RIP: To remember those lost to us, whether close or at large

Started by mamselle, June 03, 2019, 05:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

My mom, who died two years ago, would have been 94 the day after tomorrow. We didn't have a lot to say, sometimes, but I've been thinking of her this past week. Likewise, my dad, who died several years before that, but had a birthday ten days before hers. Now the house has been sold (last year, in April) there is barely any family presence in the town we all grew up in and (almost all) moved away from.

I'm not feeling particularly sad, or bad, about that, just wondering at it, that it can be true. But it is.

This thread continues from the long-standing RIP thread on the 2006-2019 version of the CHE forum...itself undergoing change.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

hungry_ghost

A day late, already posted to CHE, but worth posting here as well:
Those who died in the Tian'anmen massacre thirty years ago yesterday.

San Joaquin

San Joaquin

drbrt

I lost my first grandparent that I can remember last week to bladder cancer. (I had a grandfather pass when I was two, but I have no memory of them). The funeral was Wednesday, and I got back last night at about midnight.

mamselle

Quote from: drbrt on June 21, 2019, 08:18:10 AM
I lost my first grandparent that I can remember last week to bladder cancer. (I had a grandfather pass when I was two, but I have no memory of them). The funeral was Wednesday, and I got back last night at about midnight.

Condolences to you, I'm glad that you had him in your life for so long.

All good thoughts for the days ahead, too. It takes time for grief to become less sharp and overwhelming.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

drbrt

Quote from: mamselle on June 21, 2019, 09:00:49 AM
Quote from: drbrt on June 21, 2019, 08:18:10 AM

Condolences to you, I'm glad that you had him in your life for so long.

All good thoughts for the days ahead, too. It takes time for grief to become less sharp and overwhelming.

M.
I actually lost a parent before my first grandparent, which is a little backwards. This was kind of a hard death. Grandma only made it 20 days after the diagnosis of cancer and surgery. Though, sometimes all you can hope for with cancer is that it is fast.

bioteacher

archaeo42

This is a soon to be loss. An undergraduate mentor of mine is in hospice care. I'd been looking forward to reconnecting with them again through some volunteer work. I sent off a note this morning to express how much they'd influenced me and that I appreciated all I'd learned from them. I hope it arrives in time.
"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."

reener06

An old friend from elementary school. We were a close-knit bunch, surviving the horrors of Catholic school together, all 40 of us, for almost 10 years. She and I were in the same group of friends, did sleep-overs, etc., and then went to high school together where we each found different friends. We reconnected on FB, and she had a lovely life, with two daughters, loving husband, a job she liked. Three months ago she was diagnosed with Stage IV pancreatic cancer, which she fought to the end, but a massive stroke took her last week. We're all in a bit of shock. She leaves behind two daughters on the brink of adulthood, and a husband whose last post on caring bridge brought us all to tears. She was a kind, funny, smart person who made the world better. In her memory I spent extra time with my family this week and savored it because she could not. Rest well, Michelle.

Hegemony