News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Things To Test

Started by eigen, May 16, 2019, 04:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eigen

So as we're in the alpha phase of testing here, I thought I'd start an (incomplete) list of the things we need to test.

One of the main ones relates to privacy. Since moderators (and admins) can see all the registration details, if some of the people testing the member experience would play around with viewing profiles and making sure private information is staying private, that would be great.

Another thing to test is the edit window. I haven't quite figured out if there is one or how to adjust it, but I also can't test it, since admins have unlimited editing power.
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

fast_and_bulbous

Quote from: eigen on May 16, 2019, 04:25:37 PM
So as we're in the alpha phase of testing here, I thought I'd start an (incomplete) list of the things we need to test.

One of the main ones relates to privacy. Since moderators (and admins) can see all the registration details, if some of the people testing the member experience would play around with viewing profiles and making sure private information is staying private, that would be great.

Another thing to test is the edit window. I haven't quite figured out if there is one or how to adjust it, but I also can't test it, since admins have unlimited editing power.

Regarding the edit window, what are you looking to adjust? I can stretch it vertically... sometimes... the grab bars at the center bottom doesn't do anything for me.

That annoying animated "marquee" thing (with the M and backwards arrow) has to go!! Anything moving by default is bad, IMO. Actually, I can just adblock that sucker out...

We also don't really need emoticons if we want to keep it professional looking like the old forum.

I will poke around profiles. What should I not be able to see?
I wake up every morning with a healthy dose of analog delay

eigen

You're in the same situation as I am- since you're a global moderator, you'll be able to see everything.

We need some of the people testing the "member" role to poke around profiles and see what's visible.

For adjusting the edit window, I meant with respect to time: there's a time after posting that you're able to modify, and after that it closes off. I can't find anything that allows me to adjust that time in the forum settings, so we need to see if it exists. Once again, you can't test it as a moderator- but we have a number of other users (hibush, valmor, hypatia, cc_alan) that can test some of those things.
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

eigen

Quote from: eigen on May 16, 2019, 04:56:49 PM
You're in the same situation as I am- since you're a global moderator, you'll be able to see everything.

We need some of the people testing the "member" role to poke around profiles and see what's visible.

For adjusting the edit window, I meant with respect to time: there's a time after posting that you're able to modify, and after that it closes off. I can't find anything that allows me to adjust that time in the forum settings, so we need to see if it exists. Once again, you can't test it as a moderator- but we have a number of other users (hibush, valmor, hypatia, cc_alan) that can test some of those things.

OK, I think I've disabled attachments, emojis, and adjusted the time window for editing.

It should now be set to allow "courtesy" edits (no notification the post was edited) for 2 minutes after posting, and allow the post to be modified for 60 minutes after originally posted.

fast_and_bulbous

Quote from: eigen on May 16, 2019, 05:01:36 PM
Quote from: eigen on May 16, 2019, 04:56:49 PM

OK, I think I've disabled attachments, emojis, and adjusted the time window for editing.

It should now be set to allow "courtesy" edits (no notification the post was edited) for 2 minutes after posting, and allow the post to be modified for 60 minutes after originally posted.

That's great. The courtesy edit is a nice touch.

Hibush

In the profiles I can only see when members registered, when they were last active and how many posts they have made. Age would show, but nobody is filling that in. You can figure out the time zone they are using.

There are a number of message icons to chose from!

We have full emoji power.  :P
And can write with all kinds of typographic modifications.
mo
Really annoying moving text aka Marquee!

And images (the Ivory tower is out to get you)

(https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.matthewrmorris.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F09%2Fivorytower.jpg)

Hibush

I don't seem to be able to edit after posting. I can report myself to the moderator, however.

fast_and_bulbous

burp

Liquidambar

When I log in with the boxes in the upper left, it immediately says I'm timed out.  When I go to the main login screen and log into the main box, it works okay.

I needed to type some cryptic letters to be allowed to post this.

The marquee button above the box where I'm typing my post is really annoying.  (The moving emoticons that fast_and_bulbous posted are also annoying.  Are those built-in here?)
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

fast_and_bulbous

Quote from: liquidambar on May 16, 2019, 07:50:30 PM
When I log in with the boxes in the upper left, it immediately says I'm timed out.  When I go to the main login screen and log into the main box, it works okay.

I needed to type some cryptic letters to be allowed to post this.

The marquee button above the box where I'm typing my post is really annoying.  (The moving emoticons that fast_and_bulbous posted are also annoying.  Are those built-in here?)

Yeah we're gonna get rid of that... we're just testing here. Eigen thought he disabled that but clearly it's ... abled!

I too had a problem logging in, where it only worked when it gave me the dialog that was in the middle of the screen.

Liquidambar

Okay, I'll stop whining about the marquee button.  On to testing the things that we're supposed to test...

I viewed profiles for Administrator, Senior Moderator, and regular member.  Everything looks fine, no personal information visible except what the person presumably wants visible (e.g., fast_and_bulbous's gender).  A weird thing is that stats are available for what time of day each person posts (displayed as a bar graph).  I don't know if anyone would consider that too intrusive.  I don't think it is, since the info could be manually collected by looking at someone's posts.

I'm going to try posting this without typing the secret code letters (captcha thingy).  Nope, it lets me preview but not post without them.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

Liquidambar

An annoying thing is that after I post, it kicks me back to the list of threads instead of to the post I just made.  I can't remember if the old fora did that too.

Liquidambar

Editing...  I don't think I can edit the post I just made.  At least I don't see an edit button on it.  Am I just overlooking it?

Liquidambar

Actually, here's a privacy issue with the profiles...  It's showing everyone's local time.  I'm not sure that everyone wants their timezone known.  Can that be turned off?

namazu

Weirdly, I see only 2/15 members in one time zone, and everyone else in another time zone.  I know that at least a couple of the members who appear to be in one time zone are in another.  I don't see an option (as there is on some other forum platforms) to choose your time zone, so I'm not sure how that gets populated -- if it's based on IP address, it sure has guessed wrong.