News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Post For Stuff You Wanna Tell People

Started by Parasaurolophus, May 17, 2019, 10:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polly_mer

Repeatedly, for years, people asked about the original Blue Rhinoceros Triangle post and sighed heavily over not being able to find it.  The CHE Posting Hall of Fame has it on the first page.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

polly_mer

I was looking for something else and encountered again "The Top 100 Things I'd Do if I Ever Became an Evil Overlord".

I post the link here in case anyone else needs to remember to run all plans by a small child to look for flaws that can be corrected prior to implementation.

https://www.chaosmatrix.org/library/humor/evilovl.html

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: polly_mer on June 29, 2019, 09:37:21 PM
I was looking for something else and encountered again "The Top 100 Things I'd Do if I Ever Became an Evil Overlord".

I post the link here in case anyone else needs to remember to run all plans by a small child to look for flaws that can be corrected prior to implementation.

Oh! Yeahyeah! I'm so glad that's still available!
I know it's a genus.

ergative

Either one workman, or several in succession, have whistled the following tunes outside my office window this morning:

1. The sad mopey Luke theme from Star Wars
2. The Quantum Leap theme song
3. Yankee Doodle

A certain invarience in tone quality and intonation leads me to believe it is the same performer for all three tuens.

In between musical interludes we have heavy machinery.

Conjugate

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 29, 2019, 11:06:29 PM
Quote from: polly_mer on June 29, 2019, 09:37:21 PM

Oh! Yeahyeah! I'm so glad that's still available!

It's also at the original site (though Malwarebytes warns me that it has a trojan, which I find... dubious).
http://eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html
∀ε>0∃δ>0∋|x–a|<δ⇒|ƒ(x)-ƒ(a)|<ε

mamselle

Quote from: polly_mer on June 29, 2019, 05:59:07 AM
Repeatedly, for years, people asked about the original Blue Rhinoceros Triangle post and sighed heavily over not being able to find it.  The CHE Posting Hall of Fame has it on the first page.

There was also a later thread, with a link to a photo album site that Pry or Voxy put up with several options, possibly to have been voted on? (I think...)

I saved each of them separately as picture files and continue to use them for greeting placards at meetups.

I also still have one done, I think, for the Paris meetup in 2009, with a classical Greek building and a small biting insect as a pun, saying "Bien venue, 'xxx' + 'guy's, but I never uploaded it.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

polly_mer

I just love this Slate article that can so easily be substituted to be "Every Conversation With A Mentally Stuck Individual".

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/low_concept/2015/10/every_conversation_between_a_parent_and_a_child_in_four_conversations.html

Around my house, the joke has become "I have new information: I need it" when we see a mentally stuck person.

Parasaurolophus

I took the path through the woods down to the ferry this morning, stumbled, my ankle rolled, and I landed right on it and then nearly tumbled the rest of the way down the hill head over heels. 'Twas rather painful, and for a few seconds I thought I'd broken it and would have to crawl back up the hill to get to the road. But then I checked my mobility, and it was fine, if painful, so I hirpled the rest of the way down to the ferry, by which point most of the pain had dissipated.

Also, the other day, the car was parked in such a way that when I opened the door, gravity assisted me and I smashed myself in the face with it. So. I'm winning this week big time.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Hirple.

Thanks!

It was used not too long ago here, or one the CHE threads...glad to see it again, now that I know what it means...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: mamselle on August 02, 2019, 02:57:00 PM
Hirple.

Thanks!

It was used not too long ago here, or one the CHE threads...glad to see it again, now that I know what it means...

M.

It may well have been me. I stole it from Robert Low's viking novels years ago.

Then again, I think it's more commonly used in the UK.
I know it's a genus.

aside

polly_mer

Quote from: aside on August 02, 2019, 07:31:38 PM
Please don't "reply all."

I prefer the amended version of:

Please check your recipient list and compare it to the point of your message. 

A group bigger than 5 people?  Reply all is probably the wrong choice.

A group that was only a couple people and we're making plans?  Please reply all, not just the last respondent on the chain, so we're all in the loop.

aside

Quote from: polly_mer on August 03, 2019, 05:31:42 AM

A group that was only a couple people and we're making plans?  Please reply all, not just the last respondent on the chain, so we're all in the loop.

Amended version is agreeable, of course, though the size of the recipient list matters less to me than the purpose of the message to which one is responding.

polly_mer

Quote from: aside on August 03, 2019, 06:22:02 AM
Quote from: polly_mer on August 03, 2019, 05:31:42 AM

Amended version is agreeable, of course, though the size of the recipient list matters less to me than the purpose of the message to which one is responding.

I mention size because the conversation at work recently was whether we could get an email feature that checks the size of the recipient list and pop up a "2562 recipients.  Are you really sure you want to send this message?" after someone yet again replied all with personal information to a general announcement and the personal information was not flattering to the sender--think along the lines of clearly didn't read the syllabus or the last four related announcements, but now is really concerned that this thing is happening tomorrow and it conflicts with personal, important plans.

The next most annoying aspect is the person who then replies all yet again to apologize to the big list.  No!  Just quietly complain offline to your neighbor about failing at email and let it be.

paultuttle

The rabbits in our back yard are becoming bolder. They'll stay right there, nibbling on grass, while you drive up and park about 10 feet away.

(warning: 80s phrase approaching in 3, 2, 1 . . . .)

What's up with that?