News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

I have two words left to QB but am at Alpha.  Hoping for inspiration.  Numbat was our final word that required assistance, and unban was right behind it for me.

I have another 2fer to contribute: manpower-rustier.  Lots of solutions yesterday!

Hopefully you can stay inside and cozy and enjoy the snow from a distance, cathwen!

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

2fer today. A word I didn't think would take but did. Woohoo.

ab_grp

Congrats, ciao_yall! I also got a 2fer and was surprised about one word.  I had a really long contender that I haven't been able to make work yet (?), so I'll take this one!

We gave up on our final 2 or 3 words and got some help and finished the bee.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and genius so far. Last word yesterday was the obviously difficult one; I had to decide whether I needed several four-letter words and a longer one or just one long word, but fortunately remembered seeing this word (don't recall where) in the last few days.

forums/scraping

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning!

QBABM this morning, against all expectations! 

Yesterday my last word was orotund.  I needed a hint to find it.

LB yesterday was confusing-gramps, so already we have some variety.  No 2fer yet today, though!  It's a toughie.

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Morning!

GwP, then hit the 2LL where the second P, nonconductor popped out at me. '

LB - confusing-gramp. I first tried confusing-grampa which didn't take, so for the heck of it dropped the a.

Brief road trip this weekend so might not be able to check in after this.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Congrats on your QBABY, cathwen! Husband and I each have two words left to QB but got to Alpha.  Not sure if they are the same two words, though they are the same lengths.  It took me a while to get to GN4L today.  Yesterday my final two were rotund, orotund.  I don't think I have heard of the latter.  And it took me a while to find the second (longer) pangram because I tend to avoid those prefixes until the end since they are so inconsistent. 

For LB, I had a slightly different one: forums-scamping.  I did not think the latter of these was a word, either.  I had uncompromising, which only left two letters, but I couldn't get anything to work so had to abandon it.

I hope you break out of your lull, Parasaurolophus!

And hope you have a good and safe road trip, ciao_yall.

Happy solving!

Parasaurolophus

Not today, I'm afraid. I probably could, but it was a shitty day and I don't have the heart for it.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and genius; last word yesterday was pawpaw--found the variant much earlier.

Crosswords and sudokus were done last night.

Happy solving, all!

cathwen

Good morning!

I'm on an LB losing streak.  No 2fer yesterday.  I had parquet, but did not see twofold.  And so far, no 2fer today, either.  Argh!

As for SB, my last word was papaw, which I tried after entering pawpaw, having dimly remembered the alternate spelling.  I had gotten pawl earlier, more or less by accident.

Today I am at genius with pangram, with only five words to go, but just not seeing anything, hoping for inspiration.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Husband and I each have one word left of different lengths, so team QB, at least.  Yesterday peewee, pewee were my last ones with assistance.  I managed to remember pawpaw, papaw earlier and guessed pawl.

Argh, LB! I had more than a page of contenders, including parquet, folder but couldn't get the solution.  There goes the 2022 streak, but I did try mightily! Hopefully we will have better luck today all around.

Got the crossword done and have my hard sudoku to do, with a call with a pal and some Duo in the afternoon.

Happy solving!

monarda

Have you all heard about wordle? I just learned of it yesterday. https://www.powerlanguage.co.uk/wordle/
It's a very quick puzzle to add to the daily word puzzle routine.

ab_grp

Quote from: monarda on January 09, 2022, 09:59:58 AM
Have you all heard about wordle? I just learned of it yesterday. https://www.powerlanguage.co.uk/wordle/
It's a very quick puzzle to add to the daily word puzzle routine.

Yes, it kept coming across my Twitter feed, and then I think was mentioned here a few pages ago.  It is really fun and quick! There is an app (not for the original game but a similar one) that allows you to play more than once per day, though I appreciate the original designer intending it to leave people wanting more like the spelling bee does.  I would be so interested to get the data on which words people try, how often they get it in one, two, three tries, etc., how many tries for each specific word, and so forth.  I have not yet managed to get it in 2, but I have gotten better at getting it in three.  How have you fared with it?

Speaking of the bee, husband got to QBABH, and I gave up on my final word and got his assistance for it.  Oh well, not enough time today!

ciao_yall

Hola!

SB - GwP yesterday and today.

LB - yesterday just a 2fer b4ss quadruplet-twofer but I have a 2fer today.

Back to the routine Monday!