News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

NYT Spelling Bee

Started by nebo113, August 28, 2020, 05:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Congrats on also getting a 2fer yesterday, cathwen! I hope you get one today.  No luck here, yet.

Sorry to hear about your hiking boot blister, Langue_doc! But it sounds like you had a good time with the birds and the people.   Hopefully you'll have some time to rest your feet.

I had a nice call with my friend, but before that I made the dumb mistake of trying to fit exercise in quickly.  Anyway, now I am enjoying ibuprofen, a heating pad, and Ben Gay on my lower back.  I hope it works itself out with a little care and stretching.  Ugh! Being healthy is dangerous.  The two of us are quite a pair at this point.  We're going to go enjoy the good weather and sit on the patio for a bit and hope to figure out some more words in the bee and maybe get a 2fer!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and above genius. Didn't get around to completing the bee last night because I wanted to get the crossword done. But antarctic?! I saw that word, but didn't even think of trying it because for me that's a proper noun.

ab_grp, hope you feel better soon. Nothing like a good massage therapist, if you can find one in your area and if your insurance covers the treatment.

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

QBwH and added more to my list. I think my last word was runic. No 2fer yesterday but close 3fers including hamachi-inkblot-tar, chai-inkblot-tram.

Let's see what today brings. Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning/afternoon!

Finally got the pangram and to genius.  It took both of us a while on the pangram again today! Yesterday I had a few left, including runic, antarctic, cataract, attractant, tantric.  At least I got a couple that I usually seem to have a hard time with, like arnica.  Maybe it was prompted by the back issue.  We didn't have team QB, as we both needed help for uric, unfortunately.

No luck on LB again!

That's a good suggestion about the massage therapist, Langue_doc! If it persists, I will definitely keep that in mind.  Thanks! It usually resolves itself in a day or a couple days.  I was surprised at how little it impacted my sleep last night, actually.  Seems mostly to be an issue while sitting.  I'm planning to try to do a stretching routine this afternoon if things feel amenable. 

Happy solving!

ETA: I forgot that I made a note to mention that I think cria should have been bee-accepted yesterday.

ab_grp

Can't modify anymore, but I did manage to get a 2fer on my second try!

cathwen

Good evening!

I needed help to find arnica and circa yesterday. Today I finally made QB, albeit with a slight nudge for the last two words.

LB:  I did not find a 2fer yesterday.  I had inkblot, but did not get mariachi.  However, I found three 2fers today! 

I hope your recover soon from your exercise, ab_grp! 

Happy puzzling!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and above genius. Last word yesterday was tatty.

moguls/stingray, and then after seeing cathwen's post, tried for a second pair and found imaginations/sultry.

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

I needed letter hints to find hyphen and hyphenated—the pangram and last word.  It was driving me crazy!  Today I have a good way to go, but I am at genius with the pangram.

LB:  Langue_doc, my solutions are even different from yours!  I first had sanitarium-monology; then taming-gloriously; then luminous-straying.  No 2fer yet today, though. 

Happy puzzling!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to genius, but no pangram again! I am kind of enjoying these challenges.  Usually the pangram is easy and the other words are hard to find in total.  We'll see.  Yesterday we had team QB.  I think I was missing natty, netty, yeah, they, hyena.  Not great! The pangram was elusive for quite a while.

For LB, I found yet another solution: luting-gastronomy.  Tons of solutions! Congrats on your 2 and 3 respectively, Langue_doc and cathwen! Wow! None schmofficial so far.

Thanks, cathwen! My back is getting better day by day.  I guess sometimes you need a rest.  It's easy to want to push it, but that's not how things work anymore.  I've been meaning to ask how your hip is faring?

Happy solving!

ciao_yall

QB, needed a hint for papaya while there was one sitting on the counter. LB gyrations-slum

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Genius and then the pangram. Missed pinniped (which I've seen before) and weepie. Finding 54 words on a work day is far too time-consuming for most of us!

fudge/exorcism

Happy solving!

cathwen

Good morning!

QBWATHICG, which is to say, two-letter hints for a bunch of words.  I had to go to hints to find pinniped, which I dimly remembered from a previous puzzle, and which was my very last word.  Today I'm at genius with the pangram, but I may not progress very far on my own.  This course I agreed to teach at the last minute is taking up gobs of prep time!

ab_grp, you asked about my hip.  I walk very well and have excellent range of motion.  However, I still get occasional twinges in the groin and thigh, usually after getting up from a sitting position. I'll be bringing this up with my doctor when I see him on Saturday.  But basically, doing pretty well.  I hope your back continues to improve!

LB:  I also had the "official" fudge-exorcism.. No 2fer yet today, although I have some good words.

Happy puzzling!

ciao_yall

Morning! Guessed pinewood ABM, but had to go to hints and add pinioned, weepie to my Magic List. LB fudge-exorcism.

Happy solving!

ab_grp

Good morning!

Got to genius with the pangram so far.  Yesterday I was missing dino, and we were both missing opioid, weepie and needed help with those.  It took me forever to find pinewood.  I had a couple that I thought were words that were accepted elsewhere, like owie, wowie, downpipe, wipedown, wideopen

Absolutely no luck on LB.  The letter arrangement just totally stymied me.  I had a couple words, but no real contenders.

Cathwen, that's great! Sounds like your hip is fairly well back to normal? Are you allowed to Zumba again (if you wanted to!)? I'm not sure how that works.  I hope your doctor can give you some idea about what's going on with the twinges.   Thanks about my back, too.  Better and better! It's more stiff than anything at this point with a little pull here and there, but I would guess tomorrow it will feel near 100%.  I won't be doing any explosive movements anytime soon!

Husband went off driving himself for the first time in quite a while.  He has to get a chest x-ray per the cardiologist and blood work for the PCP.  He is having a twinge himself, in his upper right chest.  That is to be expected, but he gets a little nervous about it now and again, so it will be good to have a look-see at what's going on in there.  Otherwise, still doing great! I hope the drive goes well, but Friday will be 6 weeks, so it's about time, and I'm not sure he's any safer with me driving the truck. 

Happy solving!

Langue_doc

Good morning!

Pangram and genius. It's a wordy one today.

It took me quite an effort to find the last word--tinge! I had to sit at the computer and go down the list of words to see if if there were any more possible words.

pathetic/congruent; euphoric/cognate

ab_grp, sounds like husband has made considerable progress to recovery. cathwen, hope the doctor can help find a solution. There's nothing like physical therapy (for me, at least) because part of the routine is putting the large heating pad on the affected body part at the beginning, and then the therapist doing some massaging and stretching at the end.

Happy solving!