News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Three pangrams and above genius. QB yesterday.

trivialization/hept (whatever that means)

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Tough one this morning for me.  Husband got all 3 pangrams pretty quickly.  I got one after a while and then finally another one, but no third yet.  And neither of us are at genius.  Luckily the crossword was easy.  Yesterday we both had quite a few left at the end of the day again.  I was really happy with myself for remembering dirndl but managed to forget raid, radio, radon, ordain.  Congrats on your QB, Langue_doc!!! Top notch!

And congrats on your 2fers.  No luck here.  I thought I had something with elephant for a while and kind of got stuck on that.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

Yesterday I needed help for doornail and dolor.

Today: It took me ages to get to genius and to find all three pangrams.  I now have nine words to go and can see hints in my future.

LB:  I had epithet-trivialization. Lots of possibilities today!  No 2fer today yet, though.

Happy puzzling!

Parasaurolophus

Pangram, but fell well short again.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram (first word) and almost genius so far. I didn't get back to the puzzle yesterday, so will have to look up the missing words.

As for the previous day's LB, I think the second word was nept or something similar; I wrote down the words on a scrap of paper while waiting for my doctor's appointment, surprised that the word was accepted, and wondering what it meant.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

Morning! QBwH for nonet (gah). LB yolks-stumbling.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to genius so far, but no pangram yet for either of us.  Yesterday we had a bunch left again and needed help with hooey.  At least I finally got all three pangrams and to genius! Geez. 

I almost forgot I got a 2fer last night! I had tried stumbling forever and couldn't get a mate but finally came up with oinks-stumblingly.  The official one is definitely making me regret not trying a little harder on that mate.  I am curious about Langue_doc's!

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

Yesterday was not a good puzzle day!  I finally gave up in the late afternoon and looked at hints to find eyeteeth, hotpot, opponent, phono, poppet, tooth, toothy, and tonne.  We were having some windows replaced yesterday, so I am going to attribute my lackluster performance to the constant pounding and various other noises that lasted all day long.  (But the new windows are in, they look great, and we're looking forward to not having cold air leaking in this winter.)

Not only that, but I didn't find a 2fer yesterday, either!  Ciao_yall and ab_grp, congratulations on yours! 

Today, though, is better.  I am one word away from QB, and I have found a 2fer.

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

I am curious about Langue_doc's!

ab_grp, I didn't find one yesterday. The trivialization/nept (or something similar) was from the previous puzzle. All I recall was that it was a four-letter word which, much to my surprise, was accepted.

QB today--all familiar words.

I had a weird thing happen to my puzzles on Wednesday. Around 9 PM, I could no longer access the games, but was instead directed to a screen that prompted me to subscribe at a low introductory rate. Clicking on the "subscribe" link didn't work because the link told me that I was a subscriber and hence not eligible for this rate. Although I was sure that my subscription was still current I couldn't find any link to my games subscription nor could I subscribe to the games. This was the case on all three devices. Around midnight, the games were back on, but I lost my crossword chain because I usually complete the crossword before bed. I did complete LB and SB before the snafu but am still waiting for a response from customer care. Aaargh!

ab_grp

Wow, good luck on QB, cathwen, and congrats on yours, Langue_doc!

Cathwen, now that you have your winter windows and your A/C all taken care of, you should be in good shape year-round!  And congrats on your 2fer today!

Langue_doc, now I get it.  I did see your solution from the previous day but didn't link that update to that 2fer.  And sorry to hear about your subscription issue.  I hope they figure it out and can clean up the consequences to your streaks and stats.  I wonder if it's tied at all to what we experienced yesterday morning (Thursday).  The first time each of us accessed our apps, we got a screen welcoming us back to the NYT crossword, saying our free trial had ended, etc. and asking us to subscribe or play a free game (I took a screenshot).  Usually this just means I had gotten logged out, but I noted at the bottom that it said I was logged in! I just restarted the app, and it was fine.  Same thing happened to my husband, with a slightly different screen and message, and it also went away when he restarted it.  Same/similar thing you saw Wednesday night? 

Parasaurolophus

Few points short, no pangram; will finish tomorrow.
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

QBw2LL for a few nudges. LB canebrakes-snowplow.

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and genius before leaving for a bird walk this morning.

broncos/spacewalk, and then the more economical spacewalks/snob.

ab_grp, I think I had something similar to the screens you describe, but in my case it was on all three devices and also opening a new tab didn't help. Things did get back to normal, but so far no response from customer service.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Got the pangram right away and was humming right along and then had a hard time getting to genius, but I got there for now.  Yesterday I think I had three or so words left when we compared.  We didn't have team QB, because we were both missing cocoon somehow.

For LB, I got knowable-escaper.  Lots of solutions again!

Langue_doc, I will keep my fingers crossed that customer service helps you out.  And I hope you had a nice bird walk!

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Found a 2fer! Now to get back to the bee...