News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Post your asides here

Started by aside, June 05, 2019, 09:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbogumbo

The many Twitter responses to "gazpacho police" were hilarious! My favorite was Jose Andres!

apl68

Nothing goes with a winter evening like a piping hot bowl of gazpacho.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

jimbogumbo

FishProf

SPADFY people. 

Do we need a SC(onditions)ADFY? 

I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

aside

[unrelated]

That's DEI, not DIE, for a reason.  One sees the plight of the adjunct so clearly yet feels threatened by current "lefty" efforts to address social and racial injustice.   Lived experience certainly shapes individual perception, yet it also may be applied toward recognizing the lived experiences of others.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

mahagonny

Quote from: aside on February 16, 2022, 10:45:53 AM
[unrelated]

That's DEI, not DIE, for a reason.  One sees the plight of the adjunct so clearly yet feels threatened by current "lefty" efforts to address social and racial injustice.   Lived experience certainly shapes individual perception, yet it also may be applied toward recognizing the lived experiences of others.

I did that intentionally. These flea-brained diversity initiatives are the graveyard of hope and optimism.

My problem with lefty efforts to address social and racial injustice is not how they affect me. How they affect me in mostly just the nuisance of hearing about them, and maybe being subjected to a bullshit accusation of using racially insensitive language or such My problem with them is they are idiotic and they hurt the people they purport to help by cast ing them as victims while they enrich the people with the snake oil. I don't have time to explain further, but the man after my heart is Coleman Hughes, if you're interested.

permanent imposter

Quote from: FishProf on February 15, 2022, 10:54:00 AM
SPADFY people. 

What does this mean? I've seen it around here more than a few times. Google thinks I'm asking about "Spotify" when I do a search.

namazu

Quote from: permanent imposter on February 18, 2022, 02:33:45 PM
SPADFY people. 
What does this mean? I've seen it around here more than a few times. Google thinks I'm asking about "Spotify" when I do a search.
SPADFY = "Some people are different from you."
See also "Assembling the Lexicon".

mahagonny

You're so 'Ignore Wars.' You probably think this song is about you.

FishProf

SPADFY people. 

Do we need a SC(onditions)ADFY?

In consultation with the Assembling the Lexicon thread, SCADFY yields due to priority to YMMV.

smallcleanrat

When I say a thing, I have really been trying to anticipate what someone might think I am saying (or implying), but am definitely not saying. At least, I'm not trying to say it.

I try to include some kind of disclaimer remark on what I am not saying.

It hasn't seemed to help much.

I'm not sure how to do this better.

FishProf

Many people don't listen to understand, they listen to respond (and they usually listen poorly).

smallcleanrat

Quote from: FishProf on February 20, 2022, 11:47:01 AM
Many people don't listen to understand, they listen to respond (and they usually listen poorly).

It gets confusing.

I don't know if it's to make fun of me or if that's really what they think I am saying.

Though there are a lot of people who assume any discussion of the link between biology and behavior is the same as saying no one is responsible for anything they do and should never be held accountable.

There are people who try to make arguments like this, but such arguments are not necessarily implied by the biology.

I guess some people interpret statements about brain development or learning disabilities or mental illness as a precursor to a list of demands.

I don't know why that is-ought separation is so difficult for some people, but it seems important to figure out how to communicate it.

If an out-and-out disclaimer does nothing, is it hopeless?