News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Grad School Life?

Started by filologos, May 18, 2019, 06:59:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

filologos

Any chance of recreating the Grad School Life subforum? It hadn't gotten much traffic for a while, but occasionally I and others found it useful.

eigen

I think that's part of the larger discussion about number of forums. The idea floated was to separate by area (teaching, research, service) rather than tier (grad school, tenure track, contingent).

I think we might need a general academic category, separate from general chat, for inquiries that cover unspecified academic life whether it's grad school, the TT cohort threads, etc.
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

mamselle

I was also wondering if, with the recent-ish loss of GradCafe, it might not serve a function as well in that sense.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: mamselle on May 18, 2019, 01:31:30 PM
I was also wondering if, with the recent-ish loss of GradCafe, it might not serve a function as well in that sense.

M.

Could do, if they can find their way over (from what I could tell, the GradCafe funnel wasn't great at the best of times). But TGC isn't dead at all (yet); they just lost most of their moderator staff. From what I can tell from my own limited use of the site, the unfortunate changes mostly haven't been implemented yet.
I know it's a genus.

namazu

Quote from: eigen on May 18, 2019, 07:02:19 AM
I think that's part of the larger discussion about number of forums. The idea floated was to separate by area (teaching, research, service) rather than tier (grad school, tenure track, contingent).
I like this more parsimonious approach, but the general categories of teaching, research, and service don't cover some major grad student concerns like dealing with advisors, courses, oral/comprehensive exams, etc., so there would be a gap there.

Quote from: eigenI think we might need a general academic category, separate from general chat, for inquiries that cover unspecified academic life whether it's grad school, the TT cohort threads, etc.
Good idea.

polly_mer

Quote from: namazu on May 18, 2019, 10:45:20 PM
Quote from: eigenI think we might need a general academic category, separate from general chat, for inquiries that cover unspecified academic life whether it's grad school, the TT cohort threads, etc.
Good idea.

I second the idea to start with a more general academic board and then see what needs to be split into its own board.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

eigen

Ok, slight board reorganization. See what you think of the changes.

We now have 3 broad categories: Help (which has our only guest-post access), General (includes non-academic discussions, as well as discussions on articles), and Academics (which includes all of our topic specific boards as well as a "general" academic discussion forum).
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

polly_mer

I like the new classifications.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!