News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Why so quiet?

Started by Myword, March 16, 2023, 06:52:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruralguy

One thing I have noticed among academics is that even scientists engage in "magical thinking" such as "we will always have at least the number of tenure track positions we have now, no matter what the circumstances."

Almost all academics go through "administrators are evil" phases, and will rarely  *fairly* examine the reasons why certain decisions were made.  Granted, many administrators go through the "faculty are spoiled brats and not as smart as they think they are" phase as well.

I bring this up because I think Polly often did a good job at examining some of these issues by revealing the state of the profession and discussing some of her own professional examples (particularly at "Super Dinky College").  However, sometimes responses to criticism appeared to be dogmatic. Even so, I wouldn't mind seeing more from time to time.

Caracal

Quote from: Ruralguy on June 14, 2023, 07:46:59 AMOne thing I have noticed among academics is that even scientists engage in "magical thinking" such as "we will always have at least the number of tenure track positions we have now, no matter what the circumstances."

Almost all academics go through "administrators are evil" phases, and will rarely  *fairly* examine the reasons why certain decisions were made.  Granted, many administrators go through the "faculty are spoiled brats and not as smart as they think they are" phase as well.

I bring this up because I think Polly often did a good job at examining some of these issues by revealing the state of the profession and discussing some of her own professional examples (particularly at "Super Dinky College").  However, sometimes responses to criticism appeared to be dogmatic. Even so, I wouldn't mind seeing more from time to time.

I agree that Polly did sometimes have useful and interesting things to say. I think the response to criticism went beyond dogmatism, though. If you disagreed with anything she said you were deluded at best, and possibly had malicious intentions. At any rate, you were dangerous and you had to be destroyed. It's quieter on here, but I actually think there have been some interesting and useful discussions and it's nice to know that you can write something and come back to find some thoughtful responses without having to worry that you'll find some unpleasant personal attack.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Caracal on June 15, 2023, 08:06:47 AM
Quote from: Ruralguy on June 14, 2023, 07:46:59 AMOne thing I have noticed among academics is that even scientists engage in "magical thinking" such as "we will always have at least the number of tenure track positions we have now, no matter what the circumstances."

I agree that Polly did sometimes have useful and interesting things to say. I think the response to criticism went beyond dogmatism, though. If you disagreed with anything she said you were deluded at best, and possibly had malicious intentions. At any rate, you were dangerous and you had to be destroyed. It's quieter on here, but I actually think there have been some interesting and useful discussions and it's nice to know that you can write something and come back to find some thoughtful responses without having to worry that you'll find some unpleasant personal attack.

If Polly was guilty of this, then there are still more than enough to take her place. (Although perhaps not with the same views as she expressed.)
It takes so little to be above average.

Caracal

Quote from: marshwiggle on June 15, 2023, 10:37:14 AM
Quote from: Caracal on June 15, 2023, 08:06:47 AM

If Polly was guilty of this, then there are still more than enough to take her place. (Although perhaps not with the same views as she expressed.)

In the world, sure, but I haven't really seen it here lately. There's sometimes some disagreement and it occasionally gets a little grumpy or passionate, but I haven't seen it become personal in the way it used to get on here. It would be silly to argue that you can't take some arguments or opinions as the result of malign intentions or willful ignorance, but I only want to arrive at that conclusion as a last resort when more charitable interpretations fail.

Caracal

At any rate, I don't think we need to rehash stuff. I guess it would be nice if we got some new users, but I do think there's something to be said for calmer and smaller.

downer

I'd say the main advantage to more contributors is to increase the chance of finding people to do the work to run the site, so it isn't left to the goodwill and availability of basically two people.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Myword

Well, I see some nice changes since I last logged in. Except the print is smaller.

My  interest is in Research Scholarship and nothing much new happens..

the forum would be livelier if people would post open ended questions on academic concerns that we have opinions on...general, personal as if a survey. What if--- Why do-- Do you ever--

eigen

As a note, I wonder if we might consider breaking some of our super long threads into those by season, if not month?

A few people mentioned trying to move over here from Reddit recently, and that it felt very hard to get started because most of the active threads were multi-year discussions to catch up on.
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

Hibush

Quote from: namazu on June 12, 2023, 11:18:19 PMNot Parasaurolophus, but if I search for higher education forum it's result 4 in Google for me. 
Number 1 at DuckDuckGo! I get #6 at Google, with the Facebook Higher Ed Forum at #3.

dismalist

Quote from: eigen on June 19, 2023, 06:25:09 PMAs a note, I wonder if we might consider breaking some of our super long threads into those by season, if not month?

A few people mentioned trying to move over here from Reddit recently, and that it felt very hard to get started because most of the active threads were multi-year discussions to catch up on.

It's true, some threads just don't die, and hell they should! Reminds me of the old fora on which somebody was often called "the thread killer" [don't remember who] and was appealed to from time to time. 

For current participants, it'd be hopefully enough to know, with Bismarck, that the trick is knowing when to stop!
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: eigen on June 19, 2023, 06:25:09 PMAs a note, I wonder if we might consider breaking some of our super long threads into those by season, if not month?

That could certainly be done. I can close a few and re-open them as summer threads on the 21, to see how that goes.

Quote from: dismalist on June 19, 2023, 09:40:26 PMIt's true, some threads just don't die, and hell they should! Reminds me of the old fora on which somebody was often called "the thread killer" [don't remember who] and was appealed to from time to time. 

The_Fiona
I know it's a genus.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 19, 2023, 10:19:57 PM

That could certainly be done. I can close a few and re-open them as summer threads on the 21, to see how that goes.

I have no idea what that means.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: marshwiggle on June 20, 2023, 05:22:41 AM

The 21 is the usual benchmark for the changing of the seasons. On June 21, it will be summer.

Or do you mean the procedure in question? I will close some overlarge threads. And then post a new thread by the same title with a seasonal designation.
I know it's a genus.

dismalist

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 20, 2023, 07:18:39 AM

The 21 is the usual benchmark for the changing of the seasons. On June 21, it will be summer.

Or do you mean the procedure in question? I will close some overlarge threads. And then post a new thread by the same title with a seasonal designation.

You don't need to post a new thread with the same title. If somebody misses his or her thread s/he can post a thread with  another name.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

marshwiggle

Quote from: dismalist on June 20, 2023, 12:43:58 PM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 20, 2023, 07:18:39 AM

You don't need to post a new thread with the same title. If somebody misses his or her thread s/he can post a thread with  another name.

What happens to a thread that's "closed"? I guess it will drop off the leader board after a few days if it's not pinned somewhere. If someone wants to start a new one, it could be tedious for a while for people who remember the old one and want to find it to quote from it.