News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Things To Test

Started by eigen, May 16, 2019, 04:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polly_mer

Can we get a handful of people to do things that will need moderation, thread splitting, moving, or something else?

Please be tasteful (e.g., say breaking rule N with a humorous example) and maybe do some non-self notifications to report to the moderators.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

cc_alan

[edited for content]

Parasaurolophus

Tanks! Dealt with one report, leaving the other for someone else to try their hand.

EDIT: Looks like we can split posts off to form new topics, and move threads/topics from one board to another, but we can't move posts from one thread to another. I think splitting it off and merging is currently the only way to accomplish the task. Good to know, if that's the case!
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

I didn't see the time zone thingy at first, so didn't change it; anyone doing the same would lead to a number of folks in the default time zone, which might be what you're seeing.

The quote boxes are too much indented and the smaller typeface borders on annoyingly invisible. Can that be ratcheted up a few points and maybe not have nested quotes change background colors so much?

Those visual cues are fine when a structure is wanted that lowers their visual priority, but this gang lives for the quote function, once mastered, as a way of taking each other's comments seriously and showing exactly what part of a conversation they're commenting on themselves.

I would worry that the depth of discussion could suffer if quotes become more like marginalized decor, instead of valid, visible ways of moving ideas forward.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

polly_mer

Thanks for a couple moderation tests so far with both entertaining posts and reports.  We're still well below a comfortable level of tests so we all get a shot and can see how the reporting works for those who would like to help in the testing and try a few more.

aside

I think aside is an awesome person. Take that!  (Please.)

overthejordan

Quote from: mamselle on May 18, 2019, 01:29:43 PM
I didn't see the time zone thingy at first, so didn't change it; anyone doing the same would lead to a number of folks in the default time zone, which might be what you're seeing.

Can we just get rid of the time zone in people's profile's altogether? Is it possible to keep the times that I see in my timezone without others knowing what timezone I'm in?

polly_mer

Poiuy makes a good point.

Quote from: poiuy on May 20, 2019, 01:16:31 PM

Query: posters can play with font size.  But what about when we read the fora?  It's showing up as a very small font, and the quotes are eye-wateringly impossible to read. 
Can a reader adjust the font size without just magnifying the entire web page? 
Or, if that's a site design issue, can the admins make the font a little bigger?

Thanks ..... in anticipation

Can we get more data on how these fora look on various devices?

polly_mer

Wanna_writemore has pointed out a potential problem.

Quote from: wanna_writemore on May 20, 2019, 11:01:07 AM
FYI to those with tech knowledge/skills: My registration was approved and I tried to log in and selected 1 hour and got an error message. When I left it on the default forever option, the login worked.

Anyone willing to test some combinations and report back?

poiuy

Quote from: polly_mer on May 20, 2019, 05:29:12 PM
Poiuy makes a good point.

Query: posters can play with font size.  But what about when we read the fora?  It's showing up as a very small font, and the quotes are eye-wateringly impossible to read. 
Or, if that's a site design issue, can the admins make the font a little bigger?

Thanks ..... in anticipation

Thanks polly_mer:

To answer your question to this query on the other thread:
Device = Dell laptop
Browser = Google Chrome

Thanks
Poiuy

eigen

Hi Poiuy, view on your end is going to depend on your browser and monitor settings, but also on your preference. You can always increase the zoom on your browser if you want a larger view.

I can say that the default font size is the same as the old forums, but it does scale based on screen size.

I've tested on OSX using Safari, Chrome and Firefox and iOS on an iPhone, iPad Pro and iPad mini using both Firefox and Safari.
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

polly_mer

Quote from: polly_mer on May 20, 2019, 05:34:10 PM
Wanna_writemore has pointed out a potential problem.

Quote from: wanna_writemore on May 20, 2019, 11:01:07 AM
FYI to those with tech knowledge/skills: My registration was approved and I tried to log in and selected 1 hour and got an error message. When I left it on the default forever option, the login worked.

Anyone willing to test some combinations and report back?

All the combinations work for me, which accords with Eigen's check on the log.  Thus, I'm calling this one a non-issue.

mystictechgal

FWIW, I do virtually everything using my iPad (5th generation, iOS 12.2), although I do have a laptop I can use. I have not yet read this entire thread (and may have posted something to Moderation that might better be posted here), but I will try to do so in the coming days and test whatever I can on that platform. But, unless I specify differently, you can all assume that anything I post is coming from that iPad perspective. If I hit something that doesn't work, I'll try it on my laptop (I'll have to check those specification later) and report that, as well.

namazu

I'm using a 15" laptop with Firefox v.66.0.5.  The font here also appears far smaller than on the old forum (or any other website I routinely use).
I have a minimum font size set to 10 in my browser.  If I set it to 12 point, then the text is more comparable to the old forum. 
If I set no minimum font size, the new forum shows up in about 8-point font.

mystictechgal

Quote from: namazu on May 20, 2019, 09:38:54 PM
I'm using a 15" laptop with Firefox v.66.0.5.  The font here also appears far smaller than on the old forum (or any other website I routinely use).
I have a minimum font size set to 10 in my browser.  If I set it to 12 point, then the text is more comparable to the old forum. 
If I set no minimum font size, the new forum shows up in about 8-point font.

On my iPad, I'm seeing no difference in font size from what I see on CHE or on the other board I've mentioned. The buttons (Post/Preview) are a little smaller, but the rest all seems to be the same.