News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Share your hypochondria here

Started by Thursday's_Child, June 09, 2019, 06:39:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thursday's_Child

Irhack originally started this topic in the CHE and I know we still need it!

Post your symptoms (and diagnosis, if you have one) here and we'll not only sympathize, but suggest appropriately tragic diagnoses!

Thursday's_Child

I think I have a rapidly growing brain tumor in my occipital lobe, or perhaps I've had a stroke there.  Symptoms started as a few blurry spots in my vision.  These were present when using either eye, so it has to be a brain dis-function.  In the last half hour they have coalesced into an arc of roughly triangular areas (at least 25 of them) that shimmer.  Every few seconds the arc jumps slightly to the right, then shimmers back to the left, going a bit farther every time.  It's increasing in size, too.

One small favor is that it's now too far left to interfere with my reading & writing, so I'm going to attempt to be productive during the little time that probably remains to me.

aside

Thanks for restarting this thread in our new venue!  Please keep posting as long as you are able.

I recently encountered ancient mouse droppings when cleaning out my mother's garage.  I now have every symptom of Hantavirus.  My nose is also twitching, and I'm craving cheese.

mamselle

I'm just hoping the slight bit of athlete's foot caused by my too-closed-in shoes won't turn into a flesh-eating infection that leaves me unable to walk (or dance)...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

irhack

Glad to see this thread revived!

The bottom of my right heel has been tingly on and off for awhile now. I thought I was just tying my shoelaces too tight but now I realize I have a tumor on my spine.

ciao_yall

Quote from: irhack on June 10, 2019, 05:39:38 AM
Glad to see this thread revived!

The bottom of my right heel has been tingly on and off for awhile now. I thought I was just tying my shoelaces too tight but now I realize I have a tumor on my spine.

Oh, it's probably just diabetes. They will amputate the foot an you'll be all better.

Tenured_Feminist

I have this dreadfully itchy patch just above the nape of my neck and a small lump. It hasn't progressed for a few weeks, so it's not shingles. Probably cancer.

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: Tenured_Feminist on June 10, 2019, 06:16:41 AM
I have this dreadfully itchy patch just above the nape of my neck and a small lump. It hasn't progressed for a few weeks, so it's not shingles. Probably cancer.

Definitely cancer if it also tingles.  If it only itches it's probably just a fungal infection.  You know, one of the sorts that do so much damage to the epidermis that it becomes permanently mottled with odd colors and textures and never regains the lost hair.

aside

Quote from: Thursday's_Child on June 10, 2019, 07:43:00 AM
Quote from: Tenured_Feminist on June 10, 2019, 06:16:41 AM

Definitely cancer if it also tingles.  If it only itches it's probably just a fungal infection.  You know, one of the sorts that do so much damage to the epidermis that it becomes permanently mottled with odd colors and textures and never regains the lost hair.

And sometimes moves to the brain through the ear canal.

bopper

Quote from: Thursday's_Child on June 09, 2019, 06:42:38 AM
I think I have a rapidly growing brain tumor in my occipital lobe, or perhaps I've had a stroke there.  Symptoms started as a few blurry spots in my vision.  These were present when using either eye, so it has to be a brain dis-function.  In the last half hour they have coalesced into an arc of roughly triangular areas (at least 25 of them) that shimmer.  Every few seconds the arc jumps slightly to the right, then shimmers back to the left, going a bit farther every time.  It's increasing in size, too.

One small favor is that it's now too far left to interfere with my reading & writing, so I'm going to attempt to be productive during the little time that probably remains to me.

It's related to migraines...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scintillating_scotoma

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: bopper on June 10, 2019, 07:56:17 AM
Quote from: Thursday's_Child on June 09, 2019, 06:42:38 AM

Oh dear!  I'd better spend the rest of the day laying down in a dark, quiet room with a cool cloth on my forehead.

irhack

It might be a detached cornea, in which case you may go blind. Might be good time to set up some dictation software on your computer so you can continue to post to the fora easily when that happens.

backatit

You never REALLY know whether it's a migraine or a brain tumor (or an aneurysm or stroke). Says she who actually had an MRI last month to be really, really sure (but I've had bad migraines for years and just added the REALLY fun symptom of extreme dizziness before one sets in). I'd gotten used to the flying spots aura (the first time I was sure I was having a stroke, and went to the ER, because I got extreme tunnel vision - I could only see out of one eye and part of the other.

It was loads of fun, btw, being told that you have "normal" white matter changes for a migraine patient. That is, my MRI is NOT normal for a normal person, but it's consistent with a relatively "normal" MRI for a long term migraine sufferer. Oh joy.

backatit

Quote from: irhack on June 10, 2019, 08:18:35 AM

It might be a detached cornea, in which case you may go blind. Might be good time to set up some dictation software on your computer so you can continue to post to the fora easily when that happens.

You should also do that if you have arthritis. Because one of these days you might just lose your hand function. Oooh, I'm on a roll today...

Juvenal

Could the skin tag spritzed this past week with liquid nitrogen by the dermdoc be something more dire?  After all, it's not seeable by self (mirror does not help much).  The dermdoc promises the growth will blacken and fall off...  Yet such things down in [description deleted by 'Administrator'] make one to wonder.
Cranky septuagenarian