News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Random Thoughts Anew

Started by mamselle, May 27, 2019, 09:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbogumbo

When it comes to using my hands I believe it's possible that every primate and monkey on the planet is more adroit than I.

I conceded to raccoons long ago.

apl68

I hear that some kids want a hippopotamus for Christmas.  When I was a kid, all anybody wanted for Christmas was their two front teeth!
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

secundem_artem

We live on Earth and so we dig holes in the earth.  If we lived on Mars, would we dig holes in the mars, or would it still be earth?

Is "I tries to learn 'em up good" an effective philosophy of teaching?  It seems more compelling than the usual pablum I read in P&T dossiers.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

apl68

Quote from: secundem_artem on December 05, 2022, 08:53:19 AM
We live on Earth and so we dig holes in the earth.  If we lived on Mars, would we dig holes in the mars, or would it still be earth?

Is "I tries to learn 'em up good" an effective philosophy of teaching?  It seems more compelling than the usual pablum I read in P&T dossiers.

1.  When digging on Mars, maybe it would be safest just to say "soil."

2.  It sounds like a better philosophy than a teacher admitting to using poke-and-puke methods of instruction, which seems to be what so much education amounts to.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

Harlow2

The amount of junk mail in my university account is proliferating. First it was the journals racket, then stuff only remotely related to education, and now just random stuff including for-profit organizations that want to help me sort through my finances. It's rapidly overtaking the legitimate university emails.

Langue_doc

Not sure where to post this, but here goes:
QuoteTrump Sells a New Image as the Hero of $99 Trading Cards

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/15/us/politics/trump-nft-trading-cards-superhero.html?searchResultPosition=3

Headline in the NYPost, the conservative daily https://nypost.com/
QuoteNFT? WTF!

Did we really have this idiot representing the country!?

Juvenal

Quote from: Langue_doc on December 16, 2022, 12:25:55 PM
Not sure where to post this, but here goes:
QuoteTrump Sells a New Image as the Hero of $99 Trading Cards

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/15/us/politics/trump-nft-trading-cards-superhero.html?searchResultPosition=3

Headline in the NYPost, the conservative daily https://nypost.com/
QuoteNFT? WTF!

Did we really have this idiot representing the country!?

Well, yes, to my recall.
Cranky septuagenarian

secundem_artem

Nothing creates misogynists faster than a crowded store around Christmas.  Bovine herds moving slowly through the aisles 3 carts wide.  Standing in front of wherever I need to be and just staring at the shelves like they've just awoken from a thousand year nap and have never seen canned corn.  Gawd awful syrupy, schmaltzy music from which there is no escape. 

I love humanity.  It's just people that drive me crazy.

apl68

I just remind myself that fellow shoppers are often preoccupied about their various challenges in life, and often tired after a long day.  As am I.  And try to remember to stay out of their way, which can be a real challenge in crowded store aisles.

ciao_yall

Quote from: secundem_artem on December 19, 2022, 10:17:03 AM
Nothing creates misogynists faster than a crowded store around Christmas.  Bovine herds moving slowly through the aisles 3 carts wide.  Standing in front of wherever I need to be and just staring at the shelves like they've just awoken from a thousand year nap and have never seen canned corn.  Gawd awful syrupy, schmaltzy music from which there is no escape. 

Misogynists or misanthropists? Both genders are equally capable of the behavior you describe.

secundem_artem

Quote from: ciao_yall on December 19, 2022, 01:01:14 PM

Misogynists or misanthropists? Both genders are equally capable of the behavior you describe.

My bad - meant to say misanthropists.  Apologies to the forumites who suffered this unintended calumny.

Cheerful

Gawd awful syrupy, schmaltzy music from which there is no escape. 

"Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree!" has blared during every single visit to my grocery store for the last two months.  How do the employees endure this without ear plugs?

apl68

I like going places that play Christmas music during this time of year, myself.  That said, some seasonal songs--and arrangements of particular pieces--are definitely better than others.  And what's with everybody playing "Santa Baby" this year?  I could do without hearing that one all the time.  At least I've also gotten to hear some of the truly heart-stirring songs.  And Vince Guaraldi's "Linus and Lucy" from the Charlie Brown special.

apl68

Somebody just donated two dozen diet books to our library.  I have no idea who it is, and don't really want to know--sometimes book donations make you feel like you've just gotten too much information about somebody. 

This donation contains a remarkable amount of quackery in one place.  It's kind of sad to see.  The donor's repeated forays into dieting suggest a lot of disappointing outcomes for a lot of effort over the years.

Langue_doc

QuoteHouse Ethics Committee Opens Inquiry Into George Santos
The House Ethics Committee unanimously voted to authorize an investigation into whether Mr. Santos broke various laws or engaged in sexual misconduct.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/02/nyregion/george-santos-ethics-investigation.html

Woohoo! Someone should investigate his opponent for not following up on the report published by a Long Island newspaper. It appears that the democrats and the media refused to pull their heads from out of the sand.