News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

the "things you wish you could say" thread

Started by archaeo42, May 30, 2019, 01:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishbrains

Your kid is failing the class for two basic reasons: 1) She sits there and masturbates on her phone throughout the entire class period, and 2) She's not intelligent enough to pull last-minute essays out of her a$$.

This. Is. Not. Complicated.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

Puget

Look, student life people, I'm sure you're well-intentioned, but asking faculty to consider eating lunch with students in the dining halls paying $15 out of our own pockets to do so to "foster community", really ever, but especially at this point in the semester where we are overwhelmed by service and teaching duties as well as the usual research, is just not where it's at. Give us a free meal plan and service credit for it and then maybe we can talk.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

fishbrains

Quote from: Puget on November 21, 2023, 02:08:40 PMLook, student life people, I'm sure you're well-intentioned, but asking faculty to consider eating lunch with students in the dining halls paying $15 out of our own pockets to do so to "foster community", really ever, but especially at this point in the semester where we are overwhelmed by service and teaching duties as well as the usual research, is just not where it's at. Give us a free meal plan and service credit for it and then maybe we can talk.

Uggers. And I'm surprised by how often the good people on that side of things think most faculty are extroverts. I don't even like to see my own reflection when I eat, much less other people. And, yeah, that we have a whole lot of loose change jingling away in our pockets.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

secundem_artem

Black Friday.  Small Business Saturday.  Cyber Monday.  And Giving Tuesday.

Can we please also have Leave Me the Fvck Alone Wednesday?
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: secundem_artem on November 27, 2023, 07:09:57 AMBlack Friday.  Small Business Saturday.  Cyber Monday.  And Giving Tuesday.

Can we please also have Leave Me the Fvck Alone Wednesday?

Ha!

apl68

Quote from: fishbrains on November 21, 2023, 05:45:41 PM
Quote from: Puget on November 21, 2023, 02:08:40 PMLook, student life people, I'm sure you're well-intentioned, but asking faculty to consider eating lunch with students in the dining halls paying $15 out of our own pockets to do so to "foster community", really ever, but especially at this point in the semester where we are overwhelmed by service and teaching duties as well as the usual research, is just not where it's at. Give us a free meal plan and service credit for it and then maybe we can talk.

Uggers. And I'm surprised by how often the good people on that side of things think most faculty are extroverts. I don't even like to see my own reflection when I eat, much less other people. And, yeah, that we have a whole lot of loose change jingling away in our pockets.

Even Alma Mater, which is a SLAC where faculty have traditionally been on easy terms with students, never had expectations like that regarding faculty meals in the cafeteria.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

hmaria1609

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on November 27, 2023, 05:27:38 PMHa!
Chime! :D

Don't get me started about the end of the year pledge drives on most PBS stations! The prerecorded pledge pitch segments go on and on. You're watching an awesome show not for those syndicated monetary appeals.

Langue_doc

I had multiple emails all day from the same organizations asking for money, money, and more money, with one organization offering 450% matching funds. Do they think that money grows on trees? Or that we have so much disposable income that we can indiscriminately spend, spend, spend? As for the prerecorded PBS panhandling, the money that one of the panhandlers seems to have spent on her hair and makeup could easily have gone to PBS instead of to her stylist!

the_geneticist

Be glad they aren't asking you to "volunteer" to wash dishes or help students move out of the dorms at the end of the term.

secundem_artem

Quote from: the_geneticist on November 29, 2023, 11:46:33 AM

Be glad they aren't asking you to "volunteer" to wash dishes or help students move out of the dorms at the end of the term.

I've got an idea.  Help move student furniture - the heavier the better.  Slip & fall on the stairs.  Soft tissue back injury that does not show up on X ray or ultrasound.  Worker's Comp baby!!!  Pay me to sit at home and play with the dog!!
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

apl68

I couldn't help noticing that your menu advertised a sandwich with "basaltic" vinaigrette.  Either you meant "balsamic," or you serve some mighty gritty vinaigrette. 
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

bio-nonymous

To colleague with hyper-inflated self-worth: "Yes, you keep seeming to get away with being aggressive and overbearing to the department chair, the upper administration, and anyone else who you want to try to bully. However, I would caution you that people have long memories, and acting like an ass whenever your feel the slightest bit provoked is not a good look, and might come back to bite you. PLUS, all of your little co-I grants and middle author papers really aren't as impressive as you seem to think...there is a reason why you were told to not bother trying to go up for tenure early!"

apl68

Thank you for letting me know that my health insurance information was possibly compromised, and that I may be entitled to benefits from a settlement. 

However, I am not signed up with your service.  And the name on the card is not mine.  This person hasn't lived at my address in over a decade.  In fact, I understand that he has been deceased for over a decade.  I know this because I bought the place from his widow over nine years ago.

Your business really should do something about cleaning up its files and mailing lists.

Langue_doc

Oh, dear! Crazy is the understatment of the year.

apl68

Quote from: redcrazykid on December 31, 2023, 02:55:00 AMCan you find my phone?

No, but I found a large remote lying in the street on my way to work.  Or anyway, the remains of one.