News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Inhale Thread !

Started by mamselle, June 14, 2019, 06:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmLitHist

The repair guy fixed the washer ahead of schedule yesterday (bad pump replaced) and also wanted to listen to the dryer he'd fixed earlier this year. Something sounded "off" to him, so he checked and replaced a part on the dryer we didn't even know was broken--and he only charged for the washer pump and labor (no charge for the dryer labor and parts)! Only $150 later, and everything is fixed like new.

mamselle

Someone I really respect praised my work the other day in definitive terms.

To an isolated independent scholar, that was golden.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Great news everyone!

How old is your washer ALH?

AmLitHist

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on November 29, 2022, 01:28:07 PM
Great news everyone!

How old is your washer ALH?

We were trying to figure it out the other day.  I didn't pull out my receipt/manual, but it's got to be at least 8 or 9 years old.  The service tech said he usually replaces the pump in this model every 3 years or so, and since this was our first time (and we use that machine like it's a laundromat--it seems to be constantly running!), I'm very happy with it.  It's just a pretty plain-Jane top loading GE.  (I do remember being happy to get it on sale for something under $500--and the identical replacement is now up to nearly $800.)

ergative

1. Thanksgiving houseguests have finally left. Guest 1, one of Absolutive's former students, is a delight and a joy and always welcome. Guest 2, the new partner of Guest 1, was a bit hard to take. Think: ashrams and clown psychomagic and numerology and the kaballah. No, really. Also, Guest 2 put one of my good knives in the dishwasher, so I'm real glad they're gone.

2. I ordered some couches back in August. They're being delivered today! Yay, furniture!

paddington_bear

The last seven months my garage has been rebuilt, starting with a new foundation. Finally this week I have written my last check!! I have a new/better garage just in time for winter - although I had to use my neighbor's garage for the big snowstorm before Thanksgiving - and I can stop hemorrhaging money (and start saving for a vacation)! Now I need to find a shelf to put things on, or maybe a peg board to hang small garden tools and a garden hose on. And maybe one of those things where you can hang brooms and such on the wall.

Anon1787

Quote from: ergative on November 30, 2022, 01:16:29 AM
1. Thanksgiving houseguests have finally left. Guest 1, one of Absolutive's former students, is a delight and a joy and always welcome. Guest 2, the new partner of Guest 1, was a bit hard to take. Think: ashrams and clown psychomagic and numerology and the kaballah. No, really. Also, Guest 2 put one of my good knives in the dishwasher, so I'm real glad they're gone.

So the psychomagic of putting your knife in the dishwasher created rather than cleansed/healed your psychic wound?

ergative

Quote from: Anon1787 on December 01, 2022, 09:34:09 PM
Quote from: ergative on November 30, 2022, 01:16:29 AM

So the psychomagic of putting your knife in the dishwasher created rather than cleansed/healed your psychic wound?

Grrr. Also, we discovered that Guest 2 left a pair of pants balled up on the hall cabinet. Whyyyyy?

traductio

Wow -- I had to dig about six screens deep to find this thread.

Anyway, I get to take the oath of citizenship next week. Canada, you're stuck with me!

ergative

Quote from: traductio on February 22, 2023, 10:32:47 AM

Anyway, I get to take the oath of citizenship next week. Canada, you're stuck with me!

That's wonderful! Congratulations.

Juvenal

Quote from: ergative on February 22, 2023, 02:04:18 PM

But stay close to the border.  I lived two years near Edmonton and had forty-below now and then (relieved by Chinooks) and am now in the NYC area keeping an eye on my bananas.
Cranky septuagenarian

Puget

OMG. Two collaborators and I just wrote a grant in two weeks, with a crazy sprint to the finish today, and it was just submitted with mere moments to spare (well, the grants office person MAY have been persuaded to stay a little late if absolutely necessary).

I think we did a pretty good job in that time, and even if this RFA doesn't work out (likely), we can retool and submit elsewhere (hopefully with more lead time!).

Now I am tired (though not as tired as the lead PI, who track changes show was working until 3 AM and again at 8 AM today)-- dinner, mindless TV and bed are in order.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

traductio

Quote from: Juvenal on February 23, 2023, 02:56:25 PM
Quote from: ergative on February 22, 2023, 02:04:18 PM

But stay close to the border.  I lived two years near Edmonton and had forty-below now and then (relieved by Chinooks) and am now in the NYC area keeping an eye on my bananas.

I used to live in North Dakota. Forty below is not unknown to me! And where we live now -- in Canada -- is warmer, although not warm.

Parasaurolophus

Got the first comped copies of my book today.

Even better, there was just enough extra room for it on my bookshelf.
I know it's a genus.

apl68

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 23, 2023, 08:08:01 PM
Got the first comped copies of my book today.

Even better, there was just enough extra room for it on my bookshelf.

That must be truly exciting.  Congratulations!
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.