News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Purchases that turned out to be really, really great

Started by ergative, September 26, 2022, 07:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Quote from: ergative on October 04, 2022, 01:55:48 PM
I've been looking at those antique/second hand furniture places in the hopes of getting something nice like that for our new place. The problem is that the beautiful antique arts-and-crafts pieces of cabinetry are all priced like beautiful antique arts-and-crafts cabinetry. And I'm about to drop 1k on electrical repairs, so, well. Ikea bookcases hold books just fine, I guess.

Really good-quality antique furniture can be awfully expensive, but I've found that nice-looking, serviceable pieces can be had pretty reasonably.  Both beds in my house are antiques with nicely-turned posts that I got for in the neighborhood of $200 each.  That said, I spent a year or two looking to find that second one.  It was worth the wait.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

Juvenal

Trivial, but years ago at a yard sale I bought a mug (50 cents?), very dark purple, now black to me with my compromised color vision, with the Church of St. John the Divine in white, enameled on both sides (no disfavoring lefties, here!).  I use it only on Sunday's for "Juvenal's Sunday Service," and whatever traces of religion remain in me whisper a little.
Cranky septuagenarian

mamselle

CSJD has always been one of my must-attends when in NYC.

Love that place.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mahagonny

A tankful of gas for my economy car for $48 was a great purchase, because a week later it was $53.

fishbrains

An itty bitty portable USB travel fan. Saved my life when I was in Europe during a heat wave, but now I take it just about everywhere. Some of our classrooms are at around 438°.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

paultuttle

That recliner for the bedroom. It was the first one I've ever sat in that cradled my head and neck COMPLETELY while sitting up AND while reclining.

mahagonny

1971 Plymouth Scamp (a two-door Valiant). Almost 200,000 miles driven on it. By the end you couldn't get leaded gas so I had to buy lead additive.
Bought used of course. I've never bought a new car, and never been without a decent one.
You could open the hood and see everything. Replace stuff, with a little know-how.
Just a trip down nostalgia lane.

ergative

Quote from: paultuttle on October 06, 2022, 03:19:31 PM
That recliner for the bedroom. It was the first one I've ever sat in that cradled my head and neck COMPLETELY while sitting up AND while reclining.

I have a leather recliner + ottoman that I bought from a very, very wealthy college friend who did not know the meaning of money. It wasn't quite an Eames armchair, but it's the same flavor. I assume her parents bought it for her to plump up her dorm room, so when she moved out she sold it to me for $30. $30!! An upperclassman offered to buy it off me for $50, but I held firm. I still have it. It's crossed continents and oceans with me. Glorious thing.

Tee_Bee

Quote from: paultuttle on October 06, 2022, 03:19:31 PM

Right after the beginning of the pandemic, my wife plucked a recliner out of the furniture that a neighbor was giving away on a local buy nothing group. I am sitting in it in the bedroom now, and I love it. The only additional investment I needed to make was a lap desk to make using a laptop easier. This was a life saver during the work from home time, and I still use it to read and write when I need a change of scene.

arcturus

Bose noise cancelling earbuds. I had tried several different noise cancelling headsets before, but they were uncomfortable when trying to sleep (on an airplane) and often were pushed off my ears when turning my head. The earbuds act as earplugs (so reduce noise even when the noise cancelling feature is not turned on) and do not fall out when I turn my head. The noise cancelling is so good that I usually only put it in one ear when using as a headset on zoom, so that I can still hear the ambient sounds, as I find it disconcerting to talk into pure quiet. Thus, the flexibility of only using one side at a time is also a plus.

ergative

Quote from: arcturus on October 10, 2022, 05:39:39 AM
Bose noise cancelling earbuds. I had tried several different noise cancelling headsets before, but they were uncomfortable when trying to sleep (on an airplane) and often were pushed off my ears when turning my head. The earbuds act as earplugs (so reduce noise even when the noise cancelling feature is not turned on) and do not fall out when I turn my head. The noise cancelling is so good that I usually only put it in one ear when using as a headset on zoom, so that I can still hear the ambient sounds, as I find it disconcerting to talk into pure quiet. Thus, the flexibility of only using one side at a time is also a plus.

Hmm! Personal sound-conveyance equipment is something where I've always been mildly dissatisfied with my purchases but put up with them because they're good enough. Maybe next time I'll spring for the brand name.

arcturus

Quote from: ergative on October 10, 2022, 06:16:16 AM

Hmm! Personal sound-conveyance equipment is something where I've always been mildly dissatisfied with my purchases but put up with them because they're good enough. Maybe next time I'll spring for the brand name.
They were twice the price of my previous headset purchases, but definitely worth the cost. I was able to try them at the store before purchase, so I had reason to believe that they would work as advertised and be much more comfortable than what I was using at the time.  In this case, the brand name did live up to its reputation.

Funastrum

Quote from: ciao_yall on September 26, 2022, 09:16:13 AM
My Ninja Foodi. The exact model isn't listed but you can get close.

I went to Target because my slow cooker finally died. Found a slow cooker for $20. Then for $40, there was one with a pressure cooker. For $80 I could get an air fryer. For $160 I could get a gizmo that did all three, but...

Anyway, $320 later it does All The Things. I can roast a whole chicken in an hour and it is so moist and crisp and tender. While the chicken rests I roast vegetables and we have a great meal.

My kitchen is small but I managed to find a spot in one of the cabinets for it. Gets used once or twice a week.

I also rate my air fryer as the best thing ever.  As someone who really does not cook, it is the ultimate appliance for making food heat up tastily. 

pgher

Quote from: arcturus on October 10, 2022, 06:27:39 AM

They were twice the price of my previous headset purchases, but definitely worth the cost. I was able to try them at the store before purchase, so I had reason to believe that they would work as advertised and be much more comfortable than what I was using at the time.  In this case, the brand name did live up to its reputation.

My old Bose earbuds are ok, but I love my Earfun Free Pro 3 earbuds. I know a name like Earfun sounds fake, but they're awesome.

I should mention that this thread has been expensive. So far I bought 2 items I heard about here. No telling how many more I'll find irresistible!

traductio

Quote from: pgher on October 11, 2022, 05:22:13 AM
Quote from: arcturus on October 10, 2022, 06:27:39 AM

My old Bose earbuds are ok, but I love my Earfun Free Pro 3 earbuds. I know a name like Earfun sounds fake, but they're awesome.

I should mention that this thread has been expensive. So far I bought 2 items I heard about here. No telling how many more I'll find irresistible!

I belong to a group on Facebook where people talk about books they've read. That's an expensive group for me to belong to for the same reason! One guy in particular -- I swear, I wish he'd just stop suggesting good books.