News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Good morning!

Finally got the pangram (after finding a couple that were not accepted) and then to genius.  Husband got to QBABH yesterday, but I needed help with aroma, manna, poolroom, romp

I also got nowhere with LB.  I definitely did not see bankruptcy! Good luck, ciao_yall.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

Beta with pangram this morning.  Yesterday poolroom was my last word. 

LB:  For the third day in a row, I cannot find a 2fer!  I did not see bankruptcy yesterday.  Today I see many words, but they all involve letters on the same side.  My husband and I are going to NYC today, so I'll have time to work on it on the train.  I'm hoping for a breakthrough!

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Finally got a 2fer! But I have several words left on the bee.

I hope you had a good trip into "the city" and also had some inspiration, cathwen!

cathwen

Congratulations on your 2fer, ab_grp!  Alas, I am still struggling, and will probably give it up for the evening. 

It's good to be back in NYC, but the little bar/restaurant we used to go to is under new management and, while the food is good, the atmosphere is not as cozy.  And another restaurant we used to frequent is no longer there.  So I almost feel that I know but don't know the city anymore.  Tomorrow I'm going to have to re-acquaint myself with subway and bus routes!  (I do remember most of those, however.)

Parasaurolophus

Blah, didn't spend enough time on it today. Pangram but unfinished.
I know it's a genus.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram (second word) and 110 points so far.

Last word yesterday was dace, which I finally remembered from an earlier puzzle. I found haka by accidentally typing the wrong letter. It never ceases to surprise me that what I think of as obscure words keep finding their way into the bee list, whereas words such as dickhead, which would have been a second pangram, keep getting banned.

skeletonize/expire

I turned off the alarm because I didn't feel like getting up early for a bird walk, but more are coming up this long weekend.

Enjoy the weekend, and happy solving!

ciao_yall

QBwH for haka, caddie. Just 3fers on LB including prize-expels-stonk and why I never saw skeleton is beyond me.

Quick 2fer this morning so back to it.

Happy solving, birding and whatever you all get up to today!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Got to genius with the pangram.  Yesterday we didn't get team QB.  I was missing haka, chica.  I do remember the first one but don't think it has been in there often, and I never try the second one because similar words are not accepted.  With you on the second pangram, Langue_doc!

For LB, I got a ring of skeletonize-experts.  Congrats on getting a quick one today, ciao_yall!

It's very cool and rainy here.  A good day to turn off the alarm! I'm glad you have other bird walks to look forward to this weekend, Langue_doc, and I hope you can figure out the subway and bus system and find some new cozy spots!

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

QB yesterday with haka as my last word.  Just made QB on today's puzzle, too.

LB: I never did get a 2fer yesterday, but I have broken my losing streak (3 days!!) by finding one today.  Not a quick one, like ciao_yall, though!

Happy puzzling!

Parasaurolophus

Blah, found the pangram ten forgot to finish. Again.
I know it's a genus.

ciao_yall

QBw2LL, last word was canyon /facepalm. LB blotch-harmonium.

3fers and a 2fer b4ss so far this morning. I hope to start a winning streak but who knows.

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Three pangrams and 220 points so far. QB yesterday--don't recall the last word(s).

blotch/harmonium

Went on a bird walk this morning. Plenty of birds but a most uninspiring trip leader.

Hope you have good weather, ab_grp! Cool but sunny here, all the way to mid-week.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

I only have two pangrams but finally managed to get to genius.  Yesterday I think I was just missing one word but then found it right at the last minute and got QBABM (yahoo).  Yahoo!

I tried and tried and could not get a 2fer! It's kind of ironic that the schmofficial solution included halibut, given that I spent hours online yesterday afternoon looking at halibut and other fish online to order.  :-( Oh well.  Today is another day.  Congrats on your solution, ciao_yall and Langue_doc!

Thanks for the weather wishes, Langue_doc! It is still cool and rainy here, even more than yesterday.  It's supposed to clear up midweek.  Since it's usually so sunny, I guess it's a nice break to get some perspective and feel like there is really a transition to fall.  I miss that from the east coast.  I'm glad you had a good bird outing despite the trip leader!

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good afternoon!

Yoohoo was my last word yesterday.  Today I'm at Beta with all three pangrams. 

LB:  I had outcharm-minilab.  I was really surprised that minilab took, but I'm not arguing. I have a 2fer today, but it's not very economical. 

We're back from NY.  The event we went down for was at our former church, which bought and gut-renovated another building, so this was a consecration ceremony; my husband was recruited to sing with the choir, as he had when we lived in New York.  People we hadn't seen for years recognized us and greeted us warmly.  The ceremony was long but beautiful.  But there was drama when the smoke detector started blaring!  The bishop (who looks like Santa Claus and, fittingly, has a jolly disposition) got up and said, "Don't worry!  It's just the incense!" Nevertheless, I think we were all expecting the fire brigade to come charging up the aisle.  They did not, fortunately. 

Ab_grp, I hope you have good weather!  Langue_doc, that's too bad that your trip leader was uninspiring, but at least you got to see many birds.

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Finally got a 2fer! Congrats on yours as well, cathwen, economical or not, and your different solution yesterday! And it's great that you were able to see and spend time with old friends from your church.  Also good that the fire brigade didn't have to make an appearance! I wonder how often that happens with the incense.  I hope your husband enjoyed his time with the choir again.

Oh I finally got the third pangram as well.  Whew.