Purchases that turned out to be really, really great

Started by ergative, September 26, 2022, 07:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ergative

Quote from: pgher on October 11, 2022, 05:22:13 AM
Quote from: arcturus on October 10, 2022, 06:27:39 AM
Quote from: ergative on October 10, 2022, 06:16:16 AM
Quote from: arcturus on October 10, 2022, 05:39:39 AM
Bose noise cancelling earbuds. I had tried several different noise cancelling headsets before, but they were uncomfortable when trying to sleep (on an airplane) and often were pushed off my ears when turning my head. The earbuds act as earplugs (so reduce noise even when the noise cancelling feature is not turned on) and do not fall out when I turn my head. The noise cancelling is so good that I usually only put it in one ear when using as a headset on zoom, so that I can still hear the ambient sounds, as I find it disconcerting to talk into pure quiet. Thus, the flexibility of only using one side at a time is also a plus.

Hmm! Personal sound-conveyance equipment is something where I've always been mildly dissatisfied with my purchases but put up with them because they're good enough. Maybe next time I'll spring for the brand name.
They were twice the price of my previous headset purchases, but definitely worth the cost. I was able to try them at the store before purchase, so I had reason to believe that they would work as advertised and be much more comfortable than what I was using at the time.  In this case, the brand name did live up to its reputation.

ooh, which two?

My old Bose earbuds are ok, but I love my Earfun Free Pro 3 earbuds. I know a name like Earfun sounds fake, but they're awesome.

I should mention that this thread has been expensive. So far I bought 2 items I heard about here. No telling how many more I'll find irresistible!

pgher

Quote from: ergative on October 11, 2022, 08:18:59 AM
Quote from: pgher on October 11, 2022, 05:22:13 AM
Quote from: arcturus on October 10, 2022, 06:27:39 AM
Quote from: ergative on October 10, 2022, 06:16:16 AM
Quote from: arcturus on October 10, 2022, 05:39:39 AM
Bose noise cancelling earbuds. I had tried several different noise cancelling headsets before, but they were uncomfortable when trying to sleep (on an airplane) and often were pushed off my ears when turning my head. The earbuds act as earplugs (so reduce noise even when the noise cancelling feature is not turned on) and do not fall out when I turn my head. The noise cancelling is so good that I usually only put it in one ear when using as a headset on zoom, so that I can still hear the ambient sounds, as I find it disconcerting to talk into pure quiet. Thus, the flexibility of only using one side at a time is also a plus.

Hmm! Personal sound-conveyance equipment is something where I've always been mildly dissatisfied with my purchases but put up with them because they're good enough. Maybe next time I'll spring for the brand name.
They were twice the price of my previous headset purchases, but definitely worth the cost. I was able to try them at the store before purchase, so I had reason to believe that they would work as advertised and be much more comfortable than what I was using at the time.  In this case, the brand name did live up to its reputation.

My old Bose earbuds are ok, but I love my Earfun Free Pro 3 earbuds. I know a name like Earfun sounds fake, but they're awesome.

I should mention that this thread has been expensive. So far I bought 2 items I heard about here. No telling how many more I'll find irresistible!
Ooh, which two?

So far, garden weasel and Helinox Chair Zero. I looked at the One but need something lighter. I'm going on a big trip in a couple weeks. My thinking is that I can probably rent it to the other guys if I decide not to use it.

Vkw10

HotLogic Mini. Put my lunch in it and plug it in. An hour later, my lunch is warm and ready to eat, but it will stay warm for 4-5 hours without drying out. So nice to have an evenly warm meal, instead of the unevenly heated microwave version. Food doesn't bake onto the dish, either.

I have one at office, one at home, and one in suitcase.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

Morden

Looking for a purchase that turned out to be really, really great:
Does anyone have a countertop blender they really, really like? (I'd mostly be blending soup)

ergative

Quote from: Morden on October 15, 2022, 08:47:19 AM
Does anyone have a countertop blender they really, really like? (I'd mostly be blending soup)

No, but I'd be curious to know if there are any. The food processor I bought was one of those things that I put up with because it's good enough, but I would really rather I had something better.

ciao_yall

Quote from: ergative on October 15, 2022, 10:12:25 AM

No, but I'd be curious to know if there are any. The food processor I bought was one of those things that I put up with because it's good enough, but I would really rather I had something better.

I have a Ninja blender. It does the trick. I wouldn't say it's really really great but then again, it beats doing it by hand.

Puget

For blending soup, a stick (aka hand) blender is far superior to a countertop blender-- you can blend right in the pot with a much lower risk of scalding yourself or making a mess. I have a no-name one that probably cost $25 and came with whisk and food processor jar attachments in addition to the blending blade, and it's a champ.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Morden

Yes, I have a hand blender, but it doesn't get it really smooth. Sometimes I use it and then put it into our countertop one, but I'd like to remove a step.

apl68

Quote from: ciao_yall on October 15, 2022, 10:39:14 AM
Quote from: ergative on October 15, 2022, 10:12:25 AM

I have a Ninja blender. It does the trick. I wouldn't say it's really really great but then again, it beats doing it by hand.

A Ninja blender sounds scary.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

ab_grp

I also have a Ninja blender/food processor set, and I love it.  It's so convenient! I can't recall having any issues, and it's pretty inexpensive.  I've never had a super-expensive blender to compare it to, though.  I have a hand blender too, and it's got its uses, but I agree that it doesn't do the smoothest job.

Kron3007

Makes me feel old saying this, but my electric toothbrush.   Where were they all my life!

Larimar

My Keurig pod coffeemaker. When Mr. Larimar first offered to get me one, I was reluctant and wasn't sure why. Then I realized it was because I didn't want to admit that I'm a coffee drinker. In retrospect, that was silly. Since I got my coffeemaker, it's meant better coffee, every morning instead of only on teaching days, and no more fast food drive-thru lines.

Larimar

ergative

Have I mentioned my gooseneck kettle? I don't think I have. It broke a few days ago and I've been using our old kettle for my morning pourover, and the difference is astonishing. Gooseneck kettles are such a silly, frou-frou niche thing, and yet the change it makes to my quality of life is so immediately noticeable and dramatic that I don't ever, ever want to be without it again.*

Fortunately, the replacement arrived this morning, so I expect tomorrow's coffee-making experience to be back up to snuff.

*It is also just conceivably possible that our plebian kettle is poorly designed and a better designed plebian kettle would not drip so irritatingly all over the counter when I try to precision-pour over the coffee grounds.

mamselle

New computer charger works; new little passport-sized power bank will be a known joy (it's charging  now) and extra chords, if they work, will be more joy...they replace the useful system lost a week ago that I knew was good before.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

AJ_Katz

Quote from: Kron3007 on November 23, 2022, 07:07:55 PM
Makes me feel old saying this, but my electric toothbrush.   Where were they all my life!

I'm with you on that one!  I love my Sonicare.  My first Sonicare lasted so many years and, technically, it never stopped working, but the button wore off and exposed the inside electrical system, so eventually bought a new one.  I've been using them for almost 15 years now and my dentist has been (mostly) happy since then, which makes me happy too.