News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

cord cutting

Started by kaysixteen, September 13, 2023, 10:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaysixteen

I read this fascinating article this weekend on the current increasing propensity of (mostly younger adults) cutting the cable cord and going to streaming services to get tv service, and was wondering what you all thought.   Specifically, there are several issues that the article points out: 1) most cable subscribers, myself included, also buy internet service from the cable co, so without a legit alternate source of net access, cord cutting for streaming seems a stillborn idea, and 2) there seem to be various tech issues inherent with one's computer, that may minimize the likelihood of getting consistent good picture streamed?

Kron3007

I haven't had cable for many years and don't miss it.  We do have a digital antenna that we use mostly for the news.  I don't really consider myself a young adult anymore but I guess that is relative.

There are many options for internet (especially if you are in town), so I don't see the issue.  Picture quality is fine for me. 

Caracal

Quote from: kaysixteen on September 13, 2023, 10:42:24 PMI read this fascinating article this weekend on the current increasing propensity of (mostly younger adults) cutting the cable cord and going to streaming services to get tv service, and was wondering what you all thought.   Specifically, there are several issues that the article points out: 1) most cable subscribers, myself included, also buy internet service from the cable co, so without a legit alternate source of net access, cord cutting for streaming seems a stillborn idea, and 2) there seem to be various tech issues inherent with one's computer, that may minimize the likelihood of getting consistent good picture streamed?

Technically we do this, although we are cheating in the sense that we "borrow" a cable streaming subscription from a family member which allows me to watch some sports that I wouldn't be able to watch any other way. I mostly watch stuff on the actual TV, but when I do occasionally watch something on my computer or phone it's fine. The only issue would be if you had a very old computer. At this point both smart TVs and tablets are absurdly cheap so if you need something newer that shouldn't be an issue.

Hegemony

You can buy internet service without buying cable service. I have home internet, but haven't had cable for about fifteen years. I stream everything I watch.

downer

I pay Verizon about $60 a month for my internet. I got rid of cable years ago and haven't missed it for a second.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

EdnaMode

I have high-speed internet and a VOIP phone (wanted a local phone number and don't like the whole world having my mobile phone number) from a cable company for $85 a month. Have not had cable TV for years. They send me adverts pretty much every week trying to get me to buy one of their TV packages, but no. I stream everything I watch and the cost of what I pay to stream (don't watch much TV) is still less than what I'd pay for even the most basic TV package after whatever discount they're offering ends.
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Hegemony on September 14, 2023, 04:31:15 AMYou can buy internet service without buying cable service. I have home internet, but haven't had cable for about fifteen years. I stream everything I watch.

Yup. I haven't had a TV since 2003.

The only problem is that streaming is heading in the cable/subscription direction, minus the bundling.

Image quality is not an issue. It is an issue with TVs today, however, because motion interpolation gives everything the look of a soap opera. This is especially the case for hi-def TVs. They get the "hi-def" by compensating for whatever speed something was filmed at (say, 30 fps) by using a predictive algorithm to compare frames and generate one or more new frames in between those two. Depending on the speed at which something was filmed and the speed for which the TV was optimized you may well be watching more algorithmically-generated than real content.
I know it's a genus.

apl68

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on September 14, 2023, 07:04:28 AM
Quote from: Hegemony on September 14, 2023, 04:31:15 AMYou can buy internet service without buying cable service. I have home internet, but haven't had cable for about fifteen years. I stream everything I watch.

Yup. I haven't had a TV since 2003.

The only problem is that streaming is heading in the cable/subscription direction, minus the bundling.

Image quality is not an issue. It is an issue with TVs today, however, because motion interpolation gives everything the look of a soap opera. This is especially the case for hi-def TVs. They get the "hi-def" by compensating for whatever speed something was filmed at (say, 30 fps) by using a predictive algorithm to compare frames and generate one or more new frames in between those two. Depending on the speed at which something was filmed and the speed for which the TV was optimized you may well be watching more algorithmically-generated than real content.

That's got to be annoying!

I dropped cable in 2013 and have never picked up streaming.  I just watch videos on disk a couple of times a week.  There's just not a lot of new screen content out there that interests me.  I'd rather read or get out and around when I have time free.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

mythbuster

We "cut the cord" in terms of dropping the TV part of our cable subscription several years ago. Cable is still the best option in our area for internet right now. But dropping TV cut our bill in half- we pay $90/month for the internet. We never used the cable's phone option. We have Cell Phones.
   We watch sports, so we have bounced between different streaming services to get that. We started with YouTube TV which worked well. As the price crept up (it started at ~$20/month), we switched to the Hulu+ Disney + ESPN bundle. Now the price of that has crept up to the point where we are back to what we paid before cord cutting if you add the internet bill+ the streamers. Urg! We have Netflix as well, but it's likely to get purged at the end of the year- we don't watch it enough.
   Our neighborhood is now investigating getting fiberoptic internet access at a bulk rate. What we have seen so far would include the channels we watch with regularity (ESPN family, Weather Channel, and occasionally HGTV) at a greatly lowered price. So we will likely try that when it is available.
And just to be clear we watch all of this on a modern 40+ inch smart TV. No boxes or other attachments needed.

Hibush

Quote from: kaysixteen on September 13, 2023, 10:42:24 PM2) there seem to be various tech issues inherent with one's computer, that may minimize the likelihood of getting consistent good picture streamed?
You stream internet straight to the TV. The computer doesn't need to be involved.

apl68

This morning I learned that one of our internet service providers cut the cord on us!  They have dropped their cable internet and are now only going to support fiber.  They had mentioned it to me awhile back, and I was ready to look at what it would cost to go with fiber.  Instead of ever getting back to us with that so that we could make a decision, they simply cancelled our service. 

It's a good thing we had a line from another service provider for a backup.  It's expensive, but having redundant providers to fall back on has been the only way to be sure we keep service coming at the library.  It's not unusual to have one or another provider drop out around here, but not usually both.  And we really have to keep internet, or we're dead in the water as far as our ability to provide most of the kinds of public service we offer.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

Sun_Worshiper

I haven't had cable for a decade or more and the only time I miss it is during the NBA playoffs.

kaysixteen

Since my TV is really old (old fashioned big box picture tube, not sold here since 2003, but I believe it maybe 5 years older-- I paid 15 bucks at Salvation Army for it in 2008), methinks I could not access net on it, even if I wanted to, so cord cutting would more or less just require me to do everthing on my PC, and I am wondering whether local tv stations would be available.   My aunt does want me to take my late mom's flatscreen tv, but this ain't real new either-- I know it was new in 2005.

Kron3007

Quote from: kaysixteen on September 18, 2023, 04:58:33 PMSince my TV is really old (old fashioned big box picture tube, not sold here since 2003, but I believe it maybe 5 years older-- I paid 15 bucks at Salvation Army for it in 2008), methinks I could not access net on it, even if I wanted to, so cord cutting would more or less just require me to do everthing on my PC, and I am wondering whether local tv stations would be available.   My aunt does want me to take my late mom's flatscreen tv, but this ain't real new either-- I know it was new in 2005.

You could get a Roku, android box, or a variety of other devices that could connect your TV.  Or, you could get a newer TV, they have dropped in price dramatically.  You would have a hard time even giving your current tv away.

It's like you are stuck in the 20th century.