News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Post For Stuff You Wanna Tell People

Started by Parasaurolophus, May 17, 2019, 10:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: FishProf on February 26, 2021, 03:44:37 AM
Isn't it more likely that they are NOT teaching 20+ sections each semester?

I certainly can't imagine doing even an adequate job of it.
I know it's a genus.

cathwen

Quote from: Harlow2 on February 26, 2021, 06:11:13 AM
Quote from: wareagle on February 19, 2021, 12:08:53 PM
Quote from: mamselle on February 17, 2021, 04:28:55 PM
I just found this skating couple and I'm in awe...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOCuxsRnVTQ

Of course, sounds like they're retiring/retired now, but....wow.

M.

+1, just.......wow.  Incredible.  Thanks so much for sharing the link.

What a lovely way to begin the morning!

Breathtaking! 

ergative

So: If you want to write a row from a dataframe to an output file, updating with a new line each time an iteration in your simulation has finished running, the following commands do not work:

write(dataframeline, ncol=17, sep=',', append=TRUE) Nope! This apparently assuems that all your data is numerical, and if there is any character text, such as VITALLY IMPORTANT LABELS FOR WHICH SIMULATION JUST FINISHED, it will write them out as '1'. Of course, this only applies to the version of R on my university's computing cluster, not the version on my computer. So all my local test runs of the script were great, but the real runs are spitting out unusable data.

write.csv(dataframeline, sep=',', append=TRUE, row.names=FALSE, col.names=FALSE) NOpe! Despite the argument 'append=TRUE', write.csv() blithely ignores it, and just overwrites the results file with the new line of the dataframe each time.

write.table(dataframeline, sep=',', append-TRUE, row.names=FALSE, col.names=FALSE) That's the winner! Only took me two weeks to land upon this, and it will be another few days before I'll start seeing what the actual simulation data looks like, which means I won't know for sure that this worked properly until Friday at the earliest.

Arrgh.

marshwiggle

Quote from: ergative on March 17, 2021, 05:14:24 AM
So: If you want to write a row from a dataframe to an output file, updating with a new line each time an iteration in your simulation has finished running, the following commands do not work:

write(dataframeline, ncol=17, sep=',', append=TRUE) Nope! This apparently assuems that all your data is numerical, and if there is any character text, such as VITALLY IMPORTANT LABELS FOR WHICH SIMULATION JUST FINISHED, it will write them out as '1'. Of course, this only applies to the version of R on my university's computing cluster, not the version on my computer. So all my local test runs of the script were great, but the real runs are spitting out unusable data.

write.csv(dataframeline, sep=',', append=TRUE, row.names=FALSE, col.names=FALSE) NOpe! Despite the argument 'append=TRUE', write.csv() blithely ignores it, and just overwrites the results file with the new line of the dataframe each time.

write.table(dataframeline, sep=',', append-TRUE, row.names=FALSE, col.names=FALSE) That's the winner! Only took me two weeks to land upon this, and it will be another few days before I'll start seeing what the actual simulation data looks like, which means I won't know for sure that this worked properly until Friday at the earliest.

Arrgh.

Gotta love those poorly-documented features in software. 'Cause what else were you going to spend your time on?
It takes so little to be above average.

ab_grp

R is great for a lot of things and is very versatile, but I absolutely hate it for data management.  I'm sure the R gurus can keep up with the different functions and their particulars, but I feel as though I constantly have to write out to some format, then convert it to another format, read it in in some format, convert it again, etc.

ergative

Quote from: ab_grp on March 17, 2021, 08:15:59 AM
R is great for a lot of things and is very versatile, but I absolutely hate it for data management.  I'm sure the R gurus can keep up with the different functions and their particulars, but I feel as though I constantly have to write out to some format, then convert it to another format, read it in in some format, convert it again, etc.

Hard same. I learned Perl--and later Python--simply because I had data in a form that wouldn't work with R, and I had to convert it.

Parasaurolophus

The hatchling hatched this morning at 00h33. It was a very difficult hatching, but ended well.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on March 18, 2021, 08:03:09 AM
The hatchling hatched this morning at 00h33. It was a very difficult hatching, but ended well.

Congrats! Be well, both of you.

ab_grp

Congratulations, Parasaurolophus and now-extended family! I'm sorry to hear that it was difficult, but I'm glad that you are all doing well now and wish you lots of happiness!

ergative

Mazel tov! Here's to a new life in a (let's hope) better year!

cathwen

Congratulations on the new life you are welcoming into your family!  All best wishes for good health and happiness.

Puget

Quote from: ergative on March 18, 2021, 08:54:16 AM

Mazel tov! Here's to a new life in a (let's hope) better year!

Yes, congrats!
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

apl68

If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

AmLitHist

Congratulations, Parasaurolophus, and great joy to all of you!

wareagle

Hope ParaMom is doing well.  Congrats!
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum