'm stuck on the hard sudoku.  And no luck on LB yet despite some contenders.  I hope some puzzle mojo kicks in soon.

cathwen

Good afternoon!

Congratulations on the QBs and QBs-to-be, as well as the 2fers!

I got to QB today, but had to go to Shunn for the first letter of the last word. 

Yesterday I also got to QB, albeit WATHICG.  Oddly, my last word was cognacDace was a wild guess, as I needed a four-letter word beginning with D.  It just points to my paucity of ichthyological knowledge.

As for LB, I also had warp-polygamist yesterday.  I have not yet found a 2fer today, and doubt that I'll have much more time to look for one—we're going to see "Respect" (the movie about Aretha Franklin) soon.  I hope everyone has better luck than I'm having with today's arrangement of letters!

Langue_doc

Afternoon!

I doubt I would have found the two d-initial pangrams however hard I tried, so I'm glad I didn't spend much time on the puzzles yesterday.

The crossword is giving me grief as there seems to be an oddball letter somewhere.

I think I got to well above genius with the pangram this morning. Still resting my eyes.

I had signed up for a shorebird festival for yesterday, but the high temperature (for being outside) and the threat of thunderstorms kept me at home. Temperatures are going down so I might sign up for other events.

As of tomorrow, soon after 9 AM I will be hitting the books/computer, to get ready for Fall. Sign-up for upcoming trips starts at 9. I have to call the doctor's office as well to see if they can move next Monday's appointment to this week.

ab_grp

Dace was my final 4-letter yesterday and the one that I think has been in there before but I had no idea what it mean.  Same here, I just knew it started with a D and worked from there.  Might have been my final word, actually.  And we have gotten lucky with pangrams the past few days being in our educational wheelhouses!

Cathwen, hope you enjoy the movie! I haven't heard anything about it but love the topic!

Langue_doc, sorry you didn't get out on your trip yesterday, but I hope some others come along and that class prep doesn't interfere too much.  And I hope that your doctor can see you earlier than planned.  Good luck with the crossword! Usually I just find Sundays to be long but not really difficult, but this morning I felt like I could barely fill anything in for a while.  Finally figured out the theme but then was stuck in the top middle part.  Ugh! I hope you find your typo!

Had to get husband to give me another clue for my final word.  Oh well.  Still no luck on LB and still stuck on hard sudoku with under an hour to go.

Langue_doc

Found the mistake, ab_grp. I had "as a" for "like" in the SW corner. Good luck with the sudoku.

ab_grp

A ha! Those kinds are tough to find.  Using the list format rather than grid format for trying to find errors often ends up helping me (especially for checking the down answers), but especially in a big old Sunday puzzle it can take a while.  I'm glad you got it figured out!  And thanks! I am making tiny inroads here and there, ruling out possibilities, but the clock is ticking.

ETA:  Whew! Finished hard sudoku just in time.  Thanks for the luck, Langue_doc.  It helped! I had to choose between two numbers for a cell and hadn't gotten anywhere solid with that previously, but this time around I figured out where a conflict would occur.  Gotta follow the right trail, I guess.  It's just hard to keep all the if-this-then-that in my head.  Sometimes I print them, but I thought I'd try to tough it out this time until the deadline and then do so if needed.

ciao_yall

QB WATHICG. Needed definitions/reminders for 3 "bee specials" and 2 reminders.

And after finding 2fer b4ss all day, finally indulged the Wordplay blog for a 2fer. Not sure I would have gotten there on my own but hey...