marshwiggle

It takes so little to be above average.

aside

Quote from: marshwiggle on March 21, 2022, 11:06:04 AM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on March 21, 2022, 10:56:52 AM
Quote from: jimbogumbo on March 21, 2022, 10:55:27 AM
No one should forget Red Green.

He's very handy.

I was in the live audience for one of his shows.

Probably more entertaining than the alternative.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

aside

As a fellow musician, I would not regret not having bought an accordion, but perhaps we march to different drummers.

Anselm

Quote from: aside on March 22, 2022, 02:22:09 PM
As a fellow musician, I would not regret not having bought an accordion, but perhaps we march to different drummers.

Elvis killed off the accordion industry.  I had one as a boy but never got proper lessons even though my father played one in a band.  They have been coming back due to popularity among Mexican-Americans.

I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on March 21, 2022, 09:43:45 PM

He's very handy.

Oh, cool! I hope it was fun!

Yeah the audience are all in "Possum Lodge", and during the closing credits the camera pans over the lodge members and so you can almost make us out if you know where to look.
(If the show is still on some sort of streaming service; that would have been 30+ years ago.)

jimbogumbo

Quote from: Anselm on March 22, 2022, 02:39:04 PM
Quote from: aside on March 22, 2022, 02:22:09 PM

Elvis killed off the accordion industry.  I had one as a boy but never got proper lessons even though my father played one in a band.  They have been coming back due to popularity among Mexican-Americans.

Never were unpopular in certain areas:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1IPk5UmnHU

mamselle

Re: accordions: Not for all of us...

1) Jazz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNCM_dBeWQk

2) Orchestral:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKptyDDBKIg

3) Ethnic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zQ3dyGV0oI

All those were either starting or already well-known before, during and after Elvis.

I've met two in person.

M. 
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mahagonny

And speaking of white achievement. A white musician, Gabor Szabo, forced his black piano player, Bobby Womack, to write a song they called 'Breezin'' which Szabo then performed, followed by weak record sales. But then George Benson, always with his ear to the ground, rerecorded it and had a smash hit. Dealing white colonialism another well deserved smackdown.

apl68

Quote from: marshwiggle on March 22, 2022, 02:59:03 PM

He's very handy.

Yeah the audience are all in "Possum Lodge", and during the closing credits the camera pans over the lodge members and so you can almost make us out if you know where to look.
(If the show is still on some sort of streaming service; that would have been 30+ years ago.)

Did you get to see the Possum Van?  That's something rural Americans can identify with too.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

marshwiggle

Quote from: apl68 on March 23, 2022, 06:25:29 AM
Quote from: marshwiggle on March 22, 2022, 02:59:03 PM

He's very handy.

Did you get to see the Possum Van?  That's something rural Americans can identify with too.

I don't think it was in the studio. I imagine the outdoor segments were filmed some other time without an audience.

bacardiandlime

Oh look, another thread that's a total dumpster fire. JFC

mamselle

I know, I give it three tries and then I give up.

Trial 3 just went down. So, I'm out.

Some folks just gotta...somepthin'...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.