News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - So, pretty much all words I would have known to get QBABM. But I stopped after Genius with both pangrams and went on to other things. So I'm trying to understand my brain. Like, I tried cuit wondering if it would take a French word, but didn't see circuit. What's up with that? I probably would have missed inurn, to be fair, because it's a bit of a "Bee Special."

LB - No 2fers. Plenty of 3fers including carmelized-dive-epode, arc-civilized-diploma.

Happy solving!

ETA: Gw/oP and messy 2fer.

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Made it to GN4L and pangram but not Alpha yet.  My final word was inurn

That was another tough LB, in my opinion.  Yikes! I also tried a bunch of things like polemicized and some others that seemed like promising LB solution words and that used up a lot of letters.  Didn't end up seeing either of the schmofficial components, though my brain seems to have an aversion to -dom words.  Congrats on getting 2fers today, cathwen and ciao_yall!

I was a little surprised at one of the crossword entries today.  Seems a wee bit risque.  Also surprised not to see a lot of comments about that (yet?).

Hopefully a less busy day!

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

I was annoyed that urticaria wasn't accepted yesterday, considering that tali, tori and torii make it to the bee on a regular basis.

I was a little surprised at one of the crossword entries today.  Seems a wee bit risque.

Which one? Inquiring minds want to know. I completed the crossword last night, so don't recall the clues.

ab_grp

Quote from: Langue_doc on October 27, 2021, 09:35:25 AM
I was annoyed that urticaria wasn't accepted yesterday, considering that tali, tori and torii make it to the bee on a regular basis.

I was a little surprised at one of the crossword entries today.  Seems a wee bit risque.

Which one? Inquiring minds want to know. I completed the crossword last night, so don't recall the clues.

I forgot about urticaria this time! As for the crossword, it was 24A.  Thinking of that skit and the connotations... well, I was just surprised given all the things people comment about being offended about.  Have you seen that one?

Langue_doc

Thanks, ab_grp. There have been far more suggestive phrases in recent crosswords.

I just looked at the comments and was aghast at seeing the solutions posted without any monitoring by NYT.

Two-fer!

ab_grp

I think it's a funny sketch, but given what people get all rang up about it just seemed surprising.  I guess some groups are up about it, because Rex P tweeted about not seeing why it was so offensive.  Congrats on your 2fer! I am down to one more word until QB, still hopeful.

ciao_yall

ab_grp

No one can resist them!

Finally got to QBABM.  There were a couple bee words in there, but I actually got them earlier.  Good luck!

Onto LB and hopefully some success there...

Langue_doc

Congrats!

I got the bee words earlier today. Still grading, so no more bee words today. Woke (misguided) student keeps referring to a female character as "they/them" which makes for hilarious reading.

ab_grp

Got a 2fer!

That is an interesting situation in which to use those pronouns, Langue_doc.  I guess the student is trying to be as careful as possible?

ciao_yall

Found the pangram. Strange one indeed.

onthefringe

Yesterday's LB— czardom? really? I got annoyed and basically gave up when it wouldn't take paleozoic. But I did find one today. Congrats to cathwen, ciao_yall and Langue_doc for 2fers today.

OneMoreYear

Agreed, weird pangram.
A quick 2fer--found a match for the first word I saw. I wonder if this means there are a lot of solutions or if there will be one solution that sticks out for everyone.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and genius.

formulaic/county

Meetings aplenty, so other than completing the crossword, no more puzzling today.

ab_grp, Stu was trying to use non-sexist language.

Happy solving, all!

ciao_yall

Morning!

SB - it took metalhead but not helmethead or hathead. Hm.

LB - lunatic-conformity.

Happy solving!

ETA: GWP and 3fer.